The "I hate Specialized" Bandwagon...... what's the deal?

L.T.G

Back on topic. Had a Specialized MTB years ago. I wont get one again, cos Mike Sinyard reminds me a bit of Lance...

True true

Great product

Poor corporate ethics bully

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rode Big Red Barn this past Saturday and a guy on his Epic in full Specialized kit came flying past me while I was on my Epic and *only* had Specialized gloves on and a mix and match of other kit, so now I need to go get the rest of the kit this week so I am faster this weekend....;)

There is obviously no way he just was a better rider than me :P

Edited by Lurch

Bobby B of Spaz  has some fast times on Strava at Jonkers. It must be cos he built the trails :-)

Agree it didnt all start with S sponsorship - Jonkers has been amazing for years. The money the trail peeps raise is not only from Specialized as far as I know. Anyone have details on who pays what there? 

It may well be marketing but at least its being spent in the right place. Scott have signage at the gate but don't pay a cent towards the trails. I'd rather S spent their money at Jonkers than at an Ad Agency.

I rode Big Red Barn this past Saturday and a guy on his Epic in full Specialized kit came flying past me while I was on my Epic and *only* had Specialized gloves on and a mix and match of other kit, so now I need to go get the rest of the kit this week so I am faster this weekend.... ;)

There is obviously no way he just was a better rider than me :P

There is proof :thumbup: , Best i get more kit  :w00t:

Interesting topic and one I'm only joining now.

For me the reason to dislike and not support Specialized is due to market pricing and price benchmarking.

As the world's number one manufacturer, they have the power to make top end bikes more affordable and they don't, in fact they are the first to raise the price bar for bikes. They were the first manufacturer to release a $10k mtb, not even boutique brands like Intense push for that kind of pricing. Also "FSR" or Horst link as the rest of the world knows it, is complete marketing hype, something you will discover very quickly after you spend time on a VPP (SC/ Intense) or dual link virtual pivot bike (like Giant's Maestro)

I'm definitely on the f*&% Specialized train, over rated, over priced and definitely not special

For me the reason to dislike and not support Specialized is due to market pricing and price benchmarking.

As the world's number one manufacturer, they have the power to make top end bikes more affordable and they don't, in fact they are the first to raise the price bar for bikes. They were the first manufacturer to release a $10k mtb, not even boutique brands like Intense push for that kind of pricing. Also "FSR" or Horst link as the rest of the world knows it, is complete marketing hype, something you will discover very quickly after you spend time on a VPP (SC/ Intense) or dual link virtual pivot bike (like Giant's Maestro)

I'm definitely on the f*&% Specialized train, over rated, over priced and definitely not special

ya, but they are actually good bikes if you get past all that stuff that irritates us so much. Then again, as you say, why buy a Spaz when you can go cheaper and possibly better with another brand.

BTW, if you look carefully, a chainstay pivot (FSR type suspension) is also a VPP ie its not a mono-pivot, so it probably works as well as any other. Many other brands use this design now that the patent has expired.

(Flippit, I sound like a Spaz apologist) 

Guest notmyname

I saw my first top to toe drols this morning. He was hammering it on a dirt road... I thought he was a sponsored rider until he got off to push up a short steep incline linking the dirt road and the single track. Hahaha!

ya, but they are actually good bikes if you get past all that stuff that irritates us so much. Then again, as you say, why buy a Spaz when you can go cheaper and possibly better with another brand.

BTW, if you look carefully, a chainstay pivot (FSR type suspension) is also a VPP ie its not a mono-pivot, so it probably works as well as any other. Many other brands use this design now that the patent has expired.

(Flippit, I sound like a Spaz apologist) 

a horst link doesn't have a rearward axle path as the main pivot is still, well the main pivot point. a VPP creates a virtual pivot point high above and forward of the BB where it would be impossible to put a pivot on most bikes as it would result in high levels of chain growth, giving you a rearward axle path at lower leverage rates, and in most cases of the longer travel version, an S shaped axle path. a horst link behaves more like a single pivot under braking, but because of the engineered in chain growth, prevents peddle bob, but they're nowhere near as active under breaking as VPP

a horst link doesn't have a rearward axle path as the main pivot is still, well the main pivot point. a VPP creates a virtual pivot point high above and forward of the BB where it would be impossible to put a pivot on most bikes as it would result in high levels of chain growth, giving you a rearward axle path at lower leverage rates, and in most cases of the longer travel version, an S shaped axle path. a horst link behaves more like a single pivot under braking, but because of the engineered in chain growth, prevents peddle bob, but they're nowhere near as active under breaking as VPP

All the diagrams  I have seen do show that a horst link design ie with a second pivot ahead of the rear axle(ie NOT on the seat stay)  have a virtual pivot point that is not the same as the main pivot. It may not be as Virtual ie removed from the main pivot as an Intense Tracer for instance,  but it is virtual nonetheless. All a VPP bike is, is a horst link with very short links - depending on how you look at it of course. My giants lower pivots mimic the main pivot and chain stay pivot  of the FSR bike, just much shorter. I am not disputing that the suspension effect is different however, just that the one is inherently better than the other. Aaron Gwin and his team mates  have no problems braking on their Demo 8's and winning races. 

I never realised that they had reached number 1 manufacturer status. I thought that spot was still held by Giant or Merida.

I never realised that they had reached number 1 manufacturer status. I thought that spot was still held by Giant or Merida.

Better yet ... Giant will be manufacturing Spaz bikes as from 2015 :P