ScottCM

I would've been so pissed if I was late because of damn traffic. But I guess that's part of life. But well done on your race as well as your wife's time :thumbup:  They syncing problem is a world wide issue. Mine also couldn't sync since Saturday. But saw on their website it will be fixed within 24h.

I was wondering why my runs were not syncing, glad to hear it will be getting fixed

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering why my runs were not syncing, glad to hear it will be getting fixed

Yip, it should be working fine now...

ok so i finished my first half, Om di Dam with little to no training in the last 6 weeks due to illness,  only did a n 8km half run half die last Monday.

very pleased to say i actually finished the race, time not great but for my first half and the longest run i have ever done i am pleased. now to enter my next!!

post-19041-0-05379700-1490003678_thumb.jpg

Couldn't agree more Andrew!! 

My goals for the race was to feel good and not nauseous. Don't worry about the time, just complete the distance and to enjoy the race.

My race summed up: Hottest Om die Dam to date, I didn't get nauseous :clap:  I survived the distance!! 

The start was chaotic. It took us 4 minutes to get over the starting mat. I started with 2 of my club mates, one was doing her first ultra. We stayed together for 18kms. She was looking good so I chased her away and I had to do a loo stop. I probably ran a minute and a half slower than my normal ultra-marathon pace. I didn't feel sick at all and for the first time in almost a year and a half, I enjoyed running again, even if it was seriously hot (I can't explain the heat without swearing) and I was slow. I chatted with fellow runners, tried to get people walking before a waterpoint to run with me to the waterpoint. I just enjoyed the race without any time pressures. 

Saartjies was pure torture. I walked the whole hill and chatted and laughed away. 

My wheels came off just after Jasmyn (10km to go). No nausea, the distance just got to me... The furthest I have run this year was 26km... so 50km felt very far. I have never seen so many runners getting sick and lying under trees. I handed out my extra water sachets.  The last 3 kilometers felt like a half marathon. I got so excited to see the last waterpoint as I thought it was the finish...O, no still 1 km to go... And then looking at my watch the finish was 200 meters further. I broke my own rule not to walk in the last kilometer.

I went over the finish line in a time of 5:45 (mat to mat) My worst ODD time... but I couldn't be happier. I accomplished my goals for the day, and not to feel sick was the best feeling in the world. I needed this race to mentally convince myself that I can still do this. 

I rewarded myself with a "death by chocolate" ice cream  :blush: (and a couple of ciders...) 

Well done Hacc, good job on the run and not getting nausea in that heat is good form... lots of people struggled to get the hydration levels right. 

Onwards and upwards  :thumbup:

Unfortunatelly I couldn't finish the Addo 100 Miler this year (161km). I started suffering from nausea very early on, from say 20km in. This was on the Friday and it was already pretty warm. The night went ok and I hoped that like last year when the sun comes up I'll be a new man and nail it to the finish. Nausea never went away and had to stop every few kilos for dry heave and empty my stomach a bit. I eventually arrived at checkpoint 11 @ 96km around 11am on Saturday, dehydrated and still naar, the temperatures now past 40 degrees. I left there 30 minutes later after a shoe change and some sunblock. Next up was arguably one of the hardest parts of the course, hectic hills in hectic heat. At 102.6km, my body was done. I was fit enough and strong enough, but the conditions had me at the wrong time of the day at the wrong spot on the route. I sat down, as I had done plenty times in the previous 80km or so. 15 minutes later I heard a quad coming down the hill from the next checkpoint. It was the medic. He highly suggested I call it quits. I protested, but they had final say. 20 minutes later, at the next checkpoint, it took 3 towels dipped in ice-water to drop my temperature. I'll admit, I shed a few tears. Quitting isn't me. As as sat at the checkpoint the marshals started packing up camp. They had to wear gloves as the poles and the canvas was extremely hot. I later heard that on the hill where the medic called my race, temperatures of 50 degrees were measured. It was out of this world hot.

I finished the 100 Miler last year, and I will again next year.

