ScottCM

Way above my budget, I am a cyclist, not a runner! I have a bet with a friend that I can do the local parkrun under 18 minutes, so this will be a once of training program. I cant fork out that amount for running.

As a cyclist you should be used to Power  :whistling:

Polar Vantage, then you can train with power without any extra sensors (foot pod).

Ja i know it probably costs more than you would like to spend.

TBH, if possible you should look at the same brand that you use for your cycling.

Keep it all on one platform i.e. Garmin, Polar or whatever

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Way above my budget, I am a cyclist, not a runner! I have a bet with a friend that I can do the local parkrun under 18 minutes, so this will be a once of training program. I cant fork out that amount for running.

It would be cheaper to join a local running club and train with them on their track days. Use their elite runners for pace and track timer for guidance.

You don't need a training gadget to increase speed. Just good old fashioned hard track work and a fortnightly timetrial.

Hi guys, can someone please assist me. Does Suunto ambit 2 heart rate monitor work with ant+? Is it a decent watch? I need a watch that will show me pace distance and time o the same screen all at once. Will it be a good one to start of with. I can get one for a good price. Thanks

The Ambit 2 uses ANT - which is different to ANT+

So your garmin strap should work with the Suunto, but the Suunto strap won't work with the garmin.

DC Rainmaker: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/04/suunto-ambit2-review.html

Note that the Suunto strap included is NOT ANT+.  Meaning the strap included is not compatible with any ANT+ devices you may have, instead, only working with other Suunto devices over a proprietary variant of ANT.  That said however, if you do have an ANT+ strap (say you’re converting from being a Garmin/Timex/etc…. user), then that willwork with the Ambit lineup (all Ambits).  Good deal, huh?

I'll wade in here a little late. 

If you are training for a once off 5k as fast as you can and have got your cycling fitness (you are a sprinter). HR isn't going to help your program, most of your sessions should be speed/interval work which will be short and intense in nature. Your HR will lag behind your effort, they only time it might be helpful is letting you know when you have sufficiently recovered to start your next interval. However very few generic programs work off HR number to indicate when to start your next effort, most work on a time basis.

Save your cash if your aren't going to use it beyond this project. Would get more benefit from getting VF 4%'s, although still above your budget. You can get the new Zoom Fly flyknit for R2k at the moment.

I'm looking at new Trail shoes as well and currently it will be between the NB Summit KOM or the Saucony Peregrine (with Brooks Cascadia as a outside one).

What bothers me a bit is that I saw two pairs of Saucony Peregrines at races recently that had tears on the front uppers.   Was this just a coincidence or do they have this issue as well, anybody?

I and a few of my friends has only been happy with NB thusfar, but I have heard good things about the Peregrines so I want to look at them as well.   If they have a quality issue it will be NB again.

What do you currently run in - and why switch? 

​But to answer the question regarding the Peregrines - I have an old pair of Peregrine 5's which is still working fine and no tears after plenty of abuse. But the 5's did actually have some issues - a buddy of mine also had his tear. But many others did not. I also have a newer pair of 8's now and thusfar they're working just fine for me. 

Another friend has just gotten some NB which he gave some positive feedback on. And a couple of the guys and girls actually switched to... I think it's North Face? for trail shoes.

I'll wade in here a little late. 

If you are training for a once off 5k as fast as you can and have got your cycling fitness (you are a sprinter). HR isn't going to help your program, most of your sessions should be speed/interval work which will be short and intense in nature. Your HR will lag behind your effort, they only time it might be helpful is letting you know when you have sufficiently recovered to start your next interval. However very few generic programs work off HR number to indicate when to start your next effort, most work on a time basis.

Save your cash if your aren't going to use it beyond this project. Would get more benefit from getting VF 4%'s, although still above your budget. You can get the new Zoom Fly flyknit for R2k at the moment.

This will also depend on Breezers running history.

As we all know... running is not for sissies (not meant literally) and requires a good bit of running specific fitness and adaption BEFORE you start throwing in speed work or high intensity training.

Otherwise the risk of injury at some stage will be high

Where is the Zoom Fly available for 2k? I agree, these shoes are just amazing. I go easily 15 to 20s a km faster at the same perceived effort. And they are way more comfortable than Hoka????

You runny people, any advice on an affordable wireless bluetooth headphones / earbuds option to wog outside and on treadmill with? 

Sound quality doesn't have to be amazing but I'd like to not be able to hear myself dying. 

*affordable - i don't want to be spending thousands 

I am the guy that always said that I only run when something is chasing me, and that I am big enough that nothing chases me.... 

One of my friends gave up cycling and is only running now. While braaiing he challenged me to do the two oceans 2020. I can not decline a challenge from a friend. 

Is it enough time to prepare? I almost died after running 4ks the other day!!

Guess one should start on flats? Easy pace till your legs and joints are stronger? 

You runny people, any advice on an affordable wireless bluetooth headphones / earbuds option to wog outside and on treadmill with?

Sound quality doesn't have to be amazing but I'd like to not be able to hear myself dying.

*affordable - i don't want to be spending thousands

Look at the Anker range that amazon sell... I'm not sure if you can get then there though.

Be careful about running outside with earphones though

I am the guy that always said that I only run when something is chasing me, and that I am big enough that nothing chases me....

One of my friends gave up cycling and is only running now. While braaiing he challenged me to do the two oceans 2020. I can not decline a challenge from a friend.

Guess one should start on flats? Easy pace till your legs and joints are stronger?

2020.. More than enough... Just start slowly and only increase by 10% week on week. I would start with a couch to ten and then work forward from that

This is quite doable. I went from zero to Two Oceans in 1 year. 

I would suggest you start with a 10km training program. Frosty has a good one to follow.

Thanks, let me have a look and get the ball rolling. 

Who knows maybe I will join you guys for the comrades one day! 

Will I benefit from doing park runs?   

Look at the Anker range that amazon sell... I'm not sure if you can get then there though.

Be careful about running outside with earphones though

Thanks Stretchy. my mum is in Hong kong right now so want to try get something via her. 

until i get my distances up I'm only jogging around the neighbourhood *boomed off and minimal cars