ScottCM

Fomo got the better of me... I've entered for Om die Dam. Have managed to get accom near the start at least to take that stress away. Now I just need to dodge the trucks on the Pelindaba road and I am golden...

Oh, and maybe start running again :ph34r:

Hahaha same here. Wish it was Two Oceans rather but due to budget constraints Om die Dam it will be.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 29th edition of the Om die Dam Ultra and 21km are officially #SoldOut we are humbled by the faith in our race and look forward to welcoming runners to the best Om die Dam ever!

Edited by Pieter-za

So I've kept it local for next year's marathon and endured the Dublin. Had to look sharp though. All sold out already and is still 11 months away

Entered the GB 24 ultra......seems like a great event and reasonably priced. To put in perspective the Brighton marathon was 78 quid to enter. The GB 24 is 68. Still a lot of loot.

I am fat, hate running so this more of a challenge.

Any hubbers thinking of entering?

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody here using Hoka's Speed goat or Torrent?

My Slab Sense shoes is nearing the end of their lifespan, and I need to buy new shoes before the Mac Mac 100Miler. At the Western States and Leadville 100milers, most of the top runners run in Hokas. So they cant be that bad.

Anybody here using Hoka's Speed goat or Torrent?

My Slab Sense shoes is nearing the end of their lifespan, and I need to buy new shoes before the Mac Mac 100Miler. At the Western States and Leadville 100milers, most of the top runners run in Hokas. So they cant be that bad.

I've actually moved away from Hokas after 2 sets of cliftons and 2 x ATR's. As it turns out although very soft and max cushion, the thickness of the sole made it pretty rigid, and that made my foot kindof roll to the side instead of running straight through the plane/line my toes and feet should be running off. (not sure any of that makes sense...)

For trail I've now trying Altra lone peaks, that toe box is the best thing my duck feet have ever felt!

The Speedgoats fit very similar to the Cliftons. Quite narrow and they run half a size smaller than most other shoes. The cushioning of Hoka is amazing, but on the flip side they just feel dead dead dead. For a long trail run that might be good, but I wont buy Hoka road shoes again.

The problem we have is that there is a very limited selection of trail shoes in SA. My favorite is still Salomon, but the S Labs are just too firm. The Sense rides are much more comfortable. The toeboxes on Altra and Inov8 are just to roomy. I got terrible foot pain from Innov8 because my toes splaid too much.

I've actually moved away from Hokas after 2 sets of cliftons and 2 x ATR's. As it turns out although very soft and max cushion, the thickness of the sole made it pretty rigid, and that made my foot kindof roll to the side instead of running straight through the plane/line my toes and feet should be running off. (not sure any of that makes sense...)

For trail I've now trying Altra lone peaks, that toe box is the best thing my duck feet have ever felt!

I actually did read a review which the guy said that his foot also rolled to the side.

The Speedgoats fit very similar to the Cliftons. Quite narrow and they run half a size smaller than most other shoes. The cushioning of Hoka is amazing, but on the flip side they just feel dead dead dead. For a long trail run that might be good, but I wont buy Hoka road shoes again.

The problem we have is that there is a very limited selection of trail shoes in SA. My favorite is still Salomon, but the S Labs are just too firm. The Sense rides are much more comfortable. The toeboxes on Altra and Inov8 are just to roomy. I got terrible foot pain from Innov8 because my toes splaid too much.

You would get foot pain because your muscles/tendons in your feet need to strengthen.

Like going for a long run after a seriously long layoff, muscles, tendons etc get sore when they aren't strong.

So is the transition to a more natural shaped shoe.

Having grown up barefoot, in 5 fingers and wearing home made huaraches to train/hike I find the Altra range to be absolutely untouchable.

AR world champs with Pack rafts, wet kit, wet wetsuits and up to 30kg on my back climbing mountains in Reunion, no problem. 

I have done Thousands of KM in various Lone Peak and King MT variations with absolutely no discomfort or niggles at all.

Suits me, but like anything, my personal opinion/experience is just that.

If your feet aren't 'strong' or used to doing the hard work, you are a heel striker used to big 10mm drop etc then you probably will struggle and go back to what 'works' for you

Anybody here using Hoka's Speed goat or Torrent?

I've been running in speedgoat 2s and then switched over to speed instincts as they fit my foot a little better. Great shoes and I love them. Done a few 50km trail runs and multi day trail runs (wild series events) and no issues. Bought a pair of Mach for the road races and love them too.

5 months to go!

Argh I don’t know if I’ll make it or not. Have just started running again and am seeing the doc tomorrow to confirm if I can start training properly. There is still more than enough time for the training, just hope I get the go ahead tomorrow [emoji1431]