Training in winter

So this year I've tried as much as possible to carry my training through winter. The only problem is I keep getting sick.

I went for a ride Saturday morning and now I'm flat out in bed with flu. This is the 3rd time I've picked up the flu this winter, and all of them have come after a ride.

My question really is, how do you guys manage to keep training without getting sick?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this year I've tried as much as possible to carry my training through winter. The only problem is I keep getting sick.

I went for a ride Saturday morning and now I'm flat out in bed with flu. This is the 3rd time I've picked up the flu this winter, and all of them have come after a ride.

My question really is, how do you guys manage to keep training without getting sick?

I stay away from kids and snotty noses! But perhaps you are not eating right and getting what you need or have some stress in your life and your immune system is taking a knock?

Don't go out in the cold..... 3 months of indoor trainer.... that's the only way I manage not to get sick!! I hate winter!

take a good multivitamin - I ride every Tuesday and Thursday morning in winter, from 5:20-7:20, still dark most of the way and we have had a few -3deg rides.. haven't battled with Flu from the riding..

I commuted 3 times a week through winter - managed to stay healthy. Using a buff to keep the cold wind out of my ears.

Don't go out in the cold..... 3 months of indoor trainer.... that's the only way I manage not to get sick!! I hate winter!

Jason, k*k ou, dis omdat jy nie winterkit aantrek nie. Jinne ek het jou al in die koue sien ry met nie eers handskoene aan nie

I stay away from kids and snotty noses! But perhaps you are not eating right and getting what you need or have some stress in your life and your immune system is taking a knock?

i have a two year old son. There's no hiding from him lol.

Okay so lots of vitamin c. Will get me a multivitamin when I'm healthy again.

I stay away from kids and snotty noses! But perhaps you are not eating right and getting what you need or have some stress in your life and your immune system is taking a knock?

i do have a bit of stress in my life at the moment but that's why I enjoy cycling. When I'm on the bike, I don't think about anything stressful.

Bub'

Watch out for the vulnerable few hours after training when the immune system is suppressed:

Keep warm

Avoid people

Wash your hands lots especially when in public places

Mix hard rides with easy rides

Its staying indoors that make u sick...everyone stays indoors WITH all their bugs and viruses

I also used to get several bouts of flu during winter but since I started taking Spirulina (3 tabs in the morning and 3 tabs at night time) plus a 1000mg vit C in the morning and 500mg in the evening, i do not get ill.

If you flat on your back now you probably already had the flu bug in your system before Saturdays ride...

You not going to catch flu from your bike, dress properly, don't shake hands / kiss your riding partners, keep your hands to yourself etc...avoid contacting public surfaces...don't rub your eyes / nose

Archived