SCAMMER - Mark Willaims via sa@gmail.co.za

Cycle Factory

Hi All Retailers

We were asked via email to quote a "client" (Mark Williams) on a XTR 1x11 groupset. But every time I tried calling the number on the gents email, it just rang, but as soon as I emailed him, he'd be quick to reply. He accepted the quote (R19000) & said he's "account dept" would be making payment & forwarding POP.

A email with a doctored ABSA POP was forwarded to us from sa@gmail.co.za (company - SOUTHERN AMBITION) for R89548,50.

Moments later the phone rang and Mr Micheal Williams (a African gentlemen) was on the line, explaining that he's Accounts Dept had made a payment error & over paid us.

We explained that we'd like too assist but would need he's companies VAT registration details & copy of his ID.......the phone went dead.....THE END !

Great news that you where on the ball.

I hope that this idiot didn't actually do a deposit of a stolen of modified cheque into your guys bank account, as your bank is then going to hit you with a number fees for bouncing this cheque.

Dunno so much about JZ, Ive got the same friggin name! May need to change my tag to "NotNigerianScammer" ;-) Dunno how to do emoticons...

Oh man that's bad luck, hahaha

Hi All Retailers

We were asked via email to quote a "client" (Mark Williams) on a XTR 1x11 groupset. But every time I tried calling the number on the gents email, it just rang, but as soon as I emailed him, he'd be quick to reply. He accepted the quote (R19000) & said he's "account dept" would be making payment & forwarding POP.

A email with a doctored ABSA POP was forwarded to us from sa@gmail.co.za (company - SOUTHERN AMBITION) for R89548,50.

Moments later the phone rang and Mr Micheal Williams (a African gentlemen) was on the line, explaining that he's Accounts Dept had made a payment error & over paid us.

We explained that we'd like too assist but would need he's companies VAT registration details & copy of his ID.......the phone went dead.....THE END !

The overpaid you and can you pay me back scam is so common and is used in every industry including mine (medical proffesional )

Well spotted..

If only these guys could be more easily caught.

On "Carbonite" a PC components buy and sell forum a guy bought and sold a couple of cheap components to build a marketplace rep a couple of years ago, then went to sell a R9k graphics card @ R5k to a couple of guys, me included.

He then "died" in an unfortunate car crash while going to the post office to send the card and this was posted on Carbonite by a "friend" of his..

Anyway, he had about R50 000 worth of collective scam money against him and we could only nail him once all came to the fro, as no one could nail R5000 scams by themselves due to the cost..

Luckily all forums has police members on them who easily becomes agitated.. :D

Well spotted..

If only these guys could be more easily caught.

On "Carbonite" a PC components buy and sell forum a guy bought and sold a couple of cheap components to build a marketplace rep a couple of years ago, then went to sell a R9k graphics card @ R5k to a couple of guys, me included.

He then "died" in an unfortunate car crash while going to the post office to send the card and this was posted on Carbonite by a "friend" of his..

Anyway, he had about R50 000 worth of collective scam money against him and we could only nail him once all came to the fro, as no one could nail R5000 scams by themselves due to the cost..

Luckily all forums has police members on them who easily becomes agitated.. :D

Did they manage to catch the guy?

Did they manage to catch the guy?

Yup.

I even found out exactly where he lived and drove there and confronted him in front of his parents :)

We didn't get all our money back, but each got about 80% of what he lost.

This guy simply used his actual bank account for deposit etc, one would have thought it must be easy to catch him if he doesn't deal with bank accounts that gets opened and closed etc, but he terrorized the forum for a couple of years..

Was actually REALLY difficult to nail the guy. Original posts have been deleted - but here's one of the last ones:

http://carbonite.co.za/f3/attention-powerplay-nixtrix-13339/?highlight=scam

He actually scammed people again after we caught him!

You only realise how hard it is to actually nail a fraudster down when you have to try, even if you have all their info including address and ID number it's a minefield, never mind if they are on the other side of the country.