Junior Tour ladies-Fiasco-Michelle Corbet

gypsy

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, let the girl ride, The final stage is a killer, would like to see some of the Elites race it. Anyone who finished the tour needs a huge medal, it is a very hard tour. I battled just driving a car up the climbs never mind a bike !!! Ronel , yes we do need you back in the sport  !!! Could I nominate you as a selector at congress???

If there was a problem it should have been cleared out at the race. As earlier stated it was so done by the officials. Then it was happining in the last couple days, meaning for me it was probably a crit? No one is so dum to pull a rider with people all over on a crit circuit.

Then you can't disq the rider now for this, thats if she was guilty, what i can see clearly from the foto that she is not. So, leave it and get over yourself.

Cherry, nice observation, but she ride the same styl doesn't matter if she is putting effort in or not. Thats how she rides.Wink

Michelle is young and of course needs all the encouragement and support that she can get. However it would seem that more experienced cyclists and people that should know better are causing Michelle to take the wrong route for their own selfish gain. Michelle obviously has talent and I respect her for that. However to achieve on the worlds stage you need to play by the rules. Anybody that teaches her any different is doing her a great injustice and that is certainly not fair on Michelle.

Let Michelle speak for herself, i am sure that she can clear up the controversy by posting her comments on the HUB. So long as they are hers and not edited by someone else.

Confused

Dear Gypsy, or parent of a junior who had his/her nose put out of joint at the recent junior Tour, at the risk of sounding obtuse. I too have been involved in cycling for a long time... a very long time. As the manager of Michelle Corbett and Konica Minolta, I will attempt to clarify the facts surrounding the so called "pushing of Michelle"

The photo was taken on the last stage before entering the golden gate reserve, at this point in time Michelle was sitting comfortably in the Junior boys peleton. She eased off on order to fetch a bottle from her team car, in so doing she passed the Mr Price rider, who incidently is from Cape Town and has no assocation with Jills Mr Price Junior team. the rider was under the impression she was being dropped and being a boy he gave her a word of encouragment and touched Michelle on the shoulder...

Michelle Collected her bottle and regained contact with the peleton. At all times during the race she closely was followed by more than one commisarre, including Craig Autrey and Hendrik Wagenaar whom you are welcome to contact over the matter.

You are very quick to label an athlete a "cheat without" confirming the facts.  She won the tour by close on 30 minutes over the 2nd placed lady.....and you are claiming she did this by being "pushed along?

Had Michelle Cheated she would have been disqualified on the tour and she would have born the consequence of your actions.

I look forward to seeing Michelle race again at SA Championships in May, and I'm hoping to see you on the start line together with your daughter/son, perhaps you will be open enough to come an introduce yourself.

Michelle is a talented young athlete whom both myself and Konica Minolta are proud to be associated with. I firmly believe that  with the correct guidence she has the abilty to win a medal for South Africa in the junior World Road Championships, if not this year then in 2008. Give her credit as she deserves it. Not since the days of Ronel van Wyk have I seen a first year junior race the way she did.

These are of course just my personal feelings on the matter  

Let Michelle speak for herself' date=' i am sure that she can clear up the controversy by posting her comments on the HUB. So long as they are hers and not edited by someone else.

[/quote']

Gypsy - Lay off it now, please. We, as adults, continue to take responsibility, and act on behalf, and support and guide, our children. Including you.

Carinus

see ................. get the facts ..... thanks Belgium Boy !!

Gypsy - sounds like you have a coupla gripes about some things ...

Leave her alone, she is a good rider and i saw her in action at the Sterling light last year, rode a some of the way with her and her dad, encouragement all the way, rightfully so.....  i don't beleive she would have cheated....but this is a public forum, so lets the hotshots decide....good to chat but not make statements ... :)  Go girl!!

Shall we wait for the Mothers and Fathers to get home from work before we warm up the popcorn??

Nee screw dit ek is honger, hulle kan kom vir rondte no 2. Jy weet, soos n minireeks!

Op hierdie punt moet ek vra...... hoe werk jy en popcorn saam? Veilig?Big%20smile

i agree with cherry that the pic doesn't look like he was pushing her - if anyone were to try give me a "helping hand" on my shoulder i'd clobber them cos they'd be more likely to push me over than forwards!

Michelle is young and of course needs all the encouragement and support that she can get. However it would seem that more experienced cyclists and people that should know better are causing Michelle to take the wrong route for their own selfish gain. Michelle obviously has talent and I respect her for that. However to achieve on the worlds stage you need to play by the rules. Anybody that teaches her any different is doing her a great injustice and that is certainly not fair on Michelle.

Let Michelle speak for herself' date=' i am sure that she can clear up the controversy by posting her comments on the HUB. So long as they are hers and not edited by someone else.

Confused

[/quote']

And how did your daughter / son do, also had to eat a piece of humble pieEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

I also had to eat my piece of pie and took it in my stride .  If she beat the competition fair and square, let it go.  There is nothing you can do about it now.  Would love to hear what Jill has to say about this, after all you are pointing her and her team as the culprits.

Just remember one thing if you make a statement like this, you must be able to walk the walk, because to slander someone to say she crooked, is opening yourself for a hiding

My R0.05c worth 
sammajoor2008-04-08 05:51:31

Confused

[/quote']

And hoe did your daughter do also had to eat a piece of humble pieEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

Now that's the only bad tasting pie I've EVER had!!!

As a parent myself I cannot understand how other parents will come out after an event, where their child did not live up to their expectations, and bad mouth an obviously talented athlete Angry

What does the child learn from this? To be a bad sports person?

The mark of a TRUE champion lies in losing gracefully and we as parents should encourage our children to enjoy participation and acknowledge the winner on the day. 

Also Mr Price boys pulled back to help Michelle back into the bunch after she got a puncture. That stinks. Mr Price should also be rapped over the knuckles as well as Konica Minolta for stooping to such low tactics.

Dont now about this. I am the manager of one of the Harmony teams. On day 2 Michelle and one of my riders punctured almost at the same place.

They worked together to get back to the bunch and I must say that she did her share, if not more of the work..

Also remember that although there was a ladies jersey, the ladies competed in the mens race.

Michelle gave almost half the field a hidden. she is serious talent.