ScottCM

Thanks, I read it the you felt it was disgusting the athletes were snitching. Which from the above doesn't seem to be the case.

It seems that most often it is coach assisted or encouraged. Although athletes that are prepared to go that way will gravitate to certain coaches/managers/teams. It's often common knowledge when you are at that level, as to who to go to get the good stuff. 

You didn't need to be at an elite level to know that Salazar may have been able to assist your performance though. 

None of Salazars athletes publicly tested positive, showing the sophistication of the program. So the only way it was going to become public, was by those people in the program that are honest speaking out. 

Apologies I could have put it more eloquently.

I have no issues with athletes lifting the lid on programs, I have issues when it seems like the coaches are the supply line and it is driven from their side not the athletes.

Always think some poor mom let a coach coach their child to be the best they can be, what a sad day it would be if that trusted person put health and reputations at risk.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies I could have put it more eloquently.

I have no issues with athletes lifting the lid on programs, I have issues when it seems like the coaches are the supply line and it is driven from their side not the athletes.

Always think some poor mom let a coach coach their child to be the best they can be, what a sad day it would be if that trusted person put health and reputations at risk.

We all have to make our own choice. (regarding cheating)

The part that really gets me is the slow & systematic indoctrination that often is exerted by the coach on young or struggling athletes which gets them to the point where they are not making the choice anymore. 

The coach is put on a pedestal and their word is to be obeyed at any cost. It's a form of grooming often, and in teams it becomes the culture. 

Edited by Edgar

The headline seems to be very unfair. I read a summary of the judgment. He has been banned because he told athletes not to declare a substance ( L-Carnitine ) , which they injected. He thought the injections were illegal. They were not and the substance is not banned. He rubbed testosterone powder onto his children. And an assistant coach took more than the recommended dose of L Carnitine. There is no evidence he doped any athlete.Perhaps reading the full judgment will shed more light on his wrongdoing.

The headline seems to be very unfair. I read a summary of the judgment. He has been banned because he told athletes not to declare a substance ( L-Carnitine ) , which they injected. He thought the injections were illegal. They were not and the substance is not banned. He rubbed testosterone powder onto his children. And an assistant coach took more than the recommended dose of L Carnitine. There is no evidence he doped any athlete.Perhaps reading the full judgment will shed more light on his wrongdoing.

I am slowly starting to understand why so many people failed ethics at university, heaven knows what the failure would be like as a school subject...

Edited by dave303e

Who else has experienced the loss of pace after a proper ultra?

Trying to find that flat out pace again is like pulling teeth, TT time every Tuesday is dropping, but slowly and nowhere near where it should be :thumbdown:

The special 90th medal was shite.... Hope it's better than that rubbish

3800 for foreign entries... That's steep

Question relating to trail shoes.

I switched from new balance to Hoka's.

I now roll an ankle in almost every race, and I am now starting to think it might be the shoes fault.

Anyone had similar experience?

Maybe a lower heel to toe drop shoe will be more stable?

Edited by RABUBI

Trying to find that flat out pace again is like pulling teeth, TT time every Tuesday is dropping, but slowly and nowhere near where it should be [emoji107]

You might be in the hole of overreaching, and just need a few weeks to get out of it. Plus training and running an ultra is a very big hole.

Question relating to trail shoes.

I switched from new balance to Hoka's.

I now roll an ankle in almost every race, and I am now starting to think it might be the shoes fault.

Anyone had similar experience?

My wife went from traditional 'stability' shoes to Speedgoats and because you sit so low down in the shoe it hasn't been an issue for her. (if the stability thing is related to you somehow...)

The special 90th medal was shite.... Hope it's better than that rubbish

3800 for foreign entries... That's steep

Compared to the entry price for South Africans I suppose it's quite a difference. It's about $250 which is close to or cheaper than other big city marathon foreign entry fees. New York is $358 for non-US runners. Plus you get up to 12 hours of value at Comrades

Trying to find that flat out pace again is like pulling teeth, TT time every Tuesday is dropping, but slowly and nowhere near where it should be :thumbdown:

How long was the ultra? How much time off did you have afterwards?