Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

What would be a good package size, have always been using ADSL uncapped without an issue but have moved to an area with very bad ADSL coverage. I am using the wireless option now and was happy for the first 2 months but not my service provider has become very unreliable so am looking for a new provider. How much data does streaming use, last weekend my Speedtest dipped to 0,75!! The family probably watched about 2 hours a day and then a handful of smart phones too?

Any recommendations?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wireless as in 3G / LTE? One can jazz up the connection with external antennas if that is the problem

Also take a look as the Pay AS you Go Cell C Sim deals, I have one client using that and it still makes $ense over any contract

No not 3g. Basically you have a dish on your roof that connects to the service providers tower which is generally connected to fibre if I understand correctly. You plug in a Standard ADSL router to this. My problem is my current service providers line (or is that lineless) speed has become very inconsistent, especially over weekends where it also appears that there is no support! But then they are cheap so it brings about the a similar adage to the bike one cheap vs good.

Okay so its probably an 802.11 WiFi Point to Point connection of some sorts (probably some MicroTik kit?) - you could monitor the link quality from the router but other reason might be  possibly the 'service provider' has an over-subscribed and under-provisioned link to the net proper?

If its a link quality issue (dropped packets, poor S/N ratio, interference) that can be sorted out by someone who understands the technical and theoretical issues, with appropriate antenna use and config.

Another possible issue is that too many other subs are using the same channel on the WiFi and when that happens data speeds drop off dramatically, even though its a shared medium it does not handle too many connections at the same time on the same channel, a problem one finds with other WiFi setups. You get apps to visually see the channels being used, and if there is a lesser used one, then you can set the link to use that channel (there are 12 or so)

WiFi speeds become unusable when too many talk on one channel

If the link is oversubcribed upstream, you probably will be getting poor latency and fluctuating upload and download speeds, what is the ISP commitment to provisioning? 

Do you have a 3G/4G signal? A TP Link LTE router with WiFi is under R2k and if you have Cell C signal get a Giga Pack!

https://www.cellc.co.za/cellc/prepaid-contract-detail/GigaPackages

Was given an Amazon Firestick by visiting relative a few months ago and wasn't really sure what to do with it. So I plugged it into the telly, searched google and hey presto I'm watching stuff for free.

I am using Terrarium TV

https://troypoint.com/install-terrarium-tv-on-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/

You can also download UKTVnow for live sport. It has a all the UK sports channels and a bunch of live shows like Discovery.

Was given an Amazon Firestick by visiting relative a few months ago and wasn't really sure what to do with it. So I plugged it into the telly, searched google and hey presto I'm watching stuff for free.

I am using Terrarium TV

Google Sideloading...you can get Kodi on it and then you're sorted.

Back in SA I also had a VPN getflix running and was able to install BBC iPlayer tv4 itv channel 4 and 5 apps

I am using Terrarium TV

I've been using a Firestick for  couple of years. Using app2fire you can sideload anything from your phone/tab to the Firestick.

Mobdro

UKtvnow

LivenetTV

You can also 'cast' to the firestick from your phone, tab etc.

I found Kodi too slow on the Firestick, though there are some smaller builds available.

• 1 month later...

Anybody ever installed the Sky News addon on Kodi?? If so, please let me know if you used a VPN and if so, which one. If not, how did you do it.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We had that van at our dealership a couple of months back as we used the agency for a promotion we did.

Chatting to the owner of the van he had some interesting stories about people stopping him in traffic etc. to find out about getting Netflix installed.

We reduced our DSTV costs by a third.

FIL subscribed to the premium package. He has the satelite dish and all the gadgets.

BIL's family and my family have access to his online login and do the DSTV streaming thing, catch up TV and downloads and and and. And showmax is free. So we have full DSTV at a third of the price :)

• 5 weeks later...

We reduced our DSTV costs by a third.

FIL subscribed to the premium package. He has the satelite dish and all the gadgets.

BIL's family and my family have access to his online login and do the DSTV streaming thing, catch up TV and downloads and and and. And showmax is free. So we have full DSTV at a third of the price :)

Isn't using someone else's login slightly illegal?

Regardless.. You are still paying a third too much!