2015 Momentum 947

ScottCM

Can't believe how many people complain about the route , the finish etc. a race is what it is. Sometimes it,s flat, sometimes hilly, sometimes technical. That,s what cycling is about. I love the tough finish, takes the sting out of the sprinters. And if you have some bike skills you can gap guys through Steyn city.

If it was all easy where would the challenge be ?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there's something to complain about it should be the no toilet paper in any of the toilets scattered around the start finish areas.

It was such an awesome ride my first ever. I did it in 2:05 I was super excited until I realised that I stopped the clock on my bike computer on 70km mark. Can someone tell me how, when where do I access the action photos of the race.

I was one of the photographers shooting the event. I've got a trigger finger blister and a nasty sunburn from not reapplying sunblock and just for kicks I took a handle bar to the face (fortunately it was on an uphill so the cyclist wasn't travelling with enough speed to knock me over but it has still left me with a tender face and some slight bruising visible). In the end I shot around 20 000 images and apart from the discomfort of the handle bar incident it went really well. You should be able to get the pics in a couple of days from

http://www.jetlineactionphoto.com/find_photos.php although remember that something like 200 000 images were shot and have to be identified by hand so they'll be identifying and uploading for a while. And before you suggest software that option has been investigated and action photo has never found a system that works better than a crew of human beings going through images.

Also remember I am not a spokesperson for action photo and I don't work fulltime for them so don't send me requests for pictures (I don't even download the pictures they go straight to the head office) or ask me questions about where your photo is or why its underexposed etc. That stuff is to be directed at the office.

Rode my first 947 (started at 10h00), being a rabid mtber and disdainful of all things roadie.

Well, time for some humble pie. 

WHAT AN AWESOME race, despite starting  late in the heat and wind and riding with all the back markers.

Got some new respect for the untrained and wobbly okes and gals out there - you folks ROCK.

I will DEFINITELY be back next year, properly trained and peaked and all that and (maybe) on a road bike (good grief, I hope none of my mtb mates read this...)

Thanks, quite sure I have exceeded the 15k points allocation.

I just captured mine now will see how many points load and I'll let you know. 

I was one of the photographers shooting the event. I've got a trigger finger blister and a nasty sunburn from not reapplying sunblock and just for kicks I took a handle bar to the face (fortunately it was on an uphill so the cyclist wasn't travelling with enough speed to knock me over but it has still left me with a tender face and some slight bruising visible). In the end I shot around 20 000 images and apart from the discomfort of the handle bar incident it went really well. You should be able to get the pics in a couple of days from

http://www.jetlineactionphoto.com/find_photos.php although remember that something like 200 000 images were shot and have to be identified by hand so they'll be identifying and uploading for a while. And before you suggest software that option has been investigated and action photo has never found a system that works better than a crew of human beings going through images.

Also remember I am not a spokesperson for action photo and I don't work fulltime for them so don't send me requests for pictures (I don't even download the pictures they go straight to the head office) or ask me questions about where your photo is or why its underexposed etc. That stuff is to be directed at the office.

Thanks for throwing in a bit of info from your side.

I can only imagine how insane the sorting must be, not to mention the heat and sun etc. 

Thanks for the hard work on the day!!  :clap:

Thanks for being out there and doing that. I dont think you guys get enough credit. i'm sure its a long day fro you looking through the camera but the cyclists really appreciate the action shots. :thumbup:

Rode my first 947 (started at 10h00), being a rabid mtber and disdainful of all things roadie.

WHAT AN AWESOME race, despite starting  late in the heat and wind and riding with all the back markers.

Got some new respect for the untrained and wobbly okes and gals out there - you folks ROCK.

I will DEFINITELY be back next year, properly trained and peaked and all that and (maybe) on a road bike (good grief, I hope none of my mtb mates read this...)

I could have warned you...it IS a different bug this! 

All my MTB friends are telling me lately that I have become boring, but I have seen them come over to 'this side' one by one...hahaha

Also did my first road event... was never keen to but I don't get told I wouldn't be able to or that I will battle as a MTB'er... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Honestly - LOVED it... Rode for The CHOC Cows and was MOOOing and irritating everyone with my cow bell...

