Cycling Cecilia cork tree trail

Toby Adams

Tim I agree with most of what you've said but I also at times feel that Parks encourages rouge riding to an extent. Currently if you want to ride Rhodes Mem or the front of the mountain you need to purchase a day permit if you don't have an activity card. However there's only one place where you can buy said permit - Tokai! What that means is a trip out there to buy one if riding during the week and over weekends you're screwed as Tokai is closed then. That makes no sense and most people who know they should buy a permit for there don't due to Parks' rules that's currently in place. Nobody wants to be breaking the law but at the same time the authorities shouldn't be making it hard to be able to obey it.

I have been informed that since the start of the month they have been available in town.

Don't ask me where in town though as Parks don't seem to have gone as far as actually advertising the fact.

Oh and to the best of my knowledge up until a week (roughly) ago the sales in town came to exactly nil. None. Zero.

Good stuff from Parks there...

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been informed that since the start of the month they have been available in town.

Don't ask me where in town though as Parks don't seem to have gone as far as actually advertising the fact.

Oh and to the best of my knowledge up until a week (roughly) ago the sales in town came to exactly nil. None. Zero.

Good stuff from Parks there...

Stuff like that makes one pull one's hair out! I'd think perhaps the day permits would be sold at the ranger station at the lower parking area of the cable way? It would be the one place to me that makes sense to have it. Another sensible spot would be the cable way itself and/or Rhodes Mem restaurant as all are open each day.

You guys are real troopers for dealing with this level of bureaucratic inconsistency.

..............this level of bureaucratic inconsistency.

Ha ha, what I want to call it will earn me a warning from Admin!

But I do have sympathy for SANParks, they are like a big old elephant, good for the long slow slog, but now they are required to nimbly swing from tree to tree like a monkey.....it cannot be done in a delicate and efficient way!

There is a big difference here between riding illegal trials and riding without a permit. Permits aren't that hard to get and if you are buying for a year then it's a bit of foot work once a year not the end of the world.

I actual think that there are very few riders I have passed on table mountain who are only riding enough to need a day permit.

The rangers were out at the epic dh / plum pudding section yesterday. There were a lot of riders on serious bikes who we're seasoned riders moaning that they couldn't get a day pass on a weekend. More than one group I see on a lot of the weekends.

How ever stupid the rules are they are the rules and TMNP doesn't have to let us ride there. Obey the rules and if you don't like the system then actually join those people who put a lot of effort into the thankless task of trying to change the rules and get more trails for everybody to ride.

Ha ha, what I want to call it will earn me a warning from Admin!

But I do have sympathy for SANParks, they are like a big old elephant, good for the long slow slog, but now they are required to nimbly swing from tree to tree like a monkey.....it cannot be done in a delicate and efficient way!

Sadly you are quite correct in saying that.

It would be nice though if they could get someone who's on the ball with marketing and public communications. Just upping their game with that will ensure that they get a whole lot less unnecessary flak.

There is a big difference here between riding illegal trials and riding without a permit. Permits aren't that hard to get and if you are buying for a year then it's a bit of foot work once a year not the end of the world.

I actual think that there are very few riders I have passed on table mountain who are only riding enough to need a day permit.

The rangers were out at the epic dh / plum pudding section yesterday. There were a lot of riders on serious bikes who we're seasoned riders moaning that they couldn't get a day pass on a weekend. More than one group I see on a lot of the weekends.

How ever stupid the rules are they are the rules and TMNP doesn't have to let us ride there. Obey the rules and if you don't like the system then actually join those people who put a lot of effort into the thankless task of trying to change the rules and get more trails for everybody to ride.

For me who lives gat kant van die wereld in the deep south getting an activity card makes sense and will be doing so when back home from working in Abidjan.

The problem comes in for the average day rider as he/she needs a permit. Parks have not been good at communications with the public ito the need for a permit and where to get said permit.

As I said a little earlier if they can up that it'll go long way from sparing them entirely unnecessary flak.

Edited by Mntboy

I don't think the rangers even know what is going on. A friend and I were stopped about a year back at the start of the cork lane coming from the top, got asked for our permits, to the surprised of the rangers we produced our Activity cards and they let us carry on. Then last week I got stopped by a bakkie at the Cecilia parking lot, by a TMNP employee, and was told not to go on the Jeep track as the trail along the fence (cork lane) was designated for cyclists. He did say he didn't have the authority to fine me if I went up the mountain, but if his colleagues saw me anywhere else but on the fence line trails I would be liable for a fine.

