Cycling Cecilia cork tree trail

Toby Adams

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if it is a signage thing then TMNP can have my R2500 today and they can pay me back in 8 months time

Thing is it hasn't been approved. So therefore no issue of signage. They should not have to signpost everywhere you are NOT allowed to cycle. 

I agree that the signage issue is one that is historically a sore-point (Tokai in particular) but this is not the case in this instance. 

No allowance for cycling on the Cork Tree Trail as of yet. Agreement in Principle, yes. But not approved by the higher-ups and put into place. Until then, it remains an illegal trail from an MTB perspective, and as such you are riding rogue if you are riding there. 

This should have been decided from day 1 before the announcement made.. 

Fact is the "agreement on paper" was done around the table bypassing the process that is required. It was a letter of intent. It scored some social media points, that much is a fact.. but at what cost?

I fully support the link between North and South but understand that promises cannot be supported indefinitely. Frustration sets in when things take too long and the people who suffer are the ones on the ground getting fined, riding out of anger at the people who are employed in a position to administer the mountain. Remember, we are discussing a national reserve. 

Deon,

I always smile when I ride over the section of trail near Rhodes Mem where we were diverted away from their offices and at plumpudding. The speed with which they moved there was astounding, in fact they constructed the trail over the stream which would have triggered NEMA ( which even they are required to do an EIA), none of which they conveniently did.

In those cases they were tired of bikers riding past their offices and in the second case I guess the Epic asked what the price was and Sanparks couldn't resist.

Now if Rob with his persuasive and organisational skills gets the budget of the PPA behind him - who knows what Sanparks might be prepared to do. 

I for one have some renewed optimism.

So, perhaps it is time for a quick summary for those who cannot be bothered to read every post before they jump to conclusions and start spitting fire:

1. Tokai got closed because of the fire, sad, but something that could not be helped.

2. Mountainbikers have nowhere to ride in stead, especially those Southern Suburbs riders

3. So, they start riding Cecilia Forest and the Constantia Greenbelts (Don't make like it is only Cork Oak Alley, they rode everywhere, including all the way up the mountain to the dams.)

4. Parks head honcho lives right there and see it every day. Get shat on by aggro riders.

5. Give instructions to rangers to police it better, their job.

6. Table Mountain Bikers negotiate with local Parks officials about opening Cork Oak Alley. They agree in principle and promise to take the request further up the Parks structure to get it officially approved. Very positive.

7. Before that can be done, Table Mountain Bikers circulate the news and riders jump to the incorrect conclusion that it is a done deal and they flood to Cecilia.

8. Rangers and riders conflict, fines are issued.

9. Riders up in arms because Parks have done them a dirty one.

10. Attitudes harden, making the chances of getting Cork Oak Alley officially open slimmer than before.

(Feel free to correct me)

Deon,

I always smile when I ride over the section of trail near Rhodes Mem where we were diverted away from their offices and at plumpudding. The speed with which they moved there was astounding, in fact they constructed the trail over the stream which would have triggered NEMA ( which even they are required to do an EIA), none of which they conveniently did.

In those cases they were tired of bikers riding past their offices and in the second case I guess the Epic asked what the price was and Sanparks couldn't resist.

Now if Rob with his persuasive and organisational skills gets the budget of the PPA behind him - who knows what Sanparks might be prepared to do. 

Are you suggesting that Rob uses PPA processes to push funds into his personal club?

All applications for funding need to be treated equally in order to avoid the kind of unsavoury accusations that reared their ugly head a week or so back on here.

Can you imagine the meltdown if the first group to receive worthwhile trail funding was his own club? Ouch...

Are you suggesting that Rob uses PPA processes to push funds into his personal club?

All applications for funding need to be treated equally in order to avoid the kind of unsavoury accusations that reared their ugly head a week or so back on here.

Can you imagine the meltdown if the first group to receive worthwhile trail funding was his own club? Ouch...

wow that's a leap in assumption - as far as I know he doesn't have a personal club and I hardly think he has been rewarded for the hours he has put in, never met the fellow myself, but he seems to have a real passion for the sport and our mountain

wow that's a leap in assumption - as far as I know he doesn't have a personal club and I hardly think he has been rewarded for the hours he has put in, never met the fellow myself, but he seems to have a real passion for the sport and our mountain

Table Mountain Bikers is his club, he formed it.

