ScottCM

So who is doing which ultra in March and April?

No ultra for me in March but will be doing the Goldi Standerton Marathon on the 21st.

April I'm doing Irene ultra and then the Robor ultra. Won't be "racing" any of them just using them as long training runs.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm doing my first Ultra this year, OMTOM. Only a few weeks out and already gasping for air.

Clinging onto confidence from Saturday's "flat" Diamond marathon and reading up everything about OMTOM and how to pace oneself.

I'm doing my first Ultra this year, OMTOM. Only a few weeks out and already gasping for air.

Clinging onto confidence from Saturday's "flat" Diamond marathon and reading up everything about OMTOM and how to pace oneself.

Youtube Ross Tucker/Two oceans videos.   He has a few nice ones.   Unfortunately the Adidas detail ones, showing the route and driving the route on a split screen,  is removed from youtube...  Luckily I downloaded them before the removal. 

Edit: It looks like he uploaded his own version of it!

Some appetiser.  Comrades is in a league of it's own, but this race is special!!!

Edited by Jackes

No ultra for me in March but will be doing the Goldi Standerton Marathon on the 21st.

April I'm doing Irene ultra and then the Robor ultra. Won't be "racing" any of them just using them as long training runs.

Doing the first part of the Lady Grey Park run as the first stage of Wartrail Challenge next weekend.

Then in April is is X-Berg, still not sure what route I will us or what ration cycling to running I will do for X-berg but at this stage there is atleast 1X 50km run leg and definitely another 30km run, just the bits inbetween to think about now

I did my first Oceans Ultra last year. I was preached not to go hard. Those first 30k's can be done fast, but it will bite you. I listened. And... I guess it also depends on your aims. I just wanted to finish and enjoy it. 

So I cruised and chatted till Chappies, had legs for Chappies, took it easy down, cruised through Houtbaai, took Constantia Nek as it came, running where I could. And still those last couple of k's started getting the weirdest cramps at the sides of my ankles - but I suspect this was due to the cambered section after the Nek.

Take it easy and enjoy it. There'll never be another first!

Oh, on a seperate note. I skipped my run this morning. I'll skip my planned return to swimming this evening. Some weird sinus and a fiery throat since yesterday.  :cursing: At least now and now in a couple of weeks' time! 

Oh, on a seperate note. I skipped my run this morning. I'll skip my planned return to swimming this evening. Some weird sinus and a fiery throat since yesterday.  :cursing: At least now and now in a couple of weeks' time! 

Try some honey and cinnamon for your throat

My training in last week was just over 50km with a pace of 4'53". By tonight I should have close to 50km for this week, with a plan to run a 32km on Sunday. The average pace for this week was intended to be slower(currently 5'32") than last week and so far it has been but this leads to the following question. In all my runs for these 2 weeks I have been feeling really good, I only have Oceans Ultra as my main race, so is it too early to be feeling this good(upping the pace at will and running on consecutive days that I would never have considered before, and oh yes, niggle-free :))? I feel like it may a case of peaking slightly ahead of time.

Oh, on a seperate note. I skipped my run this morning. I'll skip my planned return to swimming this evening. Some weird sinus and a fiery throat since yesterday. :cursing: At least now and now in a couple of weeks' time!

Take a nice steady 20 - 30 minute walk instead

Good luck

I have run Om Die Dam 50km and Two Oceans two weeks apart in 2016. For me it didn't work, my legs felt tired from the start at Two Oceans. 

Unfortunately, I am doing the same again this year... Om Die Dam and Oceans two weeks apart and then Loskop 3 weeks after Oceans. I am not aiming for any special times this year and see them all as training runs. I am hoping for a good Loskop.

The ultra month has arrived! I am a little bit freaked out about Om Die Dam, I suffered on Sunday on the 32km... just thinking about another 18km makes my stomach turn. I truly hope the reverse route is going to be easier, but then again it is an ultra and the wheels always come off at 42km, it doesn't matter what the profile looks like...

Just OMTOM in March for us. Then on April 1 the trail running season starts, until End of September. But we will only start training on the 4th of April when we will be back from the Cape.

Training is going okayish. Defintely a niggle here and there that I'm still trying to shake, most notably my left calf that is a bit tender and tight - getting night cramps as well. I'm into my second peak week of ~85km/week and will start tapering next week. I should get to Oceans with 750km+ on the legs from January. But as I've seen from my 3 previous attempts anything can happen on the day.

Had an early appointment  before work with the physio this morning to asses the progress getting rid the Plantar Faciitis.

Some serious pressing, rolling and needling happened. :thumbdown:   

I must be a "sissy". Not  pleasant to visit the physio.

Back at work I was walking like I had the mother of all gout attacks.

My staff and even some of my clients had good time teasing and ripping me.  :D

Hope to be back to running soon.  

Edited by IH8MUD

Had an early appointment before work with the physio this morning to asses the progress getting rid the Plantar Faciitis.

Some serious pressing, rolling and needling happened. :thumbdown:

I must be a "sissy". Not pleasant to visit the physio.m.

I’ll much rather go to the dentist. But Im a big fan of dry needling, and my body always react very positive to treatment. Last week I had needles in my calves, that was by far the most painful spot I ever had dry needling.

Plan is to race Two Oceans in March, and a chilled Loskop in April

Comrades Route tester 60km early May, and I'm done...

Apart from those 3 nothing more over 36kms in a single run..

I skipped ODD this year and decided to do Arthur Cresswell in the first week of April. Then I realised I need an extra ultra in my Comrades training schedule and this weekend is the only reasonable time for it. I'm going to do the dreaded solo ultra training run on Sunday (hint hint if anyone else wants to join me). My brain is already trying to convince me that 43km technically qualifies as an ultra. 

I skipped ODD this year and decided to do Arthur Cresswell in the first week of April. Then I realised I need an extra ultra in my Comrades training schedule and this weekend is the only reasonable time for it. I'm going to do the dreaded solo ultra training run on Sunday (hint hint if anyone else wants to join me). My brain is already trying to convince me that 43km technically qualifies as an ultra.

You don't have to do an ultra! My second comrades I was injured for Arthur cresswell... So only did a qualifying Marathon and a solo training marathon...