ScottCM

7 hours ago, tjommies3 said:

Hi All

Jhb based members - Is anyone here an orthopedic surgeon, or has anyone had any experience with injectables for an ITB (or other) issue? My doctor recommended it to me over the weekend. I am running at what, for my abilities, seems to be a blistering pace but I can't seem to go comfortably over a half marathon distance. I need to start my prep for Comrades 24 soon, and need a solution to achieve a decent experience at the Ultra. My last 2 marathons went well until halfway in 1 and 30km in the other. Please advise?

Honestly, you need to back right off running, do the physio work and sort your hip flexors out( I will put money that a good masseuse will make you cry with a well aimed elbow to the hip flexors).

Remember the cortisone will help for ~6 weeks, then you will be back at square one and the second one doesn't work near as well.

I was very aggressive and had surgery for an ITB that got so bad I couldn't walk across a mall without it hurting. It was what I thought was best for my personal position back then, if I had it now I would take a few months off and do the work because you have to do the physio and bio work for months anyway. The surgery was 100% success for me, but that is my case and operations are always to be avoided if possible.

My 2c, comrades will still be there in 2025, take a few months with very minimal running and maximal bio and physio work. Spend some time on the bike(often the bike doesn't aggravate it at all) and then re look at upping distance when it is sorted. My doc explained to me that the ITB is like a steel cable, you don't sommer just stretch that puppy out quickly, it takes time.

If all else fails, go chat with Dr Barrow the knee surgeon, or Dr Barrow the Physio, you should come right between the 2 of them.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying my luck - anyone I can join for a run on Wednesday morning in PE from Humewood / Summerstrand area? Any pace and distance.

On 11/13/2023 at 2:57 PM, milky4130 said:

is strength work part of your training regiment?

Only body weight type training but not as serious as calisthenics.

Edited by tjommies3

On 11/13/2023 at 3:26 PM, McD23 said:

Have you been to a good physio versus Doc ?

Much more to it than just getting an injection.

what volume/km per week are you doing , whats a blistering pace ie are you running too hard too fast relative to your bodies running experience ect.

I have tried a few different options, including a highly recommended physio, sports scientist who treated me with lynotherapy, various types of sports, deep tissue, Chinese, Swedish and Thai massage. I do the usual glute activation and everything that is necessary. In terms of mileage, it varies from week to week but it has been consistent enough, around 1840km for the year and I can comfortably run at sub 4'30" pace.

On 11/13/2023 at 4:00 PM, dave303e said:

Honestly, you need to back right off running, do the physio work and sort your hip flexors out( I will put money that a good masseuse will make you cry with a well aimed elbow to the hip flexors).

Remember the cortisone will help for ~6 weeks, then you will be back at square one and the second one doesn't work near as well.

I was very aggressive and had surgery for an ITB that got so bad I couldn't walk across a mall without it hurting. It was what I thought was best for my personal position back then, if I had it now I would take a few months off and do the work because you have to do the physio and bio work for months anyway. The surgery was 100% success for me, but that is my case and operations are always to be avoided if possible.

My 2c, comrades will still be there in 2025, take a few months with very minimal running and maximal bio and physio work. Spend some time on the bike(often the bike doesn't aggravate it at all) and then re look at upping distance when it is sorted. My doc explained to me that the ITB is like a steel cable, you don't sommer just stretch that puppy out quickly, it takes time.

If all else fails, go chat with Dr Barrow the knee surgeon, or Dr Barrow the Physio, you should come right between the 2 of them.

The intention is just to get the shot for the event. There is no way that I want to use it every now and again because I'm fine most of the time. I will check your recommendations regarding the Barrows, if necessary. I appreciate you sharing your experience in the matter.

15 minutes ago, tjommies3 said:

I have tried a few different options, including a highly recommended physio, sports scientist who treated me with lynotherapy, various types of sports, deep tissue, Chinese, Swedish and Thai massage. I do the usual glute activation and everything that is necessary. In terms of mileage, it varies from week to week but it has been consistent enough, around 1840km for the year and I can comfortably run at sub 4'30" pace.

