ScottCM

On 1/7/2024 at 4:55 PM, Zama7 said:

Took my Asics trabuco 11 for a 10km spin at Wolwespruit today and super impressed Grip and stability is great felt way more confident going downhill. I think I might have gona 1/2 size to big but I assume bigger is better than smaller so me left foot was sliding a but but nothing major. Going to try fix with thicker socks and maybe different lace techniques. Any recomendations for good thick running socks? Currently using falke which is already on the thicker side.

First impressions of the shoe is 9/10 but will have to run it in to give a full review. 

You might have to experiment a bit to find the socks that work for you. I prefer thicker socks and find the Balega Enduro and Falke All Terrain work for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so doing this road running thing this year.

like properly, actually joined a running club and even licenced nogal.

turns out the saturday morning training club runs the members all take turns to drive the support vehicle and every 5km or so there's a table with cokes, water and sweeties. very nice surprise!!

Somethings are weird. like results can take up to 10 days to be published, and that's totally acceptable.

Tried to enter a race coming up. but didn't have my licence yet so was waiting on that. Now that i have it entries are sold out, so entries closed before cut-off.  Subs closed before then too, even though they were planning on still taking entries up to this point. totally normal it seems.

oh well, there will be other races out there.

Entered my very first triple digit ultra a few minutes ago. 100km of trail in as long as it takes basically. Realistically I reckon about 18 to 20 hours for my fat ass. My running heritage is not great so going to hurt a bit I suspect. But, it should be enjoyable and great scenery. 

@ScottCM think about it  

https://www.thresholdtrailseries.com/events/race-to-the-stones/

Edited by IceCreamMan

1 minute ago, IceCreamMan said:

Entered my very first triple digit ultra a few minutes ago. 100km of trail in as long as it takes basically. Realistically I reckon about 18 to 20 hours for my fat ass. My running heritage is not great so going to hurt a bit I suspect. But, it should be enjoyable and great scenery. 

https://www.thresholdtrailseries.com/events/race-to-the-stones/

Did my first triple digit in 1987 on a dare, the old Algoa 100miler. During and directly after the race I thought I was going to be scarred for life, but still a runner today. Let me rather rephrase a jogger. Enjoy and sometimes it is a very good thing to do something a bit different. A good goal should scare you a little and excite you a lot.

11 hours ago, Shebeen said:

turns out the saturday morning training club runs the members all take turns to drive the support vehicle and every 5km or so there's a table with cokes, water and sweeties. very nice surprise!!

Somethings are weird. like results can take up to 10 days to be published, and that's totally acceptable.

Tried to enter a race coming up. but didn't have my licence yet so was waiting on that. Now that i have it entries are sold out, so entries closed before cut-off.  Subs closed before then too, even though they were planning on still taking entries up to this point. totally normal it seems.

having same issues, you can't buy a 2023 ASA license because it is 2024, but the 2024 licenses are not available yet meanwhile there is a marathon every weekend. dumbest thing I have ever encountered. 

There is an elegance to the simplicity of trail running. You enter a race and then run it. No license, no clubs, no admin, no qualification races...

15 minutes ago, dave303e said:

having same issues, you can't buy a 2023 ASA license because it is 2024, but the 2024 licenses are not available yet meanwhile there is a marathon every weekend. dumbest thing I have ever encountered. 

There is an elegance to the simplicity of trail running. You enter a race and then run it. No license, no clubs, no admin, no qualification races...

ASA have always been like this and don't know why they cannot do things sooner.  Every year, you enter races in early January and February and use the previous years race number.  Licences are usually only available towards the end of February As regular road runners, you get use to this scenario.

18 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Yep. WY less politics on the trail side of things.
Just high entry fees compared to road races. Some of it might even be worth it. I am way more willing to run far and in wild places knowing that help is already on standby with people around than ons any given Sunday on my ace. 

1 hour ago, shaper said:

ASA have always been like this and don't know why they cannot do things sooner.  Every year, you enter races in early January and February and use the previous years race number.  Licences are usually only available towards the end of February As regular road runners, you get use to this scenario.

That is great, unless you don't have a license from the previous year, ie new to the sport.

Event organisers always go on about growing the sport, but then you have this massive barrier to entry(quite literally)

Maybe do away with the licence thing completely, it’s just a cash grab to keep an old archaic organisation going. And keeps clubs from dying artificially. Not all clubs . The good ones will survive. 

have 2 tier pricing, those with a licence get a cheaper deal thus incentivising a licence but not compulsory. One year I had to join a club just to get a licence to run one marathon (Soweto) . No licence needed here and the clubs flourish. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

37 minutes ago, dave303e said:

That is great, unless you don't have a license from the previous year, ie new to the sport.

Event organisers always go on about growing the sport, but then you have this massive barrier to entry(quite literally)

You just buy a temp licence for the race until you get your 2024 licence.  So there is no barrier!

Organisers are trying to grow the sport, it is however not them to blame when it is an Athletes South Africa problem who issue the licences

Edited by shaper

2 hours ago, dave303e said:

ha ha,that's the thing.

Got my 2024 licence the day before entries closed. but then they got sold out! hopefully i can make a plan, but it is good to have an event so popular it sells out!

rumblings around parkrun, and more the parkrace aspect!

https://www.parkrun.com/blog/news/2024/02/08/changes-to-statistics-on-the-parkrun-websites/?fbclid=IwAR2bHNTOKCpP8f7Lu7865fjbXMCpkmov_MDGn58O3KH7AA9F39y6TKjjBqE

interestingly the SA female record was(is) still held by comrades runner jenna challinor from at least 8 years ago. was just waiting for some guy to self identify and claim it

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

rumblings around parkrun, and more the parkrace aspect!

https://www.parkrun.com/blog/news/2024/02/08/changes-to-statistics-on-the-parkrun-websites/?fbclid=IwAR2bHNTOKCpP8f7Lu7865fjbXMCpkmov_MDGn58O3KH7AA9F39y6TKjjBqE

interestingly the SA female record was(is) still held by comrades runner jenna challinor from at least 8 years ago. was just waiting for some guy to self identify and claim it

Another example of encouraging mediocrity? Hand out participation medals? 
parkrun is not about a race. The idea is participation and improvement. But of course many do try race and racing, even against oneself, is fun. So leave it be.

So, how do I go about getting a running problem? I walk briskly for about 11 km a day and got to thinking, if I started running, it wouldn't take as much time. Honestly, I am clueless.

18 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Soooooo….. which club colours will you be striding out in…..ie which club did you join?

1 hour ago, peepeekaitjie said:

So, how do I go about getting a running problem? I walk briskly for about 11 km a day and got to thinking, if I started running, it wouldn't take as much time. Honestly, I am clueless.

walk 2 light poles, run 1. Build from there till you run them all. Slowly does it though.
Alternatively there are a lot of couch to 5k programs free to download that are a good start.