To wield or not to wield

popcorn_skollie

To wield or not to wield  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Are you armed for purposes of safeguarding yourself and/or your belongings when you go out riding?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Assuming you answered yes, What are you wielding?

• Firearm
    • Gasgun or Non-Lethal Firearm
    • Mace or Pepper spray
    • Taser
    • Knife
    • Other (drop a comment in the thread to elaborate)
    • none
  3. 3. Assuming you answered no. Is arming yourself for rides something you would consider?

• Yes
    • No

I fancy a tactical baton, one of those telescopic jobbies. Anyone got any recommendations on this front?

The ASP batons are about the best, there are some others that are of a similar quality, be ready to pony up over R1k though, the budget ones aren't worth the money you pay, they are just plain useless.

Nice weapon to have and quite a deterrent when you present them but I'm not sure how useful they would be in a bike jacking situation, perhaps a nice reserve to have in case they try to hurt you on top of robbing you.

Often these kind of criminals are a bit crazy, they'll take a cracking on the head/shoulder/sternum and still keep coming with their knives or worse pull a gun, I vote throw your valuables their way and run the opposite direction, leave your ego out of it.

I had a guy chase me a few days ago, 2 guys were walking up the road, it was getting dark hard to make them out and as I approached they spread out over the road, my spider senses started going haywire. First thought was wtf do these idiots think they are, it's a double roadway get out the way, ja try me.

Luckily I sobered up and realised I was a sitting duck so I stopped about 20m from them and the one guy started clearly heading in my direction, in those split seconds I had to make a decision, my spine went cold and I put my tail between my legs and bolted down a side street, I could hear the guys footsteps running behind me, eerie. When I was riding away there was a funny grinding noise coming from the back of my bike, after a 100m or 2 I stopped to check what it was, there was a piece of wood stuck between my tire and frame, it definitely was not there before I rode off from the situation, I'm cirmising the guy tried to push a stick into my spokes.

Anyway the point is don't let your ego get in the way of choosing safety over proving a point, it takes years of training to be able to correctly access a situation and then fight the threat off in an appropriate manner. If you don't have the training don't try your luck, these guys are ruthless, to many criminals your life is worth nothing, one or 2 stabs in the wrong place and it's over, what bike or phone is worth that?

Edited by Skylark

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something to keep in mind when trying to stop a deadly attack with a can of pepper spray/batton/tazer. Dont get me wrong, all of them are better that asking nicely to stop raping you, but I prefer something a bit more convincing. I am also not advocating to fight back and shoot every time, there are also countless times where surrendering kept people alive, but there are also countless times it got them killed, and I would like the option. As for people that thing all guys who carry firearms are "cowboys" or trying to be rambo, please keep your uneducated opinion to yourself, when the **** hits the fan you will be the first one looking at me for help because you will be at the mercy of your attackers.

So in short, yes I do carry a firearm with me when out cycling or running but I would prefer not too. It is secured in a proper holster with a proper gun belt, out of sight.

Edited by GlockG4

The ASP batons are about the best, there are some others that are of a similar quality, be ready to pony up over R1k though, the budget ones aren't worth the money you pay, they are just plain useless.

Nice weapon to have and quite a deterrent when you present them but I'm not sure how useful they would be in a bike jacking situation, perhaps a nice reserve to have in case they try to hurt you on top of robbing you.

Often these kind of criminals are a bit crazy, they'll take a cracking on the head/shoulder/sternum and still keep coming with their knives or worse pull a gun, I vote throw your valuables their way and run the opposite direction, leave your ego out of it.

I had a guy chase me a few days ago, 2 guys were walking up the road, it was getting dark hard to make them out and as I approached they spread out over the road, my spider senses started going haywire. First thought was wtf do these idiots think they are, it's a double roadway get out the way, ja try me.

Luckily I sobered up and realised I was a sitting duck so I stopped about 20m from them and the one guy started clearly heading in my direction, in those split seconds I had to make a decision, my spine went cold and I put my tail between my legs and bolted down a side street, I could hear the guys footsteps running behind me, eerie. When I was riding away there was a funny grinding noise coming from the back of my bike, after a 100m or 2 I stopped to check what it was, there was a piece of wood stuck between my tire and frame, it definitely was not there before I rode off from the situation, I'm cirmising the guy tried to push a stick into my spokes.