Some worried faces as they thought it was an ice cream bike passing them - hahahahah.

had loads of fun and hitting 80+km/h was awesome.

I had a goal of around 3hr30 and 3h36 is close enough I recon.

Think I will be hanging onto the road bike for a while... more fun than I thought!

Thanks for throwing in a bit of info from your side.

I can only imagine how insane the sorting must be, not to mention the heat and sun etc. 

Thanks for the hard work on the day!!  :clap:

Was good meeting you before the race. I'm glad you didn't catch me this year :thumbup:

Well done Nonky, glad you enjoyed! :thumbup:  That's exactly how I felt when I did my first one in 2011 on a SS MTB. this year I also roped in a fellow , very sceptical, MTB'er.

we managed to get him a road bike for the day, helped lots.

Also started later, 9am with the auSOMEtism group...The wind was mad!!! :thumbdown:

But had a great day out none the less, I think I went through 6 or 7 bottles over and above sachets at the water tables.

No major issues, but I'm not a fan of the venue, was a mission to get around in the beginning and the thorns were insane... but .. I can't even imagine what must go into organizing a day like yesterday, so I've got no room to speak.

I missed last year and the route change, I don't think it's that bad, but the last 12kms or so from the uphill heading towards the Lion Park road till the end almost depleted my sense of humor, but I managed to retain some .. helped with my mate who was taking some strain at the end.

Even though I've only ridden the event in charity groups, something really hit home yesterday and that was the effort so many people go to on the day! It's a tough day out as it is, but then you've got guys like the ones riding for muscular dystrophy towing another person and  the choc guys etc.. and Shaun that I rode with on his double bike contraption... THESE people are the real heroes on the day and I just want to send a massive congrats and well done to them!!

Shaun on his double decker...

post-6012-0-69496200-1447662234_thumb.jpg

Super excited with my 2h48, My target was 2h50- but I thought 2h55 were more realistic. Took some revenge for my 3h30 last year.

Lost the leading group of C at that simple drag at the old start and felt quite exhausted. I then thought a sub 3 would be nice.

We formed a nice group on the M1 and made up some really good time. Felt strong on Joe Slovo and even Cedar and Steyn City wasn't that bad. But that last uphill towards the end really killed me.

As always a very well organised race.

A few suggestions:1) More toilets- I was there early and standing 35 mins in the queue. I can just imagine how long the queue's must have been towards the end.

2) I'm willing to pay R20 extra next year if you can just plant some grass at the venue. And is it really necessary for the food and beer to be that expensive?

Super excited with my 2h48, My target was 2h50- but I thought 2h55 were more realistic. Took some revenge for my 3h30 last year.

Lost the leading group of C at that simple drag at the old start and felt quite exhausted. I then thought a sub 3 would be nice.

We formed a nice group on the M1 and made up some really good time. Felt strong on Joe Slovo and even Cedar and Steyn City wasn't that bad. But that last uphill towards the end really killed me.

As always a very well organised race.

A few suggestions:1) More toilets- I was there early and standing 35 mins in the queue. I can just imagine how long the queue's must have been towards the end.

2) I'm willing to pay R20 extra next year if you can just plant some grass at the venue. And is it really necessary for the food and beer to be that expensive?

I didn't object to the price of beer, just wished the beer tent was closer to the bike park. I needed 2 beers by the time I wobbled my way there!

Not saying that I liked the dust and gravel, but remember that we are in a heat stroke at the moment, with it not having rained properly in ages! I mean, there's water restrictions out, so I think there's a reason for no nice green grass and a lot of dust.

people should also stop complaining about the route, it is what it is. There is enough data available for you to do research about the route beforehand. Its not like they threw in an extra hill or speedhump to surprise you.

Who remembers this?

"Mister give me Choc-colate and water bottle!"

Made me think I was back a MTB  stage race going through the rural areas of the country.

Archived