Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

User Daniel there just had waaaaaaay too many good deals for under R2k. Smell a rat for sure.

Also Daniel is only a user on OLX since April 2017 - this is most likely a non delivery scam where you have to pay some sort of deposit to book your bike - since they are selling so fast :whistling:

Another wasted effort with a flaky buyer named Steven from PE.

Hi, can you do a hubset at R#,###? Offer some distance below what I wanted.

Yes, I reply. Here's my bank account. Send me a delivery address and a POP.

And that's the end of the fairy tale.

Why make an offer if you have no intention of honouring it?

Let's focus on what happens on the hub with ethics and tidy up our own yard rather than bringing in OLX and Gumtree scams.

• 2 months later...

These are simply illegal never mind unethical. The advert has been deleted and the advertiser's account suspended as per our T&Cs.

No counterfeit or otherwise illegal product may be listed for sale. Any such adverts will be removed and the advertiser's account suspended.

These are simply illegal never mind unethical. The advert has been deleted and the advertiser's account suspended as per our T&Cs.No counterfeit or otherwise illegal product may be listed for sale. Any such adverts will be removed and the advertiser's account suspended.

Amazing! I truly love how scammers are dealt with on the Hub!

Edited by Kalahari Vegmot

These are simply illegal never mind unethical. The advert has been deleted and the advertiser's account suspended as per our T&Cs.

No counterfeit or otherwise illegal product may be listed for sale. Any such adverts will be removed and the advertiser's account suspended.

Just a question, what is the difference between a counterfeit and a replica? Could one advertise a Chinnarello as a Chinnarello? 

Just a question, what is the difference between a counterfeit and a replica? Could one advertise a Chinnarello as a Chinnarello? 

My 2c:

1. A Chinarello is a counterfeit. It is made by an outsider (without consent) to profit 

2. If Pinarello makes a replica of their bikes and state that these are replicas, then these are not fake/counterfeit

Here's an extract from something we posted on the topic a few years ago:

What is regarded as a fake?

A fake or counterfeit product is any product which illegally bears a brand name / registered trademark. In other words if the product bears a registered trademark and was not produced by- or on behalf of the original manufacturer it is counterfeit.

In cycling terms common fakes can include, but are not limited to: bicycle frames, wheels, components, clothing, eyewear.

What about replicas?

Please note the distinction between a "fake" and a "replica" product:

- A true replica is a licensed, legal product and most often produced by the same manufacturer or a licenced manufacturer. Typically you'll find team edition bikes and team clothing being referred to as a "replica".

- A fake is an unlicensed copy and is ILLEGAL

The term "replica" is often incorrectly used to describe goods which are actually counterfeit. Price is usually a good indicator. If it's well below standard retail prices of the real thing it's likely a fake.

What about blank / custom branded carbon frames, wheels and components?

There are many unbranded and custom branded products available which may bear some similarity to a well known brand in the shape / design but are not identical. Generally speaking if it does not illegally bear a registered trademark it is okay. I.e. If it is not pretending to be something it is not then it should not be a problem. However, there may be circumstances where the design itself infringes on a copyright or patent and even without branding it becomes an issue. The safest bet with any unbranded items is to stay away from those attempting to mimic a well know design.

My 2c:

1. A Chinarello is a counterfeit. It is made by an outsider (without consent) to profit 

2. If Pinarello makes a replica of their bikes and state that these are replicas, then these are not fake/counterfeit

Here's an interesting read on the topic from Carlton Reid for BikeBiz:

When is a Pinarello not a Pinarello? When it is a Chinarello

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/when-is-a-pinarello-not-a-pinarello-when-it-is-a-chinarello/019438

Towards the end of the article he digs into more behind the factories behind these "replicas" and busts some of the myths around fakes.

If you'd really like to get stuck in there's a 25000 word piece entitled "Faking it" which gives a lot more insight.

FAKING IT – Inside the shady world of counterfeit bikes, clothing and parts is a series of 20 articles. For offline reading convenience the 25,000 words can be found on a PDF, a Kindle file, an eBook and a Word document.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as many buyers also renege after agreeing to purchase and then I (the seller) put off other buyers when I could have sold to someone else.........works both ways.......NOW......I make it a point of telling every potential buyer......."First come....first served".......... and let your word be your honor...........We are here for each other ....to help each other.....

Just as many buyers also renege after agreeing to purchase and then I (the seller) put off other buyers when I could have sold to someone else.........works both ways.......NOW......I make it a point of telling every potential buyer......."First come....first served".......... and let your word be your honor...........We are here for each other ....to help each other.....

Jip, agree, unfortunately you cannot hold items for anyone anymore. First guy with the cash in my hand or account takes it home with him. Might scare of some people, but then they probably weren't that serious in buying it in the first place,

Perhaps we could look at carbonite.co.za for some inspiration? Those guys have worked really hard at building a reasonable marketplace with good moderators and the general mentality among buyers is to only look if serious about buying. No negotiation after settling on a price. Seller has final say.