VA racing tips and tricks

Ryinc

Looking foward to Carnival City - anybody willing to give me a view on where they think the "moments of truth" will be on that course? (Obviously last 20km will be hell for leather) but where are the spots before this that I need to be awake?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly! I find max efforts from race are lower than solo efforts in training.

Patch...one thing that did catch my eye which does not make sense to me.

At Fast One my average power was 178w, yours was 220w, yet i only finished 4 minutes after the main bunch and if anything probably had to put out more watts riding solo then in the bunch in those last few km. I dont know hey, those last 4km were hard :) Surely the wattage difference cannot be explained by the time difference. Only possible explanations in my mind

- I am a lot lighter than you (I am 70kg) - unlikely to be such a big difference? Currently I am 80kg and a fat 80kg at that, I need to get down to 73-74 ASAP.

- I did a better job at wheelsucking i.e. using less watts for the same time? Mostly this, actaully EXACTLY this, I had to push hard a few times to not lose a wheel, or catch it up. I am also still skittish in a bigger bunch and tend to ride on the "outside" of the group.

- Your 220w was normalised power not average power? Was average not NP

- One of our powermeters is not accurate (I am using a Stages) - i would actually like to test its accuracy with an independent check sometime anyway I use a CycleOps G3, DC raimaker has done some comparisons and they are very similar.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Patchelicious

What Wez-O said - remember you're racing against teams.

Train with stronger riders and try and hang on.

Curb your enthusiasm when feeling strong and be patient. Conserve energy!

Looking foward to Carnival City - anybody willing to give me a view on where they think the "moments of truth" will be on that course? (Obviously last 20km will be hell for leather) but where are the spots before this that I need to be awake?

I wish I could tell you... A flat race like this is anyone's guess. Should a break be 2 or so minutes up the road with 40km to go, you know the hammer will be down big time for the home stretch.

I wish I could tell you... A flat race like this is anyone's guess. Should a break be 2 or so minutes up the road with 40km to go, you know the hammer will be down big time for the home stretch.

How do the guys know the splits? Do they have spotters along the road?

Im in the same boat, as the climbs come I get dropped but I don't have too much trouble staying within a group. So only if I could stay with the group over the climbs I would do so much better.

The race commissioner car drives between the break and the front of the main group and either shouts the time gaps or shows them on a board.

Whenever you're in the hurtbox.  That's when the critical attack will go...

This isn't meant to be sarcastic.  The attacks that work, work because they happen when everyone is already in the hurtbox.

Last year the break went away on 20km.

My guess is this won't happen again this year......too many strong teams and riders.

So roughly the same route as R4S will see the race start breaking up at 50km mark and then again at the 70km mark and then all hell will break loose once you hit those steps up towards Carnival City.

My guess is 15-20 guys in the final sprint to the line.

Let's see

Get your 20min power number up to about 4.5w/kg and you'll be able to stay until the finish, and maybe go with a break every now and again.

I would guess that the guys winning VA are pushing out somewhere around 5.0w/kg for 20 mins.

Oh and staying on when the heat goes on - train oxygen debt. You need to be able to go again soon after a big effort.... 1minute on.... 1 minute off.

Edited by rattlesnake

Last year the break went away on 20km.

My guess is this won't happen again this year......too many strong teams and riders.

So roughly the same route as R4S will see the race start breaking up at 50km mark and then again at the 70km mark and then all hell will break loose once you hit those steps up towards Carnival City.

My guess is 15-20 guys in the final sprint to the line.

Let's see

Dalk sal ek die gutters vir julle vroër begin. ;)

You should really learn how to know your race space. Know whats going on up front, int the bunch and at the back.

I have heard it a few times that when a com gives a time gap, someone asks if there are guys uo the road.

Learn to read body language. You will learn how to spot when someone is tensing up for an attack, when hes looking around him in uncertainty. Most of the time you would be able to read whats coming as the race progesses.

Thanks the article was interesting. Re FTP - i have managed to make steady gains and hope to improve further. Just to be clear, the numbers quoted in the original post are from the race files - so FTP and max 20 min efforts would be higher than these (hope that there is genetic room for improvement).

Cool, cool.

That's a cool article indeed.

Get your 20min power number up to about 4.5w/kg and you'll be able to stay until the finish, and maybe go with a break every now and again.

I would guess that the guys winning VA are pushing out somewhere around 5.0w/kg for 20 mins.

Oh and staying on when the heat goes on - train oxygen debt. You need to be able to go again soon after a big effort.... 1minute on.... 1 minute off.

To add to this, it's not just how much w/kg but when. If you can pull that rabbit out of the hat 2.5 hrs into a race...

Don't forget that the Vets race is 5Km longer this year compared to last year (Carnival City Macsteel). The extra loop has a few more drags than last year.

Depends on what the wind does, me thinks - the figure of 8 course guarantees some time in/cross/with the wind.

From a finish line point of view, I'm hoping the racing doesn't end in a bunch sprint - puts too much pressure on officials to finish in time for prize giving.