ScottCM

Hello all.

I am doing the Miway Cape Ultra Triathlon this weekend. Anyone maybe have some info/advice on the bike route or maybe even a Gpx file? Would be much appreciated.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/22/2022 at 4:53 PM, b-rad said:

A friend asked me this question. Does anyone have or can point me in the direction of a 21km training plan for someone running around a 1h50 half? 
I guess around 10 weeks plan

Try the Garmin training plan? Options for 5,10 or 21km, can set goal times, choose 3 different coaches etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, so over the weekend both of my Salomon soft flasks lids popped, I spoke to Salomon but turns out the lids aren't covered by the warranty. The lids are also not available separately so I have to buy 2 new flasks. Not ideal.

Does anybody know of any other brands of flasks that has lids/caps that are compatible with the salomon flasks?

5EEA7999-D1A7-4E59-A6DC-9EF1C9E9F824.jpeg

531FCBDF-D691-4E51-9C61-A0718F1DF9FE.jpeg

Where exactly did it fail? The thread between of the caps? Did they crack?

My bite valves starting failing after 5 years. There was an option to replace those, but they were half the price of new bottles. So I got new bottles instead (larger opening, hard bottom for easier entry to pack).

Those look like the speed-flasks, I'm not aware of any cheaper brands sharing caps with those.

As an occasional and lazy cyclist who has a problem with running (not a fan), I do find myself turning to this thread for some thoughts on "walking shoes".

I commute to work via a combination of bus and foot. Looking for a comfortable walking shoe that doesn't look like a 90's power-boat (as I will probably wear them around the office and site) or the iconic white NB dad-shoes (as I'm not a dad yet, and my lawn-mowing and braai skills are novice at best).

Been looking at the On Running shoes. (probably the Cloud Swift)

41-99585_blk_02.jpg

I quite like the different look of the shoe, but have no idea whether or not they will be good as a daily walk-about. Anyone here had On Running shoes before?

Edited by patches

5 hours ago, patches said:

As an occasional and lazy cyclist who has a problem with running (not a fan), I do find myself turning to this thread for some thoughts on "walking shoes".

I commute to work via a combination of bus and foot. Looking for a comfortable walking shoe that doesn't look like a 90's power-boat (as I will probably wear them around the office and site) or the iconic white NB dad-shoes (as I'm not a dad yet, and my lawn-mowing and braai skills are novice at best).

41-99585_blk_02.jpg

I quite like the different look of the shoe, but have no idea whether or not they will be good as a daily walk-about. Anyone here had On Running shoes before?

New Balance has some very nice shoes.  

I do a fair bit of walking, and it is very comfortable, and lasts well.

They certainly have a wide range of "looks" for each preferance.

7 hours ago, patches said:

41-99585_blk_02.jpg

Those On Running shoes is a favorite of medical professionals, looks smart and I am envious of not being able to make them part of my office wear.

Personally have a few NB for daily walkers, more than comfy and very happy with them.

For running I use Hoka.

Also get a pair of Asics Noosa Tri`s in a wild color, match them with Hasie Sox and even the children will point and stare.

12 hours ago, DJuice said:

Also get a pair of Asics Noosa Tri`s in a wild color, match them with Hasie Sox and even the children will point and stare.

Those Noosa colour schemes are wicked

15 hours ago, ChrisF said:

New Balance has some very nice shoes.  

I do a fair bit of walking, and it is very comfortable, and lasts well.

They certainly have a wide range of "looks" for each preferance.

hahah indeed! I have looked at some New Balance options.

I've heard that out of the "common brands" that New Balance and Asics are the ones podiatrists prefer, with the bigger names like Nike and Adidas less so. Brooks are also recommended.

I just don't think I'm qualified to wear these yet...

New Balance 608 Dad Shoes Online Sale, UP TO 55% OFF

I quite like the "new look" large logo styles they have out at the moment:

New Balance Mens FuelCell Propel 2E Running Shoes

New Balance Mens Fresh Foam Roav D Running Shoes

New Balance Mens Fresh Foam Roav D Running Shoes(probably a little less bold and more appropriate for the workplace)

13 hours ago, DJuice said:

Those On Running shoes is a favorite of medical professionals, looks smart and I am envious of not being able to make them part of my office wear.

Personally have a few NB for daily walkers, more than comfy and very happy with them.

For running I use Hoka.

Yeah, was looking at the On Running as they're currently 50% off here. At full price (around R3000 equiv), I was leaning more towards New Balance or Asics.

I have been impressed with my Asics squash shoes, casual sneakers (Onitsuka Ultimates) and current walk-arounds (some of those old school retro looking Asics, but they're probably not designed for high mileage).

Those Noosas are wild! I'll definitely get noticed walking around the hospital, haha

18 minutes ago, patches said:

hahah indeed! I have looked at some New Balance options.

I've heard that out of the "common brands" that New Balance and Asics are the ones podiatrists prefer, with the bigger names like Nike and Adidas less so. Brooks are also recommended.

I just don't think I'm qualified to wear these yet...

New Balance 608 Dad Shoes Online Sale, UP TO 55% OFF

I quite like the "new look" large logo styles they have out at the moment:

New Balance Mens FuelCell Propel 2E Running Shoes

New Balance Mens Fresh Foam Roav D Running Shoes(probably a little less bold and more appropriate for the workplace)

Yeah, was looking at the On Running as they're currently 50% off here. At full price (around R3000 equiv), I was leaning more towards New Balance or Asics.

I have been impressed with my Asics squash shoes, casual sneakers (Onitsuka Ultimates) and current walk-arounds (some of those old school retro looking Asics, but they're probably not designed for high mileage).

Those Noosas are wild! I'll definitely get noticed walking around the hospital, haha

Have a pair of NB Arishi V3 I’m fond off, black with neon yellow sole, looks like they are discountinued.

Currently like the Asics Metaride in electric french blue, it must be a winner. 

6 hours ago, patches said:

New Balance and Asics are the ones podiatrists prefer....

I use something like this in New Balance.  On advice from my podiatrist.  Every so often I walk more than 5km during site inspections, these hold up very nicely.

6 hours ago, DJuice said:

Have a pair of NB Arishi V3 I’m fond off, black with neon yellow sole, looks like they are discountinued.

Currently like the Asics Metaride in electric french blue, it must be a winner. 

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I use something like this in New Balance.  On advice from my podiatrist.  Every so often I walk more than 5km during site inspections, these hold up very nicely.

I was going to say that Google must be listening, but I just saw this on our work screensaver, not my FB news feed.

image.png.a56b07d8706dbd4ad6cec98aa6c1b30b.png

Maybe it's a sign!

21 hours ago, patches said:

casual sneakers (Onitsuka Ultimates) and current walk-arounds (some of those old school retro looking Asics, but they're probably not designed for high mileage).

The old school shoes used to be perfectly fine for comrades athletes back in the days. They’ll be fine for your commute walkies as well. Not much difference between casual shoes now and running shoes then. Don't over think it. If they are comfy, rock them. 

I used to work as a footwear planner in a mainstream retail store. We could get any shoes we wanted at absurd prices. Yet my favorite pair of shoes was the Onitsuka Tigers that I used to buy from the Jordan Factory shops. I'd walk the sole through and then go buy a new pair as my office shoes. 

I'm still a bit of a tekkie nut, the only difference is that I always buy from factory shops or markdown tables now