Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

A guy I know has his bike and car stolen out of his garage in Somerset West.

A couple of weeks later he walked into Bike Market and saw his bike there. He returned with a detective.

The dodgy path has been traced to the seller in the W-Cape who has been picked up.

Due to sensitivity that is all I know, but the guy is like a staffie, so he is driving it hard to get the perps locked up.

Bike Market is like a cash crusaders. It was only a matter of time before they bought a stolen bike. If they follow the right processes and keep correct records then they are complying and in the clear. Judging on this case it seems they do.

I'm pretty sure a lot of stolen stuff gets moved through the Hub classifieds, and by buying here we run the same risk of buying stolen contraband.

Did he walk into their store and see the bike there? 

Where is their store?

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he walk into their store and see the bike there?

Where is their store?

1. Yes. He goes up to the big smog for work a lot.

2. I don't know.

A couple of weeks later he walked into Bike Market and saw his bike there. He returned with a detective.

The dodgy path has been traced to the seller in the W-Cape who has been picked up.

Due to sensitivity that is all I know, but the guy is like a staffie, so he is driving it hard to get the perps locked up.

Bike Market is like a cash crusaders. It was only a matter of time before they bought a stolen bike. If they follow the right processes and keep correct records then they are complying and in the clear. Judging on this case it seems they do.

I'm pretty sure a lot of stolen stuff gets moved through the Hub classifieds, and by buying here we run the same risk of buying stolen contraband.

The thick plottens....

You guys know something we don't?

Spill the beans.

I don't know anything. The guy was saying the plot thickens. I'm merely asking what the plot is?

I don't know anything. The guy was saying the plot thickens. I'm merely asking what the plot is?

Sorry, Not a fan of these chaps...not surprised about them selling a stolen kit...

Sorry, Not a fan of these chaps...not surprised about them selling a stolen kit...

They've sold hundreds of bikes and unwittingly sold a stolen one, despite, as far as I'm aware, following the correct buying procedures. Kind of inevitable isn't it? Stolen bikes have been sold via bikehub.co.za before, not so?

Edited by Radman

They've sold hundreds of bikes and unwittingly sold a stolen one, despite, as far as I'm aware, following the correct buying procedures. Kind of inevitable isn't it? Stolen bikes have been sold via bikehub.co.za before, not so?

Comparing the BikeHub classifieds model to that of a buyer/seller business one isn't a good comparison.

The one participates while the other merely facilitates.

Point made and accepted...you welcome to spend your hard earned cash there. Not me!

Comparing the BikeHub classifieds model to that of a buyer/seller business one isn't a good comparison.

The one participates while the other merely facilitates.

That's true but the result is essentially the same. Facilitating an inadvertently illegal transaction, like unwittingly being party to one, is an inevitability when dealing with used goods. If the parties involved have followed due process, and it turns out that one out of a hundred bikes sold happens to be previously stolen, one can hardly suggest that it's an intentional part of their business model.

That's true but the result is essentially the same. Facilitating an inadvertently illegal transaction, like unwittingly being party to one, is an inevitability when dealing with used goods. If the parties involved have followed due process, and it turns out that one out of a hundred bikes sold happens to be previously stolen, one can hardly suggest that it's an intentional part of their business model.

Agree, no suggestion on their business model, but then one could also say that they have only been found selling stolen goods once...this might happen more regularly than even they know.

Out of interest, was the stolen bike returned to the owner?

Out of interest, was the stolen bike returned to the owner?

Not sure, but I think it would have been passed on to the insurer

• 2 weeks later...

i dont know where to put this...these bike seems pretty cheap...and when you read they only have 4 in stock...mmm interesting...anyone missing a bike or could it be they are looking to scam someone out of a bank deposit and no delivery :(

https://www.olx.co.za/ad/cervelo-p2-time-trial-bike-54-inc-wheels-ID16gGZl.html#e8c8fa4b2b

https://www.olx.co.za/ad/cannondale-synapse-hi-mod-ultegra-2012-model-size-56-ID16gGZU.html#e8c8fa4b2b

Edited by isetech