When should you help out a fellow rider?

NixM

I try help where I can and always offer....thank goodness at this stage most people have said "no, all is ok" because I actually battle to help myself most of the time :blush:

Reminds me of a ride, where we had about 6 punctures between 3 of us in the Cradle.

As we cycled past an aunty, and I applied Routjies Logic Rules, I offered her help, she accepted. Only for us to realise we had used all our bombs and tubes already in any case.... felt very swak, all we could do was help her flag down other riders.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of a ride, where we had about 6 punctures between 3 of us in the Cradle.

As we cycled past an aunty, and I applied Routjies Logic Rules, I offered her help, she accepted. Only for us to realise we had used all our bombs and tubes already in any case.... felt very swak, all we could do was help her flag down other riders.

At least you stayed with her and made sure she was not left alone and did not become another rape statistic. :thumbup:

I would give Blondie both wheels if I have to  :blush:

AAAHHHHHHHHH, TO BAD YOU WILL NEVER CATCH HER EVEN IF SHE BROKE DOWN,,,,you would be in the sweeper van they dont ride the track when they sweep you up

Last race I yelled to a guy who was on the side, the response was something like, "Have you got a tjoob?", unfortunately i was already 10m down the track and don't carry spare tjoobs for short races (Ok, it was also close to home), i did feel bad for him, BUT what really PISSED me off was i rode part of the same track 2 days later with my daughter only to find the guys damaged tube lying next to the track

My brother and I once stopped to help a lady in distress at the start of a 24hr race, turned out my godmother is her aunt and we had lost touch with over the years as we grew up, worked out great to be able to catch up again.

We should start a thread "Share your stories of helping fellow riders"

why treat them MA riders differently? What if all his spares is used up & still failed him? For e.g. Rider MA used all his bombs & plugs but eventually had to put in a tube only to puncture 5kms later? Or he offered his multi tool to another rider in need but now he needs one himself since said rider never caught up to him yet?

So MA riders are people too?  :ph34r:

If a racing snake used all his bombs & plugs that's the risk he took when he played weight weenie and used paper thin tires. So no sympathy from me, you know the odds when you pick your tires. 

The people that are ahead of me in a race are usually quite capable of fixing a puncture or broken chain without my clumsy help, and anything more complicated is beyond my non-existing mechanical capabilities anyway - so I never stop to help in a race.

So MA riders are people too? :ph34r:

If a racing snake used all his bombs & plugs that's the risk he took when he played weight weenie and used paper thin tires. So no sympathy from me, you know the odds when you pick your tires.

The people that are ahead of me in a race are usually quite capable of fixing a puncture or broken chain without my clumsy help, and anything more complicated is beyond my non-existing mechanical capabilities anyway - so I never stop to help in a race.

:P

Which tires fall in this paper weight category?

Good sportsmanship doesnt refund me....if it cost my time only, then I might consider it, but alas, most mech's will cost an avg of 70-80 bokke, some more some less.

And I never met someone willing to replace what I helped them with before(even a famous springbok amongst them) so sorry pel, klap n toon. I might be a "bad sportsman" in your books but I will have zak in my pocket at the end of the race, and the person will never ride without a tjoob / stans / bombs / tyre levers / plugs / valve core / gator patch / chain link / multitool again, a 10km klap a toon gives you plenty of time to think about this.

Some people are motivated by money and the need to have it, others have realised that money does not, will not and never will take the place of a person that gives a damn about his or her fellow being. Heck even all the work I have done for fellow Hubbers has been zero charge, I prefer to see the look on the faces and the shake of a hand that says thank you for the trouble.

Some people are motivated by money and the need to have it, others have realised that money does not, will not and never will take the place of a person that gives a damn about his or her fellow being. Heck even all the work I have done for fellow Hubbers has been zero charge, I prefer to see the look on the faces and the shake of a hand that says thank you for the trouble.

Wow, just wow. You are a better person than me...being so blase about geld and the need to help others that most of the time won't give you the time of day nevermind make sure they refund / replace what you used to get them rolling again. Well done, me, I am over it.