He does have passion that's fair to say but all I am saying is if he is going to wear two hats, one as TMB and the other as PPA, then he has to be very aware of peoples perceptions. Because we all love a good scandal, even if it is just imaginary.

Deon,

I also smile when I see that but it could be for different reasons.

How things work in the north is where Tokai was in 1998 until 2012. From 2012 it has been about making it better but this will take time and official agreements through due process.

Passion. Let me not get started. I hinge on divorce for passion for the sport.. 

That would have to be one brave employee with the thickest skin imaginable.

Like the individual that runs the city of cape town facebook and twitter accounts. Never seen so much abuse thrown at someone online ever.

Load shedding is the worst. Every tom dick and harry asks when their area is getting shed... And they answer each individual stupid request.

Feel sorry for that individual.

This whole post is a bit rich given it is written by someone that often posts asking people to pay and stick to the rules when riding Paarl.

So which is it? Do what you want or follow the rules?

Is it?  Awesome how you equate what's happening in Paarl (a landowner that has undertaken to give the takings back to the trails and has given us absolute freedom to build on their land as long as it doesn't cost them money) with what is happening in Cecilia (an inept government agency that makes it impossible to actually enjoy the trails that they didn't put there, don't maintain and don't secure, but still gladly take your permit money).

Learn to read.  I wasn't promoting trespassing.  It would however be great if government agencies sustained with our tax money, actually fulfill their mandate - in this case managing public property for the benefit of all users, conditional on payment for access (which as I undertood OP's post was not in question - they were fined for riding their bikes there, not riding without permits).

We encourage payment at Paarl because we need the money to maintain and improve the trails, not to line some official's pocket.

So to bring us back on point and summarize even more than DJR:

OP was riding a trail that he's not allowed to be on, whether a blind eye was turned in the past or not - it's not allowed.  End of story.

He was pulled over and fined, and is now whining about it.

We're not in NZ.  We have a bureaucratic organisation in charge of the land and its an uphill battle to get permissions to do anything.  Riding where you're not meant to be is making the situation more difficult for everybody.

I personally see no reason at all why I can't ride the jeep track around Ou Wapad and Noordhoek Peak, but it's not allowed so I don't go there.  What's the difference?

I have zero sympathy for the OP.

Is it?  Awesome how you equate what's happening in Paarl (a landowner that has undertaken to give the takings back to the trails and has given us absolute freedom to build on their land as long as it doesn't cost them money) with what is happening in Cecilia (an inept government agency that makes it impossible to actually enjoy the trails that they didn't put there, don't maintain and don't secure, but still gladly take your permit money).

Learn to read.  I wasn't promoting trespassing.  It would however be great if government agencies sustained with our tax money, actually fulfill their mandate - in this case managing public property for the benefit of all users, conditional on payment for access (which as I undertood OP's post was not in question - they were fined for riding their bikes there, not riding without permits).

We encourage payment at Paarl because we need the money to maintain and improve the trails, not to line some official's pocket.

I would reply in depth but I'm too busy learning to read...

Do you have any insight into what is happening at Cecelia, or even Tokai for that matter, that the most of us don't have?

Why don't you do some research before jumping on the 'Parks fault and nobody else is to blame' bandwagon.

The problem at Cecelia was not brought on by anything Parks did, said or announced.

So to bring us back on point and summarize even more than DJR:

OP was riding a trail that he's not allowed to be on, whether a blind eye was turned in the past or not - it's not allowed.  End of story.

He was pulled over and fined, and is now whining about it.

We're not in NZ.  We have a bureaucratic organisation in charge of the land and its an uphill battle to get permissions to do anything.  Riding where you're not meant to be is making the situation more difficult for everybody.

I personally see no reason at all why I can't ride the jeep track around Ou Wapad and Noordhoek Peak, but it's not allowed so I don't go there.  What's the difference?

I have zero sympathy for the OP.

By all accounts that should be back up and running fairly soon (hope I haven't jinxed it now).

Agree 100%

Edited by Headshot

I would reply in depth but I'm too busy learning to read...

Do you have any insight into what is happening at Cecelia, or even Tokai for that matter, that the most of us don't have?

Why don't you do some research before jumping on the 'Parks fault and nobody else is to blame' bandwagon.

The problem at Cecelia was not brought on by anything Parks did, said or announced.

But in part by what they didn't do, say or announce.