Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Dstv business model is gonzo just like SABC, the folks that work there are in denial about it because they are employed by the company.

For the longest time, I have believed that the only way they will survive is if they allow you to create your own bouquet of channels that you watch for a minimal monthly fee, like 10 bucks per channel per month.

If they dont do something like this, they are destined to fail, just a matter of time, knowing the arrogant management of multichoice/naspers, the fail will become real for them too late and they will be in the "too little too late" scenario.

The alternative for them is that they just keep bleeding clients until they have to close up shop.

In terms of streaming boxes (besides Apple TV) ... anyone using Roku?

Cheap android boxes are everywhere but there are limitations like YouTube /Netflix  in HD and 4K, Roku seems to be well supported.

In terms of streaming boxes (besides Apple TV) ... anyone using Roku?

Cheap android boxes are everywhere but there are limitations like YouTube /Netflix in HD and 4K, Roku seems to be well supported.

I have the Roku3... currently streaming Netflix and Hulu. Works well, very well.

I am currently using a cheap MXQPRO (it says 4k on the cover but we only have a HD TV so can't comment there) and have no issues streaming Netflix, RedbullTV, Youtube, Mobdro and TVTap.

Two years clean now!

using an android box or the smart TV. only paying Netflix and enjoying plenty other programs via web. On holiday at the moment with a small TV selection. Football is *** when on 3 different channels

Playstation 3 saw allot of airtime before my kids arrived, been sitting quietly, playing a DVD now and then.

Installed the Netflix, YouTube and RedBullTV apps and I am very happy with it as a media streaming console.Glad I got the Bluetooth remote control for it way back when, really useful now.

Uncapped Fibre is essential though, running through the gigs at a rate of knots.

Edited by Swift&Aero

Seriously considering ditching the Dstv. Really not Getting my money's worth.

Fibre is not an option. Will have to check out other internet packages as mine will be depleted in 2 days

Edited by Boerklong

Seriously considering ditching the Dstv. Really not Getting my money's worth.

Fibre is not an option. Will have to check out other internet packages as mine will be depleted in 2 days

Me too, no fibre where I am!!!

But, I have ADSL (Telkom, unfortunately) 4mbps (I can't get higher, I'm too far from the exchange), which means it runs most of the time between 2 and 3.5 mbps. I've been without DSTV for 5 years and have been running this since. 99% of the time I don't have a problem with Netflix and Youtube. I sometimes have buffering with Mobdro, LiveNetTv, TVZion etc. and can't watch much HD, if at all, unless I let a movie buffer for 10 minutes!!!

I can even watch 2 streams on Netflix, 2 TVs running, but endure some buffereing. Overall, depending on what you want watch, I don't have a problem and uncapped for R605 / month, I don't miss DSTV.

Just do it!!!!

EDIT:::: PS: I have open view HD, R399 for the receiver and use the old DSTV dish and LNB. Good for BBC and eNews etc. Sometimes some good stuff on Reality Channel, even eTV. I really, really don't miss DSTV.

Edited by HeyYou

I don't know if it is just me, but I have been noticing a (not very subtle) move away from my demographic... Unfortunately my MIL likes kyknet and tennis and she is on the xtraview.