ScottCM

Hope everyone had a good Easter and ate lots of chocolates. :P

Has anyone here run the Cape Town Marathon? Its in September, any reviews? Ive decided its going to be my first marathon.  

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone here run the Cape Town Marathon? Its in September, any reviews? Ive decided its going to be my first marathon.

That will be my ‘grand’ return to running as well since my injury. Have done it twice so far, reasonably flat with no major hills. Couple of little speed bumps here and there. What caught me both times is the past seven start. Most of my training was done in winter and then you have this late start with the potential to turn into a hottish day. Nice vibe, nice waterpoints but yet I somehow still prefer Winelands over it.

Good luck Candz. More than enough time for training. I am attempting the Safari half on Wednesday and am more nervous than for my first Comrades. If all goes well I know I can start pushing in training again.

I just felt that after running the 21km at Two Oceans that I have outgrown it and would like to see if I can do a full marathon..pretty keen but nervous to do my first marathon at 50! Anyway, good time to grow up  ^_^

The new route is also way better than the one that went through Paarden Eiland. 

It is a well organised, very slick, well supported event. I won't say 'good luck', but rather 'happy training'. 

I find that one 'makes their own luck' at these sorts of things by doing the hard yards 

Sorry Ronniek, I prefer this one to the Winelands. Only plus on Winelands is the scenery if you're not used to vineyards. 

​Candz, it's a lekker and as flat as can be run. Some of the most elevation is crossing bridges! As other have said, very nice vibe, route has improved a lot with the changes of late. And coming all the way from Paarl, I don't mind the 7 start as much as others! As with Oceans, don't get sucked into the downhill section early on, going down to Newlands. But either way, coming back into town is always the hard part. At least now it's not going up from Newlands any more. 

Just enter and klap the training. You'll enjoy it! ;) 

Hope everyone had a good Easter and ate lots of chocolates. [emoji14]

Cape Town is as good as any first marathon. It could be a great day out on a flat course.. It could also blow a Gale... In which case you will be hating life...

Sorry Ronniek, I prefer this one to the Winelands. Only plus on Winelands is the scenery if you're not used to vineyards.

​Candz, it's a lekker and as flat as can be run. Some of the most elevation is crossing bridges! As other have said, very nice vibe, route has improved a lot with the changes of late. And coming all the way from Paarl, I don't mind the 7 start as much as others! As with Oceans, don't get sucked into the downhill section early on, going down to Newlands. But either way, coming back into town is always the hard part. At least now it's not going up from Newlands any more.

Just enter and klap the training. You'll enjoy it! ;)

That’s the reaction I get from everyone when I tell them I prefer Winelands [emoji23]. Think I just don’t prefer flat courses. Want to go all out and have a proper Cape Town this year though as I think this is my year to get into Three Peaks. If I do get an entry I have a sneaky suspicion my legs will be too tired for a decent Winelands.

Comrades unlikely to be broadcast for first time as SABC, ASA fail to reach agreement

https://city-press.news24.com/News/comrades-unlikely-to-be-broadcast-for-first-time-as-sabc-asa-fail-to-reach-agreement-20190428

Such a shame. Cannot believe that BOTH parties will allow this. Comrades is an inspirational day for many people. A friend of mine is doing comrades for the first time this year after watching his brother doing comrades 2 years ago, the turning point for him was seeing all the 'normal' people finish the race (he thought it was only super-humans that could do it)

How many pick up a pair of running shoes after comrades just from the inspiration alone? It's not about the ability to watch it on telly, but the ability to encourage thousands to start/return to this glorious sport.

ASA are such a bunch of &@!%!

exactly. bunch of nobs

and they claim Caster and Wayde like they actually contributed anything significant along the way.

I can't believe I'm even supporting the SABC in something.

the 2OM was streamed on youtube..

someone paid for the production

https://youtu.be/RlRkZsWLRbc

12k viewers is not sustainable

exactly. bunch of nobs

and they claim Caster and Wayde like they actually contributed anything significant along the way.

I can't believe I'm even supporting the SABC in something.

the 2OM was streamed on youtube..

someone paid for the production

12k viewers is not sustainable

It was also streamed via facebook, so maybe something similar will be done for comerades

Edited by shaper

As are SABC.

Not sure which is worse yes.  It seems that Sabc is the worst of the two this time.  

"Pay your tv licence, it's the right thing to do"     Hmmmm