Benefits of an 'out front' Garmin mount?

NotSoBigBen

I was given one of these some time ago but never got round to fitting it ..... I tried it on a recent MTB build and it looked seriously doff to me .....

I am assured by an 'expert' (self proclaimed perhaps ;) ) on cycling fashion that 'purists say as small as out the way as possible' and I was thinking where it is possible it does look neatest on the stem to my mind.

So unless you have a direct mount, very short or strange shaped stem does it make sense to use one. In this case I would have thought you are involved with one of those 'hashtag' disciplines where it is #notarace and would not be seen dead with a bike computer on  :ph34r:

On a road bike? I saw that loads of the 'pro' cyclist use them but again I see no tangible benefit ..... is it because you can angle it better to see perhaps ....

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find on te road bike you don't have to look down as far to see data. So you're far less likely to have a wobble. It also seems more neat in my opinion. The stem is clean and long and looks great. Also has good access to buttons and seems to feel more stable than the elastic band mounts.

I really enjoy mine

I find on te road bike you don't have to look down as far to see data. So you're far less likely to have a wobble. It also seems more neat in my opinion. The stem is clean and long and looks great. Also has good access to buttons and seems to feel more stable than the elastic band mounts.

I really enjoy mine

No doubt that it is a more stable mount that's for sure! I find with the lastic bands I quite often also seem to be moving it to be properly straight with the stem and level  :thumbup:

I'm very happy with the one on my road bike - puts my Garmin in a much more comfortable angle when I look down, esp. when in the drops.

But I wouldn't have it on my mtb - still have the standard setup on my stem. No need to tempt Murphy with a delicate little attachment sticking out.

I was given one of these some time ago but never got round to fitting it ..... I tried it on a recent MTB build and it looked seriously doff to me .....

I am assured by an 'expert' (self proclaimed perhaps ;) ) on cycling fashion that 'purists say as small as out the way as possible' and I was thinking where it is possible it does look neatest on the stem to my mind.

So unless you have a direct mount, very short or strange shaped stem does it make sense to use one. In this case I would have thought you are involved with one of those 'hashtag' disciplines where it is #notarace and would not be seen dead with a bike computer on  :ph34r:

On a road bike? I saw that loads of the 'pro' cyclist use them but again I see no tangible benefit ..... is it because you can angle it better to see perhaps ....

There is the answer I guess. Doesn't matter if it works or not, PRO's use them and then so will the majority of us. We where all happy with 26ers till the pro's started using 29ers.

I'm very happy with the one on my road bike - puts my Garmin in a much more comfortable angle when I look down, esp. when in the drops.

But I wouldn't have it on my mtb - still have the standard setup on my stem. No need to tempt Murphy with a delicate little attachment sticking out.

Have you seen the MTB bar fly? It actually comes backwards and sits in the exact same spot. Weird.

EDIT: google mtb barfly

The biggest downside for me is that if you use attachments on the bar for lights, etc, the out front gets in te way big time. I have to mount my little road light upside down so it has a clear beam.

Forgot about that in the first post.

The biggest benefit I find is that my sweat no longer drips on my Garmin and the screen stays cleaner for longer.

Only use one on my roadbike, it puts the garmin in a better location and easier to quickly look at when racing.

On my MTB I use the standard straps and mount as do not need to look at it that often.

Have you seen the MTB bar fly? It actually comes backwards and sits in the exact same spot. Weird.

EDIT: google mtb barfly

It works nicely when you have a -17degree stem or your stem is too short to mount your Garmin.

post-615-0-86827800-1429188831_thumb.jpg

Check out how the SRM Powercontrol fits onto the bars and you'll see where it comes from. Makes one look more pro and therefore faster.

The biggest downside for me is that if you use attachments on the bar for lights, etc, the out front gets in te way big time. I have to mount my little road light upside down so it has a clear beam.

Forgot about that in the first post.

Thank you! This mount the light upside down thing is genius.

I really smaak my out front mounts. Have one on SS, MTB & Road. Reckon it is a better location, for viewing.

My first one got used on Dusi2C where we were orienteering, as there was no coarse marking, and I found that I looked at it more frequently than my partner, who had the usual elastic mount. He got us lost quite a bit...

I also get a good view of my stem and handlebar, which are works of art in their own right.

Isn't the Barfly just the normal mount in reverse?  :whistling:

I doubt the one I have is one of those as you can't mount it i n such a way that it is still over the stem (liked that option as it is more secure). It has a moulded piece that gets in the way.

Thanks for the comments and insights, I will for sure mount it on my road bike then!

Archived