Sani2C riders banned after reporting flasher

Sidmouth

a lone women running early in the morning on a stretch of road past the howick rubbish dump is very different scenario to a team based mass participation event

Lighthouse to Lighthouse a couple of years back a woman rider was dragged into the bushes for an attempted rape - she got away luckily.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FG needs to step up and tell his side of the story and stop posting snotty social media posts! Safety of cyclists is a concern, especially for woman.  And don't tell me nothing can be done about the local community. If they are so involved and benefit so much then this little issue of kids and flashers can be sorted in a flash! 

When a generator that was there for the benefit of the local community was stolen, the local pastor said to me, "... don't worry, some things you pray about and some things you just handle!"  well, the stolen generator was back in less than 2 hours!

To spew the riot act at riders is unfair when you don't enforce it on the local beneficiaries! 

Power of prayer!

:w00t:

or the minister knew who the perp was

Oh ye of little faith

I WOULD SAY IT WAS ESCAPEE,,but she doesnt fit the criteria

My partner put me in the hurt box so I have no recollection of day 2 and 3

A response from FG would be nice at this point. I don't believe he normally has anything but the best intentions, but maybe he just had a bad day.

I get the impression that this was the first year that Sani2C was heavily criticised - clothing issues, congestion, Supergroup hogging trails and safety concerns.

FG seems to have responded defensively to the criticism (the very odd newsletter, cryptic twitter posts about entitlement and banning 2 riders who probably started annoying him). This is an understandable human response, I also take criticism very personally but it's probably not how best to handle the situation.

Sometimes the event gets bigger than the person organising it can deal with, that's when it's time to call on a professional marketing / events company to handle just these PR issues.

getting the feeling that most mtb races are now a race for cash...

It all comes crashing down when something serious happens at one of there event, over 280km it very hard to secure every meter on the track.

SO glad I did my S2C's before it turned into a circus .

Yeah, I don't think I will be queuing up to do this event, seems like way too much drama of late.

not to make light of the situation but on the one van gaalens 24 hour an old granny flashed me in the woods late at night,,, :blink:  :blink:  :blink: emotionally scared for life,, i couldnt sleep after that i suppose she helped me in the end :whistling:

I get the impression that this was the first year that Sani2C was heavily criticised - clothing issues, congestion, Supergroup hogging trails and safety concerns.

FG seems to have responded defensively to the criticism (the very odd newsletter, cryptic twitter posts about entitlement and banning 2 riders who probably started annoying him). This is an understandable human response, I also take criticism very personally but it's probably not how best to handle the situation.

Sometimes the event gets bigger than the person organising it can deal with, that's when it's time to call on a professional marketing / events company to handle just these PR issues.

it is the first year of major criticism...thing is..I have met FG and he's a fair decent bloke..he has his faults and I have heard some things about how he has organised the event that p me off a bit...but overall based upon what I know about him - I know there is a much bigger story here. 

We can all speculate what has happened and what he has or has not done as a result of these rather serious and dangerous incidents..but until we hear his side of the story thats all it is...speculaton

on a side note - the whole sensationalist...tycoon in his helicopter thing...so what...he spotted a gap 11 years ago....worked his arse off and now runs three extremely successful stage races...good on him...we all secretly wish that was us!

I didn't realise he used a chopper during the race, but the tone of the article peed me off. never done sani2c or imana, both on the bucketlist i suppose.

In my search for farmer glen's twitter account - I came upon his aussie doppelganger. I don't want to make a joke of the issue, but the article started it.

here is down under farmer glenn

http://www.quityawingin.com.au/ - yes, that is his real address!

http://www.quityawingin.com.au/uploads/1/5/6/5/15655326/2753970.jpg?103

Some people want a certain a reaction to their complaints, and when they don't get it they throw toys. The "I want to speak to the manager" or "do you know who I know" types......

I will put 20 buck on it that it was their reaction to not getting the reaction that they wanted that caused Farmer Glen to react in the way he did.

Some people want a certain a reaction to their complaints, and when they don't get it they throw toys. The "I want to speak to the manager" or "do you know who I know" types......

I will put 20 buck on it that it was their reaction to not getting the reaction that they wanted that caused Farmer Glen to react in the way he did.

http://blog.similarweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/speak-to-a-manager-haircut.jpg

http://blog.similarweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/speak-to-a-manager-haircut.jpg

Oh geez, that's so spot on. Never knew it was an actual look until now.

Yep.

OK now I also want to share my high value opinion that is coincidentally the correct way of viewing this situation and life in general: (I'm kidding, really)

Seriously though

I understand rape and assault and ladies alone in the bush makes for the stuff of nightmares and ruined lives - I pray none of us ever experience this. All I'm saying is, everyday I go MTBing with my expensive bicycle - I know and accept the risks I'm exposing myself to. FG and crew, as far as I know, do all they can to make it safe as possible and REASONABLE for us. This IS Africa, I LOVE Africa, and I CHOOSE to cycle in the bush exposed to Lions, sharks and criminals (and nudists).

I expect FG to give me a safe route from Underberg to Scotties.

I DON'T (CAN'T) expect FG to stand with his shotgun around every corner.

I live in Sandton, another man lives in the bush - we have different views on entitlement and morality. If he is too much of a risk to me, I won't cycle past his front door.

Archived