Puncture resistant ROAD tyres - 700x23

Veebee

Hello Everyone.

New to the forum, some great info on here... thanks.

I'm new to cycling, started about 4 months ago and have been enjoying all of it soo far. But the 1 major problem I'm having is punctures... had 4 in the past week, 2 alone at the Berg n Dale so looking for ways to make this go away a bit... I know its not always possible and the road condition etc makes all the difference.

I am currently riding on Maxxis Dolomites which have come on my Reacto 400, and have tyre liners in them and used the Kenda self sealing tubes but these haven't really helped my cause.

Have been reading up on tyres and have seen a lot of talk around the Schwalbe Durano Plus, so what I would like to know is where can I find these in SA or what are my other options regarding tyres and puncture protection ?

Would really appreciate help and advise on this, thanks in advance.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tire liners are a waste and actually give you more snakebite punctures. The good old Continental Gatorskins are bulletproof everyday tires. I'm on the GP4000's and they also just keep going.

Also a good hint is to keep the right pressure in your tires (min 100 psi).

Welcome to the Hub.

Your first problem is tire liners, they simply don't work well on a road bike.

Tire pressures are too high and where the liner overlaps it usually pinches the tube.

Personally I would remove them.

Next thing is go out and spend the R1200 or so Rand on Continental GatorSkins. All your problems will be solved.

If you not worried about every ounce of weight on your bike, GatorSkins are simply the best for puncture resistance.

I use them for training, but for racing I use Vittoria's, Personal preference of course. 

Tire liners are a waste and actually give you more snakebite punctures. The good old Continental Gatorskins are bulletproof everyday tires. I'm on the GP4000's and they also just keep going.

Also a good hint is to keep the right pressure in your tires (min 100 psi).

+1 for the gp4000s. I have put 5000km on a set with no punctures. I also run 25mm tyres, which make snake bites less likely.

Gatorskins are good value for money. 

If you want a tyre with good rolling resistance then I recommend an Endurance tyre. 

1st recommendation Specialized Armadillo (All Condition) but they aren't easy to come by. 

2nd recommendation Michelin Pro4 Endurance. 

Get a 25mm tyre as well. 

Gatorskins would be my choice and pump to max recommended by rim not tyre as you could damage rim. 

Just to throw in an option from Maxxis;

Maxxis Refuse, if you can get them are pretty good with puncture resistance and come in colors. :)

Thanks all for the replies. Will have the liners removed asap and give it a go from there, but I think I will still be in for new tyres as my rear has quite a few small cuts after just 1100km.

have been running on 8bar so don't think the pressure is a problem.

For now I'm not concerned about weight as I need to lose quite a bit of my own body weight first [currently at 103kg] so the few hundred grams on tyres isn't going to make a major difference to my life.

Vittoria Rubino Pro.... ill never use anything else! :thumbup:

I didnt waste my time on looking into all the tyres out there but i found that if the TPI is high like 120+ they have a excellent puncture resistance. These have 150TPI and i had 1 punchture in over 6 years!

http://www.vittoria.com/tire/rubino-pro/

+1 on the Rubino pro 3's. I am running mine tubeless. Haven't had a puncture for about 2 years.

Hey Vivek B

Welcome! The best move I ever made was switching to Gatorskins (wish I knew about them much earlier), they are not overly heavy so do not let that worry you. When you do decide to race seriously then it is something you can look at, the GP 4000s or something lighter.

Good Luck

P.S Gatorskins can be expensive but most places often have them on some sort of sale so look around.

Some of the guys have mentioned running 25c. I have just gone over to 25c and it makes a big difference. More puncture resistant and it definitely rides softer.

Archived