(And no I didn't ride up the mountain!)

I don't think the rangers even know what is going on. A friend and I were stopped about a year back at the start of the cork lane coming from the top, got asked for our permits, to the surprised of the rangers we produced our Activity cards and they let us carry on. Then last week I got stopped by a bakkie at the Cecilia parking lot, by a TMNP employee, and was told not to go on the Jeep track as the trail along the fence (cork lane) was designated for cyclists. He did say he didn't have the authority to fine me if I went up the mountain, but if his colleagues saw me anywhere else but on the fence line trails I would be liable for a fine.

(And no I didn't ride up the mountain!)

It's all a bit mad isn't it.

"You can go that way, but not the other. Probably. But when there is a full moon you can go both, or that's what I think they told us"...

It's all a bit mad isn't it.

"You can go that way, but not the other. Probably. But when there is a full moon you can go both, or that's what I think they told us"...

Squirrel

My Sunday morning ride started up Southern Cross, as I reached the stop street across from the entrance to one section of the Cecilia trails I saw no less than five TMNP officials and one cyclist who was absolutely letting rip on one of the officials. (not sure if that much manpower was necessary but it did get the message across that they were not going to be taking any rubbish from anyone)

After he was done, I approached the most official looking chap and asked about riding the lower section of the forest. I told him that last week, I had been told by a guy in a TMNP outfit that the section along the fence was open to cyclists, the official said that I was not the first person to inform him of the mixed messaging. So my question is, how can one official inform you that it is allowed, and then another says it's not? How can everyone get on the same page?

On a further note, what is the point of k*kking out a guy who is actually doing his job? Picking a fight with an official over a trail is just going to ruin your day and his. Yes, we may not agree with what he is doing, but it is his job. I didn't fight the metro cops for the speeding fine I got...Just accept that you can't ride the trail and carry on enjoying the day, which I know you were doing already because you were riding your bike.

P.S I can't wait for Tokai to reopen. Man I miss that place!

Edited by lukelockie

On a further note, what is the point of k*kking out a guy who is actually doing his job? Picking a fight with an official over a trail is just going to ruin your day and his. Yes, we may not agree with what he is doing, but it is his job. I didn't fight the metro cops for the speeding fine I got...Just accept that you can't ride the trail and carry on enjoying the day, which I know you were doing already because you were riding your bike.

100%. Just make you look a d*ck and does nothing to help relationships or the case of those working to get more trails opened for us. 

You should see the great and the good dog walkers of Newlands Forest spit their dummies when the rangers go inspecting activity cards there. I'd say 90% of those guys haven't got a permit but blow up because they've 'been walking here for years'. Haven't even seen them fined though. 

I wonder what Sanparks management intended and felt they have achieved by this stunt.

(let me say I was pleasantly surprised by the rangers I met at Oudeschip yesterday, its a mugging hotspot and they were a welcome presence, I chatted to them about the activities in the northern section and they were quite engaging - kudos to them).

On the other hand we have Northern Section Management enforcing what had become a generally accepted route, which had the effect of keeping riders off a dangerous section of road and quite frankly has very little impact on any other users of Cecelia.

So by now taking out the big stick they have once again polarised themselves and mtb riders. Why not just have a bakkie and a guy there and tell riders they cant ride there - but to issue fines in terms of NEMA, that's just extremely silly in my view.

The reason I say that is it is criminal offence they have created and it now needs to go via Wynberg court. So in the scheme of the things that go on in Wynberg Court (I have spent some time there recently) they now are forcing the prosecutor to decide if they have the time to deal with this nonsense. (versus perhaps the crowbar gang, domestic violence and all the other issues we have in the courts.)

Bravo Sanparks management - another example of your inept management in getting your rangers to do the work of a management team which seems at best confused and at worst totally out of touch with the direction this is inevitably going.

Edited by tubed

....................one cyclist who was absolutely letting rip on one of the officials. ..............

If I ever come across this, I would physically go and side with the rangers and get my pepper spray ready.  At the very least they will then know that not all cyclists are arseholes! There is simply no reason good enough to abuse these guys! :cursing:

If I ever come across this, I would physically go and side with the rangers and get my pepper spray ready.  At the very least they will then know that not all cyclists are arseholes! There is simply no reason good enough to abuse these guys! :cursing:

The official handled the situation very well, he let the guy scream and shout and work himself up, he then responded with a simple "I am not going to entertain this anymore" and walked away. That's when I approached him and had a chat. People often forget that old do unto others rule...