Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

you can't really stop it, and I wonder if he really makes that much of you consider all the time that goes into monitoring ads, arranging a purchase, receiving goods, putting up a sale, arranging with buyer and then shipping. One or two bad deals as you're buying off pictures and back to square one

They wouldn't be around if they weren't making money.

All those things you listed can be done easily without costing a cent so it is all profit.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its life and happens all the time... if you happen to be in the right place at the right time, you can get the bargain... if you want to sell it on for a profit because it was such a bargain so be it.  I guess some are making a sideline business out of it.  There are guys who buy and sell bike here on the hub in a similar manner and not just parts.

I know of people in the UK who do it on ebay almost full time as a business, buying and selling.

I think this thread is one that has potential to keep running for ages like the "I have an idea for a new thread" thread.

A month or so ago I tried to sell an CTCT entry for a friend. Almost as soon as I had put the advert up I got a response. The guy seemed genuine, we spoke via whatsapp and I have him my buddies number. Now my buddy knew the process for a sub and also how bike hub works, he just isn't on social media anymore so he was quite capable of carrying on with the deal. I commented on the advert saying this guy has first choice and sale pending. In the mean time I check the guys profile and see he has only been a member for a few min before I placed the advert. So I'm a bit sceptical and I tell my buddy just so that he knows. The buyer tells my buddy he wants the entry and let's start the release process and so on. So we release the entry and the guy says he is inland for business and will be back at home in cape town the following day a d we can complete the payment and the entry transfer. Next day comes and he sends a whatsapp saying he has found another race to do on the same day so will pass this entry up. Luckily no money or entry was lost, just a waste of time. So I comment again entry still available. Suprize Suprize another hour old member comments he wants it. Same story.....whatsapp.....blah blah...... This guy leaves us hanging for 2 days before we replied are you still keen and no response from him. End of the day my buddy said stuff this I must collect his R470 bottle from the expo and no one gets his entry.

In hind sight we should have just advertised it for less as the R250 substitution fee is probably what chased people away.

But why did both the guys only become members shortly before my advert went live?

But why did both the guys only become members shortly before my advert went live?

One theory: They are not active cyclists, let alone hubbers. But they have mates that are active on the Hub that convinced them to do CTCT and told them there might be some entries available on The Hub. 

So they check and find one,  they see they need to have a profile to get the contact details or to comment, so they join. 

I can't think that they are scammers, just once-a-year cyclists.

Edited by Rookie85

So I differ, I will take the time to help the individual as sometimes they are blissfully ignorant.

Just the other day I "helped" somebody to see the workshop stand he was selling was advertised for more than the new price.

Its the buyers duty to verify whether the pricing is right, can't complain agterwards if you pay too much.

ok , so I differ here as well .

lets take the following :

I am selling my used bike that I bought new for R40k for R15k , in my opinion it is in good condition and a good price , in your opinion it is worth less . 

why get involved and ruin a potential sale , by commenting on my sale you are interfering in the interest of the sale.

let the potential buyer come view the bike and then do his own research if the bike is priced fairly or not.    

Wait until we start seeing ads like this ????????????????????

Lol...and we wonder why Zim is where its at....hahaha

ok , so I differ here as well .

lets take the following :

I am selling my used bike that I bought new for R40k for R15k , in my opinion it is in good condition and a good price , in your opinion it is worth less .

why get involved and ruin a potential sale , by commenting on my sale you are interfering in the interest of the sale.

let the potential buyer come view the bike and then do his own research if the bike is priced fairly or not.

On the same token if the price is fair it should be able to bear scrutiny and the seller should be able to account for it. You seem to be implying we should protect unscrupulous sellers?

Yeah, atgueing for the sake of argueing.

The example given by bass would get no attention. Advertising his example bike for R35k, different story.

On the same token if the price is fair it should be able to bear scrutiny and the seller should be able to account for it. You seem to be implying we should protect unscrupulous sellers?

not implying anything !   

• 1 month later...

If someone won a cycling item but would rather have something else, is it ethical to sell such item (at a great price of course)?

If someone won a cycling item but would rather have something else, is it ethical to sell such item (at a great price of course)?

That is perfect I think.

The big gripe I think most people agree upon, is buying an item for say R1000 and with doing absolutely nothing, selling it on for 70-100% more. Technically it is fine but morally and ethically it is questionable.

That is perfect I think.

The big gripe I think most people agree upon, is buying an item for say R1000 and with doing absolutely nothing, selling it on for 70-100% more. Technically it is fine but morally and ethically it is questionable.

Ok cool. I have won some bib shorts ( first time winning anything) but would like to sell them to buy something else.

Hear you on the resale of items, not cool at all.

i have not read this entire thread so please forgive me if this has been discussed already , what really pi$$es me off is when an item is posted for sale and other hubbers then comment on the price being to high or they paid cheaper .

let the seller ask his price, its all about supply and demand if his price is too high he will soon realize and make the necessary price adjustment failing which his sale item will not sell. 

I guess it depends on whether or not you consider the buyers to be your "friends"/community in which case you should advise them. A friend of mine recently bought a bike for about 3 times what it was worth (decent frame, but +-12 year old parts and she doesn't know enough to tell that the parts were much older than the frame). It really irritates me that someone didn't stop her from buying it as she could have gotten an awesome, nearly new, bike for the same price.

I've sold many prizes (guess I'm lucky) in my lifetime. Since you'll probably sell said item(s) for lower than the actual new value I don't find anything wrong with it.