ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first time I have actually put a target for myself and trained towards it. Normally I decide a week or so ahead of time what I would like to do and go for it. This time however I have actually started doing stuff like interval training and hill repeats. Worked out what my training paces should be and tried sticking to it. So ja, I would be very disappointed if I don’t make the sub3:30.

Since starting to train properly again I have done very few races, the Eastern’s 15km @ 4:21/km followed by the Cape Town Festival of Running 50km @ 6:00/km (used as long run training). I then used the John Korasie 30km @ 4:49/km and this weekend’s West Coast half marathon at 4:19/km as fitness gauges. Done a few tempo long runs at 5:15/km the longest being 34km’s and the rest of my long runs at 5:30 to 5:44/km. So ja, I feel confident about reaching my target but also have a heavy case of the nerves just thinking about it. Guess we’ll see in 13 days time [emoji30]

If we see each other at the race, I'll do my best to keep you motivated but only if it's necessary. I'll be happy with sub 3h40 but I'm only thinking sub 3h30.

I'm confused...CT marathon will not have water points? Why you got worried about carrying water?

They will have water, I'm just trying to avoid having to take water from the water points and save a little time.

If we see each other at the race, I'll do my best to keep you motivated but only if it's necessary. I'll be happy with sub 3h40 but I'm only thinking sub 3h30.

No difference between sub 3:30 and sub 3:40 in terms of Comrades seeding. Only at Two Oceans so depending on what you want to do it might influence your planning. Waiting for our seedings to come through, hopefully at least B batch.

I reckon an extra kg of weight over 42.2km will slow you down more

The probability is high but I'm gonna toss it if necessary. Since I'm from Cpt, I will know many people along the route so I can just leave it with someone. I'm testing it at the moment to see by how much it really slows me down, if it's minimal, I'll keep it.

No difference between sub 3:30 and sub 3:40 in terms of Comrades seeding. Only at Two Oceans so depending on what you want to do it might influence your planning. Waiting for our seedings to come through, hopefully at least B batch.

I'm aware of that, hence dipping under 3h40 is essential for my Comrades qualification.

Has anyone ever had Strava automatically add a random person to your run? Was looking at my run from this morning and there's this random oke who Strava added to my run, who happened to run on the same path as me and we did in fact run 'together' for a bit.

So much for privacy controls.

Strava tagged me running with another girl once, at 4 in the morning. Not awkward at all. But I run a quite busy loop and its bound to happen.

I'm not as paraat for CTM with major targets and all. My last long run was on... Easter weekend. Will just wing it.

Got a lesson on the bike leg of the Dirty Double on the weekend how quickly things can go wrong! (Well, it started on the Trail run leg...) ​A back spasm from h3ll after some slipping and sliding on the trail run. 10k into the bike ride it just grabbed. Interesting day from there on in. 

Phantom niggles starting, suddenly everything you don't want starts to play with your mind. Come on race day.

Edited by tjommies3

But my fragile male ego also thinks that running a road race with a vest is a bit dorky. Would like to be as light and unrestricted as possible. 

Imagine when you see the pictures and realise you ran the whole way with your vest on back to front...  :blush:  :clap:

post-182-0-55670900-1567508741_thumb.jpg

:w00t:

Now that's one from the archives!

Tell me about it.... when nothing hurt for long and you could still eat awful awfull's without putting on weight

Edited by SwissVan

To all the toppies on here: how did you guys run pre-GPS watches and HR monitors? 

Did you measure out distances in the car, use landmarks for split times, go by 'feel', not blow your heart? 

Damn, I feel like such a millennial typing this, but it is unthinkable to me to go for a run and not have your distance, split times and HR being tracked.