New Shimano 105 hydraulic road disc brakes

News bot

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with our climate? As soon as it rains and you get grit on your carbon rims and you pull the breaks it chows some nice grooves in the breaking surface.

Actually the bike goes faster when you pull the brakes on your carbon rims in the rain.

Still not convinced this is a good idea for road bikes, especially with our climate. I'll stick with rim brakes thanks.

Why, your comment makes no sense? Especially the climate bit? Better wheels, better stopping power, prob lighter, so many benefits

I will only be interested when it is available with a AFFS (Anti Front Flip System).

When there is an accident the normal reaction is to grab a handful of brakes or press a hole in the car with the brake pedal.

Just my 5c worth

What's wrong with our climate? As soon as it rains and you get grit on your carbon rims and you pull the breaks it chows some nice grooves in the breaking surface.

The grit is what makes them breaks... [emoji6]

Why, your comment makes no sense? Especially the climate bit? Better wheels, better stopping power, prob lighter, so many benefits

In Joburg, A large percentage of my riding is in the dry, compared to what it would be if I say lived in the UK.

Also, I don't have all carbon wheels, so I don't have that issue when I do get caught in the rain.

Serious question: is the mass you save by using a all carbon rim vs a carbon/aluminum, or an all aluminum rim more than the additional mass of a disk brake vs rim brake? (Yes I know that the rim mass is rotating, but that only makes a difference to the difference in required energy when accelerating)

Believe me : modulation is more than a sales phrase. Slightly wider rubber (25 or 28) and disc brakes - new world for the Buffalo class.

I want these brake levers - but will have to do 11 speed to do it all. That means new wheels and carbon rims.....

I was planning it all last night before bed.

FWIW- modulation on discs is really great. I have the TRP cable actuated on my tandem and my CX bike and they are just is a different league.

Exactly what the other guys said - bigger tires on wider rims will mean more traction and better braking. On any given descent you will not be able to stay with a disc braked bike with this combo. And then there's the reduction in spin mass on the rims cause you don't need the thick braking surfaces.

Read up about HED Ardennes+ disc wheels. Then contact Eldron. I have tested them a lot in the last two weeks. Tubeless.

• 2 months later...

You know, the accidents I have seen in peletons for the most part have been caused by panic braking on traditional braking systems. As road cyclists we do not practice emergency braking so when something happens, panic sets in and the rider takes all his years of experience, freezes at the controls and grabs a handful of brakes....resulting in more carnage than could otherwise have been experienced.....

Without a doubt, disks will offer superior stopping force , however this may not actually be a good thing on a bicycle...unless an ABS system is deployed as well...

just my 2 cents , I actually do not want the superior braking ability of disks on my road bike...

You know, the accidents I have seen in peletons for the most part have been caused by panic braking on traditional braking systems. As road cyclists we do not practice emergency braking so when something happens, panic sets in and the rider takes all his years of experience, freezes at the controls and grabs a handful of brakes....resulting in more carnage than could otherwise have been experienced.....

Without a doubt, disks will offer superior stopping force , however this may not actually be a good thing on a bicycle...unless an ABS system is deployed as well...

just my 2 cents , I actually do not want the superior braking ability of disks on my road bike...

So you are saying I should charge the gopro before the next race :devil:

All this skeptisim is counter intuitive to me.

If you wanted to build a racing car, stopping quick would be just as import as going fast.

If you scared of otb, go on some mtb skills clinics to get your weight back during braking!

Edited by NukeproofPeanut

If you wanted to build a racing car, stopping quick would be just as import as going fast.

If you scared of otb, go on some mtb skills clinics to get your weight back during braking!

That's all we need... a whole pelton with their panties hooking on the back of their seat because they moved their weight back

The concept of better braking makes you faster works in racing especially when you have lots of accelerate / slow down  / turn / accelerate situations, I'm not convinced the average road bike rider racer needs this.

Yes there are some good points for it, especially wrt carbon rims and having better finger tip control because you not braking on the carbon rim surface. Meh I'm quite happi with my rim brakes for road use, and yes I ride plenty of long steep downhills with them in the wet and dry...imo less is more

You know racing cars have excellent weight distrubtion and ABS and all sorts of complicated wizardry that prevents the car and driver from tipping over the front axle....even safety belts that keep the driver safely ensconsed in the cockpit......right?

You know racing cars have excellent weight distrubtion and ABS and all sorts of complicated wizardry that prevents the car and driver from tipping over the front axle....even safety belts that keep the driver safely ensconsed in the cockpit......right?

Exactly and yet they still fit excellent brakes?

You have no complicated wizardy, saftely belt, or enclosed cockpit yet still want to run on brakes designed yonks ago? Whats speeds do you get clock on some of the downhill sections?

You are riding a bike, heaven forbid you actually ride it and move your weight around to aid acceleration, braking and cornering :eek:

Exactly and yet they still fit excellent brakes?

You have no complicated wizardy, saftely belt, or enclosed cockpit yet still want to run on brakes designed yonks ago? Whats speeds do you get clock on some of the downhill sections?

You are riding a bike, heaven forbid you actually ride it and move your weight around to aid acceleration, braking and cornering :eek:

yip.... I have seen the guys redistribute their weight effectively and have a cup of tea just before pulling the anchors so hard they still go rolling over the handlebars...

the accidents happen in the blink of an eye..no one is redistributing weight ..maybe losing a bit but it gets retained in their bibs anyway