The "I hate Specialized" Bandwagon...... what's the deal?

L.T.G

I have a brand new(well rode it twice) Black 2013 155 Expert that I took off my Epic as I needed a smaller one.

I am not in JHB till the 8th of December again (wedding and honeymoon) but if you can wait till then its yours.

YOU Are MY HERO !!!!   Congrats and all the BEST (will see you when you back).

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in in the exact same boat..I spent almost 2 months trying to make up my mind between the Camber and Epic, back and forth on the test bikes. I've got a very patient and accommodating lbs. 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/140397-what-came-first-the-chickenamber-or-the-eggpic-a-long-probably-boring-read/

I eventually decided on the Camber Comp Carbon and couldn't be happier! bike is awesome! Except for the brakes, I can't fault it at all. (2015 model comes with better brakes, Deore I think)

Thanks for the link...much appreciated!

Just a question ... is it just me or are there a s...load of Spezzes up for sale here at the moment?

I have my own theory... ;)

Edited by Izak

I was in in the exact same boat..I spent almost 2 months trying to make up my mind between the Camber and Epic, back and forth on the test bikes. I've got a very patient and accommodating lbs. 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/140397-what-came-first-the-chickenamber-or-the-eggpic-a-long-probably-boring-read/

I eventually decided on the Camber Comp Carbon and couldn't be happier! bike is awesome! Except for the brakes, I can't fault it at all. (2015 model comes with better brakes, Deore I think)

Yip, Me too, got the Camber Comp Carbon, threw off those crappy Formula C1 brakes, fitted XT with ICE Tec rotors.....heaven on two wheels.....ok not quite, but pretty damn close...

I changed my brakes to XT the day i got my 2014 camber comp carbon.  Best brakes ever them XT

I changed my brakes to XT the day i got my 2014 camber comp carbon.  Best brakes ever them XT

I put new Deores on my STR SS build earlier this year, they're pretty awesome.. i think they'd do the job for me.

Just a question ... is it just me or are there a s...load of Spezzes up for sale here at the moment?

I have my own theory... ;)

All carbon parts ,GLOSS paint ,Chrome and stickers are guaranteed for a year only :whistling:

Yip, Me too, got the Camber Comp Carbon, threw off those crappy Formula C1 brakes, fitted XT with ICE Tec rotors.....heaven on two wheels.....ok not quite, but pretty damn close...

Same here, put XT with Ice Tech rotors on my Camber Comp Carbon, they're brilliant.

Eish, seems something is a little off if you buy a Spez Comp Carbon bike then still have to change the brakes. Bum breaks. :devil:

I love the T1's on my Stumpy, others change out ASAP. Most shops would only be too happy to swop out a pair of Formula's for Shimano's before the bike leaves the shop.

There's going to be a lot of love for Specialized on the Origin of Trails in Stellenbosch today. Without their assistance the trails up and down that mountain would not have existed.

After riding origin of Trails, I see it is simply not good enough to ride a spez anymore, if you want to be one of the manne, you need to have a snor as well. I don't think I will ever be one of the cool kids.

Edited by PhilipV

I cannot lie - I lusted after a Spez Stumpjumper. One of my riding partner had one and it was plush and stable machine of note. But he had considerable trouble with it (spokes, brakes & front derailleur come to mind); all needing Spez attention at considerable cost and poor outcomes. Eventually he fixed some of the problems himself, others by um, other mechanics.  Current friends with Spez MTB's have at least as many problems as I do and they are expensive fixes; particularly the suspension.

So I came to the conclusion that twice the price does not mean half the ***. Hence I have a Giant Trance with its little irritations; stock tyres and the chain idler but I convince myself it's all I need; value for money etc etc.  It's only sort of working.

people were building trails in the western cape long before Spaz started using it as a marketing engine. Giant were the first to sponsor Dirtopia and trail advocacy in the Western Cape. Guess your heads to far up Spaz arse for you to know a bit of history. Before then, CCS was sponsoring the Cannondale XC series that also resulted in lots of trails being built.

But since MTB only started 5 years ago when Spaz started talking I guess they invented the trails too...