ScottCM

What is good handheld water bottles or flasks to go for that won't break the bank either?

I haven't come across anything perfect yet. Often I'll just reuse Energade bottles a few times before chucking them out. The Camelbak Podium Chill is probably my favourite but, yeah, they are expensive. I saw that Cape Union had something that looks like a copy of those at a much lower price. I can't vouch for them but I will pick one up and give it a try soon. Don't waste your time on any of the Dischem (Biogen) cheapos, those things leak like crazy after a few washes. I currently only use those for hill repeats so I can stash them on the side of the road without feeling any trauma if someone steals them.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't come across anything perfect yet. Often I'll just reuse Energade bottles a few times before chucking them out. The Camelbak Podium Chill is probably my favourite but, yeah, they are expensive. I saw that Cape Union had something that looks like a copy of those at a much lower price. I can't vouch for them but I will pick one up and give it a try soon. Don't waste your time on any of the Dischem (Biogen) cheapos, those things leak like crazy after a few washes. I currently only use those for hill repeats so I can stash them on the side of the road without feeling any trauma if someone steals them.

I am currently on the new 500ml Oros bottles, they work nicely as well.  :clap:     I was however thinking about something that you don't have to hold on to the whole time, something like this expensive example...

https://www.shopfuelbelt.co.za/Soft-Flask-Bottle-p125458817

Anybody here using Hoka's Speed goat or Torrent?

My Slab Sense shoes is nearing the end of their lifespan, and I need to buy new shoes before the Mac Mac 100Miler. At the Western States and Leadville 100milers, most of the top runners run in Hokas. So they cant be that bad.

I raced last year in Speedgoat 2's for trail. These are not fast shoes in my opinion but they are good far shoes. That being said I did have a few good PB's in them.

I raced in SLAB sense Ultra's for few years and they are good shoes, hard light and supportive. The Hoka's are a bit more forgiving and a bit easier on the feet IMO. 

My 2c if you have done the work you can put on shoes to match your feet from most of the top brands and run well in them. I Like the Hoka's especially the price and the fact they don't get the 'salomon tear' after 300km.

I am currently on the new 500ml Oros bottles, they work nicely as well.  :clap:     I was however thinking about something that you don't have to hold on to the whole time, something like this expensive example...

I know this doesn't help you much, but my wife has one of these, from the states. Nathan Sports. You just jam your hand between the soft stretchy foam part and the bottle, kind of holds itself in your hand.

post-90313-0-59171200-1546933319_thumb.png

and the fact they don't get the 'salomon tear' after 300km.

I'm looking at new Trail shoes as well and currently it will be between the NB Summit KOM or the Saucony Peregrine (with Brooks Cascadia as a outside one).

What bothers me a bit is that I saw two pairs of Saucony Peregrines at races recently that had tears on the front uppers.   Was this just a coincidence or do they have this issue as well, anybody?

I and a few of my friends has only been happy with NB thusfar, but I have heard good things about the Peregrines so I want to look at them as well.   If they have a quality issue it will be NB again.

Yeah, I'm considering one of those for trails (but not at that price). I think I saw something similar at Sportsmans in the R299 range. The quality looked good as well.

I know this doesn't help you much, but my wife has one of these, from the states. Nathan Sports. You just jam your hand between the soft stretchy foam part and the bottle, kind of holds itself in your hand.

Exactly what I was looking for, but I see you will have to get the Nathan from there.

Yeah, I'm considering one of those for trails (but not at that price). I think I saw something similar at Sportsmans in the R299 range. The quality looked good as well.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/osprey-duro-handheld-250ml/4310

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/fuelbelt-enduro-fuel-hand-held/4310

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/fuelbelt-hydra-fuel-hand-held-waterbottle/4310

I think I might just try this, which I can get for R260.  It is a 500ml soft flask as well.

https://www.takealot.com/aonijie-soft-flaskholder-with-soft-flask/PLID52292620?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx86IuMfd3wIVorztCh355QPCEAQYASABEgIuhvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&colour_variant=Blue

Edited by Jackes

Exactly what I was looking for, but I see you will have to get the Nathan from there.

I brought in a few of the Anojie soft flasks for my running pack a while back and I've been happy with their quality. I think Raidlight uses the exact same bottle and rebrands it. So I'll order some of these and give them a test. I'll let you know when they land and if they're any good.

post-63043-0-09946200-1546934055_thumb.png

I brought in a few of the Anojie soft flasks for my running pack a while back and I've been happy with their quality. I think Raidlight uses the exact same bottle and rebrands it. So I'll order some of these and give them a test. I'll let you know when they land and if they're any good.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-01-08 at 09.51.51.png

Thanks a lot.  Do you think these or the soft flask one like in my link will be better?

Thanks a lot.  Do you think these or the soft flask one like in my link will be better?

Surely you want something more rigid? Won't the soft ones fall out/off your hand once you start drinking from it?

Not sure where to post this but I have a pair of Salomon Wings Pro 2 size 12.5 UK,48 EU,13 USA which have never been on the trail and worn once or twice around the house to get used to them which I cant.

The style is very tight for my feet

Anyone interested R1K and they are yours 

In Glen Marais

post-523-0-07128400-1546937580_thumb.jpg

post-523-0-21414300-1546937610_thumb.jpg

If it works work Ryan Sandes why would it not work for me?   LOL

These ones comes in a holder which looks like it will keep everything more rigid.

https://www.takealot.com/aonijie-soft-flaskholder-with-soft-flask/PLID52292620?colour_variant=Black

I've still got some of the soft flasks, a 350ml and a 600ml. Unfortunately I only got the straw tops and not the nipple (honestly, I couldn't think of another word to describe it) tops otherwise I'd post you one to give it a try.

post-63043-0-03889200-1546938045_thumb.jpg