Epic MTB riding skills - not a lot going round it seems :-)

Headshot

If 'some' have 6 Epic medals they are are getting it right more often than not.

Sorry, I forget ... if you have not done the Epic you are not a true mountain biker.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I forget ... if you have not done the Epic you are not a true mountain biker.

My point is that you do not have to be a "true mountainbiker" (whatever that means?) to be successful. You merely need to understand your limitations and decide on how you address them. Some limitations can be more easily circumvented, like technical proficiency opposed to climbing ability. 

Now stop trolling ;) 

tuck and roll is for light weight rabbits us buffalo go through rocks

I'm a big daddy buffalo and I have been known to do a closed pike, triple-zit spin re-entry on many a involuntary dismount.

Edit: but I'm a crap climber.

Sorry, have to disagree.  I think fitness is the difficult part to improve past a certain point - it takes hours of riding, which most people don't have. I know I certainly don't have hours every week. I ride 2 to 3 hours on a weekend and maybe a midweek ride every second week if I'm lucky. That is going to get me to mid table level (maybe) on the climbs and no further, but those rides are more than enough time to improve my technical skills massively. On the downhill stuff I have got some top 10 to 20 Strava ( :ph34r: ) times on the Tygerberg trails and I am an old toppie. You just have to be willing to make the attempt to go faster.

Point is, if you already technically so good that you are Top 10 Strava on the downhill stuff (respect by the way) then it should be obvious that the marginal improvements you would get by spending your time on fitness would be far more than doing some more downhill training?

But I guess since this is our hobby and not our dayjob we tend to spend our limited time on the things we like & are good at as opposed to the schlep stuff that will actually improve our results,

I think the okes who are frustrated by the lack of skills at the back of the field forget that they have the solution in their own hands as opposed to be preaching that everybody around them should improve.

Point is, if you already technically so good that you are Top 10 Strava on the downhill stuff (respect by the way) then it should be obvious that the marginal improvements you would get by spending your time on fitness would be far more than doing some more downhill training?

But I guess since this is our hobby and not our dayjob we tend to spend our limited time on the things we like & are good at as opposed to the schlep stuff that will actually improve our results,

I think the okes who are frustrated by the lack of skills at the back of the field forget that they have the solution in their own hands as opposed to be preaching that everybody around them should improve.

Now why vark up a good argument with logic? Shame on you! 

What?  A limitless credit card?

What?  A limitless credit card?

IM THINKING, GET FASTER TO GET TO THE FRONT SO THE SLOW BACK MARKERS ARE NOT A FACTOR  :whistling:  :whistling:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Thor No its the other way around You crash because you are crap on the dh bits Get some skills coaching and reign in the red mist:-)

Actually I have had the skills training. Now I am just scared of crashing... The red mist is just a fog of fear in my case. Sigh

Two options:

1) Hard long hours in the saddle

or

2) Push your bike up a hill and do a couple of DH runs on your "rig" and call yourself a technical rider 

Its clear to see that number 2 is very popular in this thread, soooo many technical masters

That part in bold is pretty much the best post I have read in in a long time.  You will always get unfit skilled riders who enter an event and complain afterwards about the skill level of the riders around them.  Get of your arse and train, and you will quickly realise that towards the front of the field there are riders who are fitter and more skilled than you.

And unlike many here have preached, a dropper post is not the solution.  The solution is to start out in MTB by doing XCO and then progressing to XCM.  Once you have developed skills and power, the endurance will come, not the other way round. 

PS: If a rider needs a dropper post for XCO type obstacles he is perhaps not as skiled as he thinks he is.

I am getting much better at the "tuck and roll"

But you know what.. at a stage I was okay with the technical stuff... then I got a bit windgat and I started doing stupid stuff and falling .. A LOT, now I am really over cautious, It's not cool spending time in the ER or having to sit out and recover for weeks.. uhu.

It will take some time before I am confident again, but for now.. I will rather not risk injury.

Gen, it sounds like you have the ahem..balls to ride technical stuff. I agree any time off the bike is ***, have you thought about getting some protection-even lightweight stuff?

That part in bold is pretty much the best post I have read in in a long time.  You will always get unfit skilled riders who enter an event and complain afterwards about the skill level of the riders around them.  Get of your arse and train, and you will quickly realise that towards the front of the field there are riders who are fitter and more skilled than you.

And unlike many here have preached, a dropper post is not the solution.  The solution is to start out in MTB by doing XCO and then progressing to XCM.  Once you have developed skills and power, the endurance will come, not the other way round. 

PS: If a rider needs a dropper post of XCO type obstacles he is perhaps not as skiled as he thinks he is.

+ 10000

So I should take the Dropper post of my Road bike?  :whistling:

, have you thought about getting some protection-even lightweight stuff?

yes.. hubby wants to get me a full faced helmet and bubble wrap. :ph34r:

No sadly I have lost a lot of confidence.. but it's coming back slowly.. Peach skills clinic helped a lot.. and I have been practicing what he said I must.. I am still just scared of drop offs and jumps cause I gave myself concussion in Dec with a stupid jump that I didn't land.  I just want to keep both tires on the ground for now  :whistling:

No I really want to get protection, just here in the platteland no one seems to fall, cause no one sells it.. And would have to get the right fit, so a bit bang to order online, for in case I get the wrong size.

I am however heading to CT tomorrow.. so will go find a LBS and get some padding  :w00t:

yes.. hubby wants to get me a full faced helmet and bubble wrap. :ph34r:

No sadly I have lost a lot of confidence.. but it's coming back slowly.. Peach skills clinic helped a lot.. and I have been practicing what he said I must.. I am still just scared of drop offs and jumps cause I gave myself concussion in Dec with a stupid jump that I didn't land.  I just want to keep both tires on the ground for now  :whistling:

No I really want to get protection, just here in the platteland no one seems to fall, cause no one sells it.. And would have to get the right fit, so a bit bang to order online, for in case I get the wrong size.

I am however heading to CT tomorrow.. so will go find a LBS and get some padding  :w00t:

It's amazing how quickly it evaporates and how slowly it returns.

Plenty of places in CT have protective gear - if you are struggling give me or one of the other CT guys a shout and we can help you find the right stuff.

Archived