And how much running before that ?

Ie did you ramp up from very little to that volume and pace in this year alone ? It takes time for ligaments,  tendons to handle the load of running versus ramping up significantly on a low impact sport like cycling. 

I'm in exactly the same boat with Tendinopathy in my right knee.

3 months off since comrades in june and only just started progressively loading it  now with the idea of building for comrades next year.

Only thing that seems to have made a difference is the weighted strength exercises latest physio has me doing.

9 minutes ago, McD23 said:

And how much running before that ?

Ie did you ramp up from very little to that volume and pace in this year alone ? It takes time for ligaments,  tendons to handle the load of running versus ramping up significantly on a low impact sport like cycling. 

I'm in exactly the same boat with Tendinopathy in my right knee.

3 months off since comrades in june and only just started progressively loading it  now with the idea of building for comrades next year.

Only thing that seems to have made a difference is the weighted strength exercises latest physio has me doing.

I have close to 6000km under the belt over the last few years ending 2022 (1840 is for 2023). When I started, it was a very slow progression, literally running 1km per day without breaking a sweat initially. I understand the injury prevention concept very well, so there was no ramping up of anything. I get the small niggles that most runners get but nothing significant. My tendons and ligaments are all in a condition that I would like them to be, it's literally just my ITB holding me back. Hoping that your comeback is positive.

3 minutes ago, tjommies3 said:

I have close to 6000km under the belt over the last few years ending 2022 (1840 is for 2023). When I started, it was a very slow progression, literally running 1km per day without breaking a sweat initially. I understand the injury prevention concept very well, so there was no ramping up of anything. I get the small niggles that most runners get but nothing significant. My tendons and ligaments are all in a condition that I would like them to be, it's literally just my ITB holding me back. Hoping that your comeback is positive.

Eish. Goodluck.

I joke with all my mates now , riding is hiding , running is real !

It just breaks you 🤐

48 minutes ago, tjommies3 said:

Only body weight type training but not as serious as calisthenics.

I'm a novice to running, my game changer has been weighted strength training to supplement my running ands it compliments my cycling as well as there is plenty of overlap with some of the exercises. I've run nowhere near the mileage you've done, yet I was able to run a sub 3 marathon last month (CTM). That would not have been possible without the strength work.

I religiously do a warm up & cool down before & after every run. Running surface plagues me with niggles on the knees, itb's, ankles, etc. when the route has too much off camber, road or pavement run offs, so I regularly try to mix them up. Just sharing what works you sound much more experienced so probably knew all of this already 🙂

10 minutes ago, McD23 said:

Eish. Goodluck.

I joke with all my mates now , riding is hiding , running is real !

It just breaks you 🤐

Thank you and likewise

5 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

I'm a novice to running, my game changer has been weighted strength training to supplement my running ands it compliments my cycling as well as there is plenty of overlap with some of the exercises. I've run nowhere near the mileage you've done, yet I was able to run a sub 3 marathon last month (CTM). That would not have been possible without the strength work.

I religiously do a warm up & cool down before & after every run. Running surface plagues me with niggles on the knees, itb's, ankles, etc. when the route has too much off camber, road or pavement run offs, so I regularly try to mix them up. Just sharing what works you sound much more experienced so probably knew all of this already 🙂

At best for now, I could possibly run a 3:15 marathon if all goes well. Patience is key and I will definitely look into weighted strength training. Well done on your sub 3. Problem is that when you know a lot of what is spoken about, it sometimes complicates matters because you want to try everything instead of keeping it simple.

15 hours ago, tjommies3 said:

The intention is just to get the shot for the event. There is no way that I want to use it every now and again because I'm fine most of the time. I will check your recommendations regarding the Barrows, if necessary. I appreciate you sharing your experience in the matter.

ya I would say that is a good plan, but just be aware if you have any slight issues now, when you start to ramp up distance come Feb/March you will be needing that shot a long time before the race. If you going to stick with this plan, get to the physio now and start working on loosening it up and strengthening the imbalance causing it and hopefully you start in time to be able to last long enough to have the shot just before the race. But good luck with it all and let us know how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...