Edited by TheJ

Unfortunatelly I couldn't finish the Addo 100 Miler this year (161km). I started suffering from nausea very early on, from say 20km in. This was on the Friday and it was already pretty warm. The night went ok and I hoped that like last year when the sun comes up I'll be a new man and nail it to the finish. Nausea never went away and had to stop every few kilos for dry heave and empty my stomach a bit. I eventually arrived at checkpoint 11 @ 96km around 11am on Saturday, dehydrated and still naar, the temperatures now past 40 degrees. I left there 30 minutes later after a shoe change and some sunblock. Next up was arguably one of the hardest parts of the course, hectic hills in hectic heat. At 102.6km, my body was done. I was fit enough and strong enough, but the conditions had me at the wrong time of the day at the wrong spot on the route. I sat down, as I had done plenty times in the previous 80km or so. 15 minutes later I heard a quad coming down the hill from the next checkpoint. It was the medic. He highly suggested I call it quits. I protested, but they had final say. 20 minutes later, at the next checkpoint, it took 3 towels dipped in ice-water to drop my temperature. I'll admit, I shed a few tears. Quitting isn't me. As as sat at the checkpoint the marshals started packing up camp. They had to wear gloves as the poles and the canvas was extremely hot. I later heard that on the hill where the medic called my race, temperatures of 50 degrees were measured. It was out of this world hot.

Wow! This sounds intense! 50 degrees is disgustingly hot, no wonder the medics made that call. I am sorry that you didn't finish- you must've felt so many things. I am sure next year you will smash it!

Unfortunatelly I couldn't finish the Addo 100 Miler this year (161km). I started suffering from nausea very early on, from say 20km in. This was on the Friday and it was already pretty warm. The night went ok and I hoped that like last year when the sun comes up I'll be a new man and nail it to the finish. Nausea never went away and had to stop every few kilos for dry heave and empty my stomach a bit. I eventually arrived at checkpoint 11 @ 96km around 11am on Saturday, dehydrated and still naar, the temperatures now past 40 degrees. I left there 30 minutes later after a shoe change and some sunblock. Next up was arguably one of the hardest parts of the course, hectic hills in hectic heat. At 102.6km, my body was done. I was fit enough and strong enough, but the conditions had me at the wrong time of the day at the wrong spot on the route. I sat down, as I had done plenty times in the previous 80km or so. 15 minutes later I heard a quad coming down the hill from the next checkpoint. It was the medic. He highly suggested I call it quits. I protested, but they had final say. 20 minutes later, at the next checkpoint, it took 3 towels dipped in ice-water to drop my temperature. I'll admit, I shed a few tears. Quitting isn't me. As as sat at the checkpoint the marshals started packing up camp. They had to wear gloves as the poles and the canvas was extremely hot. I later heard that on the hill where the medic called my race, temperatures of 50 degrees were measured. It was out of this world hot.

Don't worry, these things happen for a reason. I am also in for next years Addo. Want a new challenge, and this sounds like a real Challenge.

Pushing as far as you did sounds like a feat in itself. Well done. 

Well done to all the ODD runners and happy birthday stretch....

Stretch so where did u run while in GP?

Well done to all the ODD runners and happy birthday stretch....

Stretch so where did u run while in GP?

thanks

Blairgowrie/Linden

Blairgowrie and Barkston rd are bastards!

altitude doesn't help either!

Woke up this morning and it feels like I am starting to get a cold. I cant afford to miss a couple of days of training. These are the important months of Comrades training. Any good meds I can take to boost my immune system and keep it healthy. I started taking airmune, and will get myself a B12 Shot this morning.

Woke up this morning and it feels like I am starting to get a cold. I cant afford to miss a couple of days of training. These are the important months of Comrades training. Any good meds I can take to boost my immune system and keep it healthy. I started taking airmune, and will get myself a B12 Shot this morning.

Zinc, do some reading, but one of the best supplements to reduce the severity and duration of colds.