The NON-LCHF thread

jcza

Was listening to radio the other day and they were also discussing the LCHF/HFLC thing, basically the doc/whoever said that a balanced diet is the key.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was listening to radio the other day and they were also discussing the LCHF/HFLC thing, basically the doc/whoever said that a balanced diet is the key.

Did this "doc" say what balanced is?

It seems to be a go to statement for difficult questions.

I liken it to the "God moves in mysterious ways" statement.

It seems to be a go to statement for difficult questions.

I liken it to the "God moves in mysterious ways" statement.

I think balanced depends on what you're doing. Eating to watch telly is not the same as eating to train or race.

Hey. I don't know, lets just look at what the best riders in the world eat in order to perform at their peak.... Carbs. Well that solves that one. I don't see any tdf team not chowing buckets of carbs. Case closed, sorry Timmy. :P

Please apply common sense in proportioning food intake to work load.

I think balanced depends on what you're doing. Eating to watch telly is not the same as eating to train or race.

What JC says

Basically, eat in moderation but don't cut out one or the other completely. 

I'm on this crazy new diet where I basically avoid eating too much food or any junk food.

So I eat lots of veggies, some legumes & nuts, some carbs (primarily in the form of root crops but with the occasional pasta) and small quantities of meat, fish and dairy.

It's so weird but it's actually made me quite lean and healthy. 

On days that I don't train. I try cut back on as much carbs as possible. But before and during training I'll have carbs (with the amount carbs linked to how hard and long the training is.)

Exactly, its a blanket statement that can be interpreted infinitely but gets told to everybody, hence why I detest it.

Balanced could be 70/20/10 or 50/40/10 or 1/1/98 depending on who you talk to....

Hey. I don't know, lets just look at what the best riders in the world eat in order to perform at their peak.... Carbs. Well that solves that one. I don't see any tdf team not chowing buckets of carbs. Case closed, sorry Timmy. :P

Please apply common sense in proportioning food intake to work load.

The problem with this is we don't train nearly as hard as the top athletes. They eat enough carbs to sustain their activity level. If you sit in front of a desk and eat like they do you will get dik! :-P

If cycling isn't your career I think the LCHF will provide you with more than enough energy. I snack on chilli nuggets with fat on an d cabanossi during races and my energy levels is fine, I do take a hammer gel every now and then. I do spend 4+ hours in the saddle.

Eat when hungry and STOP when satisfied! Get rid of the mentality that I have food in my plate and I have to finish it! That is not moderation!

I do also enjoy my craft beer and eating right weekdays and having my beers on weekends my weight has been constant for 6 months now after losing 15kg.

I am not an expert but for doing this for a year its my lifestyle now and it works for me!

Exactly, its a blanket statement that can be interpreted infinitely but gets told to everybody, hence why I detest it.

Balanced could be 70/20/10 or 50/40/10 or 1/1/98 depending on who you talk to....

This made me think .... So 'balanced' should be 33.3333/33.3333/33.3333 not so ;)

Tried twice and failed twice. I'm yet to meet anyone or see any evidence that LCHF makes you ride faster. 

Got some coconut oil if you're interested. Special price just for you obviously  :whistling:

LCHF does not make you faster....

Dropping weight does make you faster...... but for max race performance, you need carbs as fuel....

(even Tim says this....)

The problem with this is we don't train nearly as hard as the top athletes. They eat enough carbs to sustain their activity level. If you sit in front of a desk and eat like they do you will get dik! :-P

Speak for your self, not others.

A quick check on strava reveals that for the last 4 weeks, you averaged 37 km per week. JCZA averaged 281 km. If you were to try do the distance he is doing, you would not cope on fats and protein alone.

I'm sure that LCHF will work for the amount of training you are doing. But not everyone trains the same amount as you

A quick check on strava reveals that for the last 4 weeks, you averaged 37 km per week. JCZA averaged 281 km. If you were to try do the distance he is doing, you would not cope on fats and protein alone.

So - that's basically 1 tour de france day spread over a week,,,,, :) :) Not by any means enough....

If cycling isn't your career I think the LCHF will provide you with more than enough energy. I snack on chilli nuggets with fat on an d cabanossi during races and my energy levels is fine, I do take a hammer gel every now and then. I do spend 4+ hours in the saddle.

Eat when hungry and STOP when satisfied! Get rid of the mentality that I have food in my plate and I have to finish it! That is not moderation!

I do also enjoy my craft beer and eating right weekdays and having my beers on weekends my weight has been constant for 6 months now after losing 15kg.

I am not an expert but for doing this for a year its my lifestyle now and it works for me!

I did say apply common sense. If you tried to eat the food a world tour ride rats on one day at the tour you would be sick for a few days. There is a great video in the interwebs showing this in detail ;)

I'm sure that LCHF will work for the amount of training you are doing. But not everyone trains the same amount as you

WHEN HE IS NOT DOING his little sunday rides of 200+ kms