ScottCM

On 4/13/2022 at 7:55 PM, NeverNotRolling said:

Two questions,

1. Would you prefer a light that is rechargeable or one that you can put batteries in?

2. What's your budget?

Good price, but requires batteries, if you have rechargeable batteries then I would get this for basic road running:

https://www.takealot.com/petzl-headlamp-tikkina-black-250lm/PLID69348016?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI99nYvMuR9wIV4YBQBh2BEgKLEAQYASABEgLgHfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Then, if you want a good light with a built in battery, then your budget will need to stretch a little (In order of preference):

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/nitecore-nu32-headlamp-650-lumen 

https://www.takealot.com/black-diamond-spot-lite-200-headlamp/PLID71832754

The brands I know of that are popular that you should keep an eye out on are Black Diamond, Petzl, Nitecore and Led Lenser. 

1. Would want rechargeable.

2. Ideally in the region of about R600 give or take.

Just doing some research. A member at our running club was able to get a deal on a Kaufmann rechargeable headlight that pushes 320 lumens and is selling them at R550 a pop. Very tempting.  Just want to make sure that A) it isn't overpriced and B) if I cant get something better for roughly the same money.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I won a led lensor SE07 a good few years ago. I must say it has been a go to for me. On the farm to chase cows in the dark or jackal or just working in the dark or for racing/running. The beauty is that it comes with a small rechargeable battery that lasts well and then you can switch to AAA's if you get caught out. Mine has done 1,2 expeditions a good few 120km races and countless farm hours. I even had to replace the strap now with the elastic wearing out. It is far more reliable than the older HR7's.

2 hours ago, JuddMan said:

1. Would want rechargeable.

2. Ideally in the region of about R600 give or take.

On the budget, remember that a good headlamp would last you at least five years. I bought a Petzl Aktik Core in 2017. Rechargeable battery still going strong. Water resistant, so all good when running in rain. Strap still fine. Not saying that a Kaufmann won't last, just consider the capital-vs-lifetime.

Unlike your shoes, which cost between R1k to R3k and last half a season.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, anyone want to buy a pair of Altra shoes of your choice at a good price (R2000)? I won a pair of Altra but thinking of rather getting another pair of Asics Trabuco 9 which I know work for me (if I can find any stock!). Or the upcoming Xodus Ultra looks good.

You can choose any road or trail shoe on https://altrafootwear.co.za/

(I also have a 15% discount code if anyone needs it)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 8:57 AM, ridr said:

Hi, anyone want to buy a pair of Altra shoes of your choice at a good price (R2000)? I won a pair of Altra but thinking of rather getting another pair of Asics Trabuco 9 which I know work for me (if I can find any stock!). Or the upcoming Xodus Ultra looks good.

You can choose any road or trail shoe on https://altrafootwear.co.za/

(I also have a 15% discount code if anyone needs it)

R1500 anyone?

Think it was somewhere on here someone mentioned how the euro's focus on shorter distances etc.

I am targeting a 10km pb and boy oh boy is the training physically more painful than any of the training I have done before. Training for a hundred miler hurts, but this is different. 

It got me thinking though- I reckon finishing a 100 miler/comrades/100km/ultra is more doable for the average runner than doing say a 37min 10km? Your thoughts?

14 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Think it was somewhere on here someone mentioned how the euro's focus on shorter distances etc.

I am targeting a 10km pb and boy oh boy is the training physically more painful than any of the training I have done before. Training for a hundred miler hurts, but this is different. 

It got me thinking though- I reckon finishing a 100 miler/comrades/100km/ultra is more doable for the average runner than doing say a 37min 10km? Your thoughts?

If we're talking average runner then absolutely. Look at Comrades...50% of the field finish in the last hour. You could argue that if they only had 11hours some of them would get a move on and finish a bit quicker but if we are talking average runner in South Africa...then yeah I reckon there are more that can finish Comrades than run a 37min 10km

1 minute ago, travisza said:

If we're talking average runner then absolutely. Look at Comrades...50% of the field finish in the last hour. You could argue that if they only had 11hours some of them would get a move on and finish a bit quicker but if we are talking average runner in South Africa...then yeah I reckon there are more that can finish Comrades than run a 37min 10km

Define AVG Runner? I don't think you can equate anybody just finishing comrades or an ultra to a specific time on a 10k. You don't need to be any better than and avg runner to run a silver comrades. You have to be a better than avg runner to run a silver oceans. Finishing comrades or an ultra doesn't make you an avg runner. You can jog your way to a 5h marathon and walk the rest of the way and finish comrades before the cut off.  