Anyway the point is don't let your ego get in the way of choosing safety over proving a point, it takes years of training to be able to correctly access a situation and then fight the threat off in an appropriate manner. If you don't have the training don't try your luck, these guys are ruthless, to many criminals your life is worth nothing, one or 2 stabs in the wrong place and it's over, what bike or phone is worth that?

hi

sorry to hear about ur exp of attmpted hijacking, please give us more details of the area etc, im also in the wc and i feel like a prisoner at home looking at my bikes too scared venture out on a spontaneous ride without the cycling group.

any heads up on potential hotspots is appreciated, glad you and bike survived this ordeal.

This seems to remind of some movie. Where there is no law and the gangs/criminals/tsotsies control the streets. They rob who they want when they want and the so called government just collect taxes

Ok, not on topic - during my articles I did some criminal law work -

trying to take instructions from a gangster who "sabela" (speaks prison

language!)I picked up some lingo there! - nowadays when I encounter these dodgy looking guys, I "salute" them, sabela in my own way (while cycling very fast!!) - maybe it help because I look like some of them (Admin, am I allow to say that?)

Please be safe out there and don't let these okes spoil our fun!

My take on this is just to co-operate and hand over what they want. I have insurance and anything that costs money can be replaced.

I think a firearm will only escalate the problem to the point where a murder is going to be committed. Personally, I would rather just make a claim.

(That is not to say I am against firearms), I own one, I am trained to use it, and if there is a situation where there are intruders on my property, different story. Prepare for a funeral.

I carry one of these. They fit perfectly into your bicycle pump mount or I just velco it to my top tube for easy access. post-50361-0-70994600-1438676581_thumb.jpg

Edited by Otero

I fancy a tactical baton, one of those telescopic jobbies. Anyone got any recommendations on this front?

Yep I carry one of the lighter ones ...It fits into the pump slot on the side of my Camelbak I have a stretchy cord attached to it that runs over my shoulder to the chest harness.I can pull it out within seconds.

Something to keep in mind when trying to stop a deadly attack with a can of pepper spray/batton/tazer. Dont get me wrong, all of them are better that asking nicely to stop raping you, but I prefer something a bit more convincing. I am also not advocating to fight back and shoot every time, there are also countless times where surrendering kept people alive, but there are also countless times it got them killed, and I would like the option. As for people that thing all guys who carry firearms are "cowboys" or trying to be rambo, please keep your uneducated opinion to yourself, when the **** hits the fan you will be the first one looking at me for help because you will be at the mercy of your attackers.

So in short, yes I do carry a firearm with me when out cycling or running but I would prefer not too. It is secured in a proper holster with a proper gun belt, out of sight.

Not surprised to see which side of the fence "GlockG4" sits on in this debate. For the rest of us, I think surrender is definitely the percentage play worth taking. (I very happily got out my car and lay on the ground last month when confronted by a gun at a robot - no need for a gunfight, it's just stuff)......... but that's just my uneducated opinion.

I doubt whether I will actually carry anything. But I have considered it. Still do.

If I do equip myself with anything, whether I would actually use it in any given scenario is another question all together. I guess it would depend on the situation itself.

To me, its only common sense to just co-operate and live to tell the story.

The risks involved are too great. The consequences could be catastrophic.   

There's no telling what might go wrong.

BUT. Do we just roll over? Because if we all adopt an attitude where we constantly allow criminals to do as they please things can only get worse.

I'm not suggesting a solution nor advocating the use of weapons either. 

I'm really on the fence about this. Because every time a criminal gets away with this sort of thing. The more frequently we will see it happen.

Not surprised to see which side of the fence "GlockG4" sits on in this debate. For the rest of us, I think surrender is definitely the percentage play worth taking. (I very happily got out my car and lay on the ground last month when confronted by a gun at a robot - no need for a gunfight, it's just stuff)......... but that's just my uneducated opinion.

Sorry to hear, glad you are ok. Please don't get me wrong, there are bigger debates in the firearm community about surrender than 26" vs 29". I just don't like it when people say you WILL be fine when you surrender, or a pepper ball "gun" will be fine. Like I said, something is better than nothing. When I am confronted by an attacker that is most probably high on tik, I want the tools to defend MYSELF, not my bike. You will be screwed by the long dick of the law when you start to use your firearm to protect your belongings, I am just not willing to take the chance that he is going to take my bike and leave me alone. When I am in a situation where I am being bike jacked I will assess the situation and decide if deadly force is required or will it be best to just call the broker afterwards. These sort of topics have a very big grey area and I suppose it boils down how you feel.