Caravaning and Camping.

Mousea

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skipping easter and doing June instead as my boet is getting married between the road race and the jogging race thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hoping someone here can help. Looking for a rear window for a circa 2005 Gysey Romany caravan.

Can’t find anywhere .

Any ideas ?

Hoping someone here can help. Looking for a rear window for a circa 2005 Gysey Romany caravan.

Can’t find anywhere .

Any ideas ?

Maybe this could help?067bb28d2324d74408d30c1f59ab37c0.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not into Caravaning as such but do enjoy camping.

We have for the past 2 years spent 7/8 days or so over New year camping down at Sodwana with friends. This year a change of scenery, off to Lotheni in the Berg.

Canvas dome tent with extension, solar panels, 2nd battery in the van, camping fridge and braai grid. Sorted! 

Edited by Thug

Enjoy my caravan...sometimes do miss my tent, but thinking back of getting everything setup and then packing everything back time wise...then the caravan is so much easier...

Enjoy my caravan...sometimes do miss my tent, but thinking back of getting everything setup and then packing everything back time wise...then the caravan is so much easier...

Been talking to my wife as they use to camp almost every holiday and decided it might be fun to start doing it again specially with my little boy. Personally I have never been a big fan of camping, just something we never did as a family. 

I've got most of what I need for a fun weekend, tent, gazebo, gas braaiers and so on but I feel there is some things that might become a problem (Think I need a freezer). Would it be a good idea to start looking for a camping trailer or would it be better to use what I have and get the feeling for it. 

The way I see it is the trailer saves me al lot of space with all the stuff I need, can be easily set up and compact ,plus I can look for one that has it all, the big thing would be the camping freezer, . I drive fortuner so Im a bit limited with boot space.

Edited by Bomberman

Been talking to my wife as they use to camp almost every holiday and decided it might be fun to start doing it again specially with my little boy. Personally I have never been a big fan of camping, just something we never did as a family.

I've got most of what I need for a fun weekend, tent, gazebo, gas braaiers and so on but I feel there is some things that might become a problem (Think I need a freezer). Would it be a good idea to start looking for a camping trailer or would it be better to use what I have and get the feeling for it.

The way I see it is the trailer saves me al lot of space with all the stuff I need, can be easily set up and compact ,plus I can look for one that has it all, the big thing would be the camping freezer, . I drive fortuner so Im a bit limited with boot space.

I tow a simple camp trailer with my fortuner. Dual battery and solar with the fridge in the car. Trailer carries everything else and has a rooftop tent on top. Its super comfortable, loads of space, stays packed and ready to go. I can highly recommend.

Yes, there's an additional thing to maintain and licence, but its so simple and comfortable that we camp way more often than we even planned to. Its just too quick, cheap, and easy to get out of town for a few days, and enjoy the scenery and the bikes...

I tow a simple camp trailer with my fortuner. Dual battery and solar with the fridge in the car. Trailer carries everything else and has a rooftop tent on top. Its super comfortable, loads of space, stays packed and ready to go. I can highly recommend.

Yes, there's an additional thing to maintain and licence, but its so simple and comfortable that we camp way more often than we even planned to. Its just too quick, cheap, and easy to get out of town for a few days, and enjoy the scenery and the bikes...

Interesting.We went through the whole cycle.Started off with just the 4 x 4 in Botswana.Bought the trailer and schlepped it around Central  etc.Found it to be a hassle and went back to travelling light and loved the freedom.

In 2019 my Subie was full to the brim and then when we got back I sold it and bought the Navara. Even with a roof rack with the panels on, it was full to the brim. Mind you, I did have 2 x 30lt beer kegs and 8 bags of charcoal.

Sometimes I think I trailer would be a worthwhile investment but then look at the prices and realise it would only used once a year.

So we make do with what we have.

Interesting.We went through the whole cycle.Started off with just the 4 x 4 in Botswana.Bought the trailer and schlepped it around Central etc.Found it to be a hassle and went back to travelling light and loved the freedom.

Its been an interesting one, and i dont think that one solution fita everyone.

For us, i need my car to be a car during the week, as its a key part of the work i do. Adding a bunch of stuff with big roof racks and storage would null that.

Then, we live in a complex. So no garage to quickly take things off, hell, even going from flat to car park is a walk... So having the trailer packed and ready to go is amazing. We literally carry down clothing, food, and pillows. Everything else is packed.

We just this past weekend got roof racks for bike, as i dont want them on the trailer.

The trailer can be a haale but we decided early on that we wouldn't try to fill it to the brim, so packed its only 600kgs and is braked, so it tows like a dream...

I think there are so many 4x4 and overland okes who dislike trailers, and for good reason. But for us it works perfectly...

Oh yeah.... Last, and biggest reason - it keeps the mrs haopy cause she sleeps comfortable and off the ground, ans we hage the space for nice tables and comfy chairs... This alone means we go camping more often...

I learned quickly that a happy wife will mean more camping and exploration!

Oh yeah.... Last, and biggest reason - it keeps the mrs haopy cause she sleeps comfortable and off the ground, ans we hage the space for nice tables and comfy chairs... This alone means we go camping more often...

I learned quickly that a happy wife will mean more camping and exploration!

What do you guys reckon is a reasonable budget for a camping trailer?

I like the idea of having a trailer fitted with everything, ready to go.

Not planning to go overlanding, mostly sites with 220V

My thinking on requirements:

-Bed(2 Adults)

-Fridge/freezer? (Powered from Camping site Mains?)

-Gas stove

-One battery for night time lights

-Packing space for chairs, tables, kids tents

-Ideally it would have its own fold-out canopy