Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

Just hang around the Constantia Shopping Centre parking lot for a bit and you will see how much entitlement mentality there is in that area - frightening.

And some of them may be the same people who own the farms which won't allow Chris to route his MTB track through them. perhaps? 

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

last weekend I was at CV for a coffee at vida with a pal who was in town.

After coffee I walked over my car and spotted the reverse lights of the RR parked next to me had been on for a while. I wondered what was going and noticed the driver seemed confused so I stood behind the car and did my "Kom Planes" Batman carguard routine.

Oh she was so grateful she slipped a R50 and told me to keep the change. I thanked her and hopped into my 2015 Golf.

Such a kind lady, paid for my coffee :rolleyes:

I slipped the R50 into the hands of the car guard who had been trying to get her attention while she struggled to vacate the two bays she was occupying...

Felt right chuffed being such a good samaritan :wub:

priceless....

last weekend I was at CV for a coffee at vida with a pal who was in town.

After coffee I walked over my car and spotted the reverse lights of the RR parked next to me had been on for a while. I wondered what was going and noticed the driver seemed confused so I stood behind the car and did my "Kom Planes" Batman carguard routine.

Oh she was so grateful she slipped a R50 and told me to keep the change. I thanked her and hopped into my 2015 Golf.

Such a kind lady, paid for my coffee :rolleyes:

I slipped the R50 into the hands of the car guard who had been trying to get her attention while she struggled to vacate the two bays she was occupying...

Felt right chuffed being such a good samaritan :wub:

Exploiting the weak and helpless I call it :-)

As part of the proposed early access, we as a mountain bike group need to indemnify SANParks against injury. This has been submitted through Amarider and we now await response from SANParks' legal team. The SANParks risk assessors have read through the document and are happy with the contents in principle.

Are other mountain user groups also currently jumping through the same hoops or will they piggyback on Amarider's indemnity or not be allowed access? Or is it just mountain bikers that require indemnity?

Are other mountain user groups also currently jumping through the same hoops or will they piggyback on Amarider's indemnity or not be allowed access? Or is it just mountain bikers that require indemnity?

Q. Are other mountain user groups also currently jumping through the same hoops?

A. no, it is only the mountain bikers currently applying for access.

Q. Will they piggyback on Amarider's indemnity?

A. No, Amarider will cover only mountain biking based on the terms of access.

Q. Or not be allowed access?

A. Other users can apply for access and use the same template we created (if successful obviously)

Q. Or is it just mountain bikers that require indemnity?

A. No. This was a mountain bikers initiative used to gain early access. The demand for early entry is there so indemnity was offered as a workaround, not requested by Parks.

Thanks for answering my many questions, Deon.

From what you've said (should an early access arrangement be made) other mountain users will likely remain excluded from accessing Tokai? Assuming they aren't currently undergoing the same process.

I don't want to be in that meeting  :ph34r:

FWIW the horsies wouldn't be able to arrange a saddle in a tack store.

The runners are being led by Noel, and he is not in parks' good books at all with his recent (and past) histrionics

FWIW the horsies wouldn't be able to arrange a saddle in a tack store.

The runners are being led by Noel, and he is not in parks' good books at all with his recent (and past) histrionics

Not really, Ive taken the horse riders through every step, they know what to do and by the sounds of it starting to arrange something too.

Not really, Ive taken the horse riders through every step, they know what to do and by the sounds of it starting to arrange something too.

Good news for them then. Seems as if they've realised that they need to work together

But the horse riders are the ones who have vetoed a proposed route up to level 5 because it crosses "their" historical riding area. Perhaps they have a different definition of working together to us?

But the horse riders are the ones who have vetoed a proposed route up to level 5 because it crosses "their" historical riding area. Perhaps they have a different definition of working together to us?

It all depends on how one approaches disappointment. Questioning a relationship after one "no" would indicate that no relationship exists. We went back with a different route option that garnered a better response..

It's called trying. 

It all depends on how one approaches disappointment. Questioning a relationship after one "no" would indicate that no relationship exists. We went back with a different route option that garnered a better response..

It's called trying. 

or compromising perhaps?

It's called trying. 

Well thats good news I was not aware of. Well done, you have extreme patience. 

The "better response" will of course be meaningless if they don't actually agree to it.

How long will it take for an answer from the horse riders?

I rode out in Stellies on Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Such a great vibe there. Trails sharing everywhere  - dogs, horses, runners and riders. There is a horse training paddock next to the XC circuit. The dog owners are apologetic if a dog chases a bike as one did to me at one point.

Cycling on the green belt next to the Eerste river with dogs and walkers is promoted. I think you would struggle to find one place where you can't ride a bike there. 

We rode on Miachael Jordaans farm where his wife has built beautiful single track removing aliens and planting indigenous in the process. No permits fees to ride on Botmanskop or the aforementioned single track above Hells Hoogte.

No paranoia about rogue riding that I heard of from the locals I rode with - the Jordaans are quite happy to have people riding on their farm. Was a trail run using the same trails yesterday too. Makes you realize how things can work when the community works together and there is simple acceptance. And don't tell me mountain bikers are all sweet and nice in Stellies. 

Puts the continual **** in the southern burbs into perspective. If I could afford to live in Stellenbosch I would move. Its fast becoming the cycling Gautengers place to emigrate to :-)

Puts the continual **** in the southern burbs into perspective. If I could afford to live in Stellenbosch I would move. Its fast becoming the cycling Gautengers place to emigrate to :-)

You an me both.

Rode Steilte on the weekend. The farmer who owns the land that the trails are on has graded the road so that it's easier to get to the trails by vehicle. The trails there are INCREDIBLE!!

The term is Semigrating. Leaving Gatteng for the WC.