I feel that an avg runner should be able to get very close to a silver comrades and at worst no slower than 8:30. Running 5m/km isnt that hard with some training, its a mindset that people create barriers around. Do the training - like you are for the 10k - and suddenly it is doable to run a decent ultra not just finish. Sun 37m 10k is a decent time but not unachievable for the avg runner if they put in the training. You aint going from running 40+ minutes to sub 37 off 8 weeks of training. 

This may be controversial, but that is my view. 

Got a mate that is between 95-100kg that went from running maybe 30k a week and not able to break 34 minutes for a 8k, to a sub 3 marathon and running regularly in and around 37 min 10k. It took him 12 months of training - and he trained hard with a good programme - and still weights over 90kg. I don't call him anything other than an avg runner. 

23 hours ago, dave303e said:

Agree 100%, running under 4min/km for 10km is out of the reach for many runners, based on genetics and physical ability... or the lack thereof. Whereas finishing an ultra in the allotted time is more down to mental capacity, which has almost no boundaries. Provided its an ultra geared for the masses.

2 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Agree 100%, running under 4min/km for 10km is out of the reach for many runners, based on genetics and physical ability... or the lack thereof. Whereas finishing an ultra in the allotted time is more down to mental capacity, which has almost no boundaries. Provided its an ultra geared for the masses.

Also agree.

Many years ago I did run 10km under 40 min and 21 under 1:30.  To get there is a lot more maximal efforts, blood, sweat & tears.

Also did Comrades, 2 Oceans and many other marathons & ultras.  Takes a lot of time to train for these to improve endurance, but to run faster than 4min/km is a completely different beast all together, something the vast majority of runners will never achieve, that's just how it is.

5 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Also agree.

Many years ago I did run 10km under 40 min and 21 under 1:30.  To get there is a lot more maximal efforts, blood, sweat & tears.

Also did Comrades, 2 Oceans and many other marathons & ultras.  Takes a lot of time to train for these to improve endurance, but to run faster than 4min/km is a completely different beast all together, something the vast majority of runners will never achieve, that's just how it is.

I might be the exception... like you i have run up to 21km under 4min /km...with a lot of training...but i never even made the start line for comrades (injured and sick ) and since then never entered anything over 42km 😁

On 6/8/2022 at 12:13 PM, ridr said:

R1500 anyone?

That's a really good offer but I recently got some seriously yellow Peregrines...

1 minute ago, Fisan said:

That's a really good offer but I recently got some seriously yellow Peregrines...

I love the look of the new Peregrines! Enjoy!

Edited by ridr

I think 100milers are easy.... ssshhhh.....

BUT, the big BUT, is how long you train for that specific goal.

Going from a plodder to fast takes loads of hard work, track, speed, rest... Training for a 100 miler is just time.

But if you've been running track and doing speedwork since high school, going long and slow or making the transition is also difficult.

The pushing through is different. Holding intensity for 2;50 and pushing through that pain but knowing it is going to end soon vs pushing through blisters, sleep deprivation, terrible weather and other things knowing it's going to last a day or longer. 

It mostly comes down to training

After a back operation and no running for 2+ years,  I thought my running days are over. I probably Read 100's of articles about back fusion's and returning to running etc. So going against my local house Doctor's wishes, I consulted Adrian le Roux from Cape Town and send him my medical info and type of fusion i had etc. He came back to me and said I could slowly return to running and build my base again bit by bit. But I must still continue with my TRX and strength work I'm still doing at the moment. So I bought the new Hoka's Clifton 8 and will prob start slowly again like a snail 🐌  this afternoon. Super happy I can start running again. I was getting gatvol of just walking around the block..

20220610_122111.jpg