Since money has no meaning to you and all that, I am sure you won't mind if we setup a debit order to my account each month from you...I ride the spruit almost every sunday and encounter numerous people with punctures and mechs, our outride on saturday also yields a person on the side of the road...nevermind races where its all over. It will work out in the region of about 500-700 rand, but it won't matter since its a good deed being done. My commitment is to stop everytime someone has an issue, donating my time you know...you just need to sponser it.

I will go sofar as to take pictures of the help I offered for you to see the "look on their faces" since that is what it is about for you...that is if they don't jump on the bike and start riding straight after I fix their issue.

Time to put your money where your mouth is...otherwise, you and that karma aunty can stable your high horses...

I have seen you help out a bunch of hubbers over time, Im really glad that in this day an age there are still people like you around.

I think the point that the OP was making was that she didn't get that handshake that says thank you for the trouble. 

What I experience on that Breedtsnek ride a while ago was that it was kind of expected. Do you have a tube? Ok, give it to me. 

And then, taking this a bit further - how is this different from kids along the Sani2C route asking for chocolate?

I think the point that the OP was making was that she didn't get that handshake that says thank you for the trouble. 

What I experience on that Breedtsnek ride a while ago was that it was kind of expected. Do you have a tube? Ok, give it to me. 

And then, taking this a bit further - how is this different from kids along the Sani2C route asking for chocolate?

I always give them handfuls of caffeine goos.

Wow, just wow. You are a better person than me...being so blase about geld and the need to help others that most of the time won't give you the time of day nevermind make sure they refund / replace what you used to get them rolling again. Well done, me, I am over it.

Since money has no meaning to you and all that, I am sure you won't mind if we setup a debit order to my account each month from you...I ride the spruit almost every sunday and encounter numerous people with punctures and mechs, our outride on saturday also yields a person on the side of the road...nevermind races where its all over. It will work out in the region of about 500-700 rand, but it won't matter since its a good deed being done. My commitment is to stop everytime someone has an issue, donating my time you know...you just need to sponser it.

I will go sofar as to take pictures of the help I offered for you to see the "look on their faces" since that is what it is about for you...that is if they don't jump on the bike and start riding straight after I fix their issue.

Time to put your money where your mouth is...otherwise, you and that karma aunty can stable your high horses...

Maybe you misunderstood Ampandy, I have seen him help with things people cant get like machining a new part or making bolts to the right size etc.

I know Dips helps like this too. To me that is more valuable than someone giving me a tube because I was too lazy to take one with on a ride.

Maybe you misunderstood Ampandy, I have seen him help with things people cant get like machining a new part or making bolts to the right size etc.

I know Dips helps like this too. To me that is more valuable than someone giving me a tube because I was too lazy to take one with on a ride.

I don't know Ampandy...I am sure he is a good guy...heck we all are. I just don't like the judging tone of his post because I just can't afford to help people that don't appreciate it in my experience. 

See its easy to say, you should stop and help to see the look on peoples faces, its another footing the bill, like I said before these parts are sometimes hard to get and not cheap...

So ja, preach "we are the world" but put your money where your mouth is if you want to judge

Ampandy, waiting your response

Having been the recipient of a "bomb" this weekend on the Capital classic - before you flame me, I had 2 which somehow didn't  work - I am glad there are guys out there who are prepared to help out.  BTW this was "getting it forward" after previously giving away my spare tube to a dude who had punctured more than once.

So what am I saying :huh: ?? 

If you or me is not a racing snake :D , lets help each other out :clap: , and not really expect anything back.

Having been the recipient of a "bomb" this weekend on the Capital classic - before you flame me, I had 2 which somehow didn't  work - I am glad there are guys out there who are prepared to help out.  BTW this was "getting it forward" after previously giving away my spare tube to a dude who had punctured more than once.

So what am I saying :huh: ?? 

If you or me is not a racing snake :D , lets help each other out :clap: , and not really expect anything back.

Cost to much....lets rather go with this....always ride with 100 bucks in your pocket

Should someone help you, you pop it in his hand and insist he takes it.

Archived