The SahmuraiSword: A new way to carry your tubeless repair kit

News bot

how long this this get's knocked off / copied .... local guys can make one called the "panga"

Funny enough (before these came out) I had turned up bar end plugs with 2 'O' ring grooves to hold plug in place. I simply bought the reamer and plug tool, turned down the handles and epoxied them into the plugs I had turned. The sticky rope plugs I store in a thin plastic tube which also slides into the handle bar together with the cable/zip tie. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got an earfull from the PPA marshal at this mornings race because I didn't have bar plugs in:

"The handlebar is going to turn into an apple corer and kill me. They are also going to ban people riding without plugs" ... I wonder if she has shares in the sahmurai sword?

You have not seen what happens yet.... I have some pictures - will try and find them and get permission to publish them - they are a bit old - but ugly. Let me also say a colostomy bag was involved for about 4 months...

AND - read the rules - bar end plugs are mandatory - PPA marshall should have DQ'd you and sent you home.

:blink: Not looking forward to the bar ends vs. limbs photoshoot.

On another note:

The SahmuraiSword is great and all, but I don't believe they work too well as durable bar-ends. Had a seriously light fallover and basically shattered my reamer side. 

Now it just has a bit of Frankenstein glue-given character.

The plastic spikey rim just gets crushed between your bar cylinder and the floor/tree/rock/person/squirrel.

My Sahmurai Sword reamer side fell out during the Magalies Monster :( 

Dont think the plastic is great. One of the very top SA riders told me on Saturday that it hurts his hands so he cant use them. 

Top SA rider would probably prove me wrong: But it's not supposed be near your hands? Unless you resting them on the side to give your hands a break. (says a SA bottom rider :clap: )

I do foresee a future of them being sold separately in the classifieds. 

The system also hurts my hands. I hold the bars over the edge of the grips and the hard plastic of the Sahmurai digs into my palms. I have left them in place though, they are useful to have.

Weird.. I haven't needed to use mine yet.. and I make sure before I ride that they are still firmly in place. . Also haven't felt any discomfort when I change hand position on the bike. . But i do ride with Grippp gloves.. so maybe it's because my gloves aren't as thin as some other gloves?

You guys should email them with your complaints so that they can maybe look at solutions. .. if they aren't aware of issues they can't look to sort it out.

Used mine for the first time during the Magalies Monster this weekend, plugged and bombed  a sidewall cut in less than 5 minutes. Very useful to have.

Edited by David Truter

Sorry for asking a silly question But I have this tool how do you feed the plug into the tool as hole is small for plug to fit and its sticky. Do you pull or push the plug through the top end and not the eyelet hole??

Flatten one end of the plug and squeeze it through until you can grip it with a pliers and then pull it through. I am using thicker plugs and had no problem getting them threaded.

• 1 year later...

Although a brilliant idea, I think they are poorly designed; one side should be RH thread and the other LH thread. I find that the one on my RHS continually loosens when riding.

I keep the reamer on the RHS, so if I accidentally loose it, i still have the plug.

You have not seen what happens yet.... I have some pictures - will try and find them and get permission to publish them - they are a bit old - but ugly. Let me also say a colostomy bag was involved for about 4 months...

AND - read the rules - bar end plugs are mandatory - PPA marshall should have DQ'd you and sent you home.

A couple of years ago , I went over the bars and the bar end ripped a blunt hole in the top of my thigh . Luckily missed the Femoral artery . Took 3 months to heal completely , this with a bar end in . I hate to think what it would have been like without bar ends ! Was using hard clamp on bar ends which may have exacerbated the situation . These days I use a softer bar end with a slightly more rounded profile .

I bought this a while back when on special as I thought it was super cool.

Somewhat dissatisfied when getting it as it felt flimsy and cheap but fitted to bars and off I went. A few rides later I clipped my bars on a tree, not hectic enough to fall but enough to good me off balance. When finished with my ride, I realize that the one side of the sumarai was completely gone and I made sure they were tight.

Then, later u noticed that the other side had broken off somewhere, somehow and was left with half of it in the bar which I managed to get out.

This thing is a great idea but weak and poorly made, waste of money from my experience.

I've bought 4 kits for 2 bikes. I only have 1 puncture repair tool left. The rest fell out. Flimsy thread and can't get decent fit to bars. I found it only fits well the first time or 2. Then they get loose

Somewhat dissatisfied when getting it as it felt flimsy and cheap but fitted to bars and off I went. A few rides later I clipped my bars on a tree, not hectic enough to fall but enough to good me off balance. When finished with my ride, I realize that the one side of the sumarai was completely gone and I made sure they were tight.

Then, later u noticed that the other side had broken off somewhere, somehow and was left with half of it in the bar which I managed to get out.

This thing is a great idea but weak and poorly made, waste of money from my experience.

So odd.. I have had mine since they launched it and it's still there and no issues with it breaking either.

don't forget those nasty dropper and remote lockout leavers that stick out/up like knifes!!

A buddy of mine ended up with one in his groin.

T

Edited by Tony datoy