To wield or not to wield

popcorn_skollie

To wield or not to wield  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Are you armed for purposes of safeguarding yourself and/or your belongings when you go out riding?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Assuming you answered yes, What are you wielding?

• Firearm
    • Gasgun or Non-Lethal Firearm
    • Mace or Pepper spray
    • Taser
    • Knife
    • Other (drop a comment in the thread to elaborate)
    • none
  3. 3. Assuming you answered no. Is arming yourself for rides something you would consider?

• Yes
    • No

I have been robbed, mugged, shot at etc. I have avoided such incidents as well and even fought off perpetrators. The thing is, you have to be sure when to stand your ground, you will know when yo surrender. "Plastic gangsters" are easy to identify and easy to f up. The hardcore guys are the ones to worry about. Identifying them comes with experience, but at the same time rather be safe than sorry.

Out of all those times, I wished I had a gun. However I still do not own one. I used to walk around with a knife until I came to realise the consequences, as well as a steel collapsible batton. Now I just use pepper spray. No contact and no hurting your hands. I have used it twice. It takes about 5 to 10 sec depending where you spray and the perp is on the floor.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/21/2023 at 2:09 PM, FirstV8 said:

For those curious know the size of my Pepper 9mm pistol here is a pic compared to a std computer mouse and my head light . 

IMG_5755.jpg

IMG_5756.jpg

what is the effective range of the pepper round? Does it blow out a cloud of pepper or does it fie a projectile that explodes on impact like the Byrna, Tippmann etc?

It fires a blank 9mm filled with pepper spray powder ? . It comes out as a mist and is effective to about 20 m.  

On 2/20/2023 at 9:09 PM, FirstV8 said:

I carry a 9mm pepper spray pistol in my right back pocket  ( holds 6 blank 9mm cartridges ). When fired the sound is of a firearm so its frightening to the criminal  as well as hopefully will scare them into running off . I had a Germán Shepard come out of a open gate a few weeks ago chasing me . It was on a slight down hill so had the advantage of some speed but it stayed trying to bite me . I carry it with one up , safety off but not cocked . In one move movement i took it out , while pulling the hammer back ( i have practiced this many times ) and fired a shot at the snarling demon who immediately yelped and ran onto the pavement . The owner was coming out his driveway in his car and had followed the dog . The confrontation with the owner was almost worse than with the dog as he thought i had shot and wounded his dog . When i had convinced and shown him that it was a pepper spray blank that the gun shoots he immediately asked where i had bought it and if one needs a license to own one . It saved me that day and a trip to the hospital for stiches and  a tetanus  shot . 

I've always thought you may as well pull a real gun cos if they're armed and you pull a non lethal but realistic looking lookalike, you'll likely get shot?

On 2/21/2023 at 9:54 PM, Pandatron said:

On a recent group ride in Jozi, we stopped for coffee and there was a commotion close by/confusion. Out of seven riders, 4 conjured firearms out of nowhere

Ride last weekend, a member said he's swapping his 19 for a 43, so he can conceal easier.

Definitely feels like riders are arming themselves more or have been...could also just be jozi

Just lost on how you can carry in riding gear, maybe I should check some diets out😜

Would be interested to know how these guys are carrying a G19 or the likes while cycling, and not having it print in toight lycra...

15 minutes ago, Mtree said:

Would be interested to know how these guys are carrying a G19 or the likes while cycling, and not having it print in toight lycra...

Unfortunately not riding with that group anymore or any riding at the moment (Broken shoulder)

56 minutes ago, Pandatron said:

Unfortunately not riding with that group anymore or any riding at the moment (Broken shoulder)

Ah sorry to hear that man, heal up quick!

Hoping you will be back on the bike soon!:thumbup:

13 hours ago, love2fly said:

I've always thought you may as well pull a real gun cos if they're armed and you pull a non lethal but realistic looking lookalike, you'll likely get shot?

I think everyone is in agreement that a real firearm is best for self defense. But if for whatever reason you cannot have a firearm or have one on you, a pepper gun/pepper spray is a whole lot better than fending off an attacker with your personality. 

I've done a bit of research (Youtubing) on this and it's interesting to note that some people don't seem to be phased by pepper spray/tear gas at all. But I'm far more conformable having a pepper ball launcher in my side table at night than having to reason with a criminal in my underpants at 3 in the morning.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

14 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Thanks, do you not find it restrictive at all i.e. your leg hitting up against it on each stroke or do you carry it over your back and also, how quickly can you get to it if it's under your jersey?

I used to carry my dinkum 9mm in a shoulder holster but found it too heavy and my weapon started to rust very quickly from all the sweat so I stopped that and bought myself a Guardian Angel pepper gun. The Pro is it's nice and light so can be carried in a jersey pocket, the Cons are it only carries 2 shots, doesn't make a loud noise and can be thrown away once discharged, so I'm looking at another practical alternative now.

10 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Thanks, do you not find it restrictive at all i.e. your leg hitting up against it on each stroke or do you carry it over your back and also, how quickly can you get to it if it's under your jersey?

I used to carry my dinkum 9mm in a shoulder holster but found it too heavy and my weapon started to rust very quickly from all the sweat so I stopped that and bought myself a Guardian Angel pepper gun. The Pro is it's nice and light so can be carried in a jersey pocket, the Cons are it only carries 2 shots, doesn't make a loud noise and can be thrown away once discharged, so I'm looking at another practical alternative now.

Am a bit nervous now; we cycled together -happily, I feel! - yet I was unaware you were ‘locked & loaded’…or is that ‘packin’ or carrying…?

May now not ride Eroica 2024 with you, NOTHING personal, just ‘cause!
😘

12 hours ago, Zebra said:

Am a bit nervous now; we cycled together -happily, I feel! - yet I was unaware you were ‘locked & loaded’…or is that ‘packin’ or carrying…?

May now not ride Eroica 2024 with you, NOTHING personal, just ‘cause!
😘

😄 You're totally safe Chris, I've got your back 😉😇 Jokes aside, I only carry when I'm cycling alone in an area that I know there's more of a risk. Most of the time I just have the Guardian Angel with me, literally & figuratively 😊 I

On 10/12/2023 at 9:01 AM, BuffsVintageBikes said:

With the webbing it helps with protection against rust, although cleaning post ride is probably best practice for any edc item. It’s designed as belly holster, so there shouldn’t be any contact on the knees, access can be adjusted depending on how you make changes. Keeping in mind one needs to practice drawing access, otherwise it defeats the advantage of any carry system. 

do you guys wielding do situation training?

There are two reasons I ask this, as using a pistol is one thing, but shooting someone or even harming someone is another.

The other reason would be to make sure you are able to stop the piece being taken or used on you.

Do you carry to defend your stuff or to defend your life?

The best form of self defence is running away. Shooting, killing, maiming another person lives with you a very long time, even if you're defending yourself.

I'm not touching on a moral high ground, I think anyone mugging/hijacking/harming others with intend deserves exactly what they get. 

I'm talking about the trauma that comes from the violence. Being a killer in any situation doesn't sit well with most people.

Some socio and psychopaths excluded