ScottCM

10 minutes ago, dave303e said:

walk 2 light poles, run 1. Build from there till you run them all. Slowly does it though.
Alternatively there are a lot of couch to 5k programs free to download that are a good start.

So I could do 2 min off, 1 min on? my route doesn't have many light poles and isn't very linear

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, peepeekaitjie said:

So I could do 2 min off, 1 min on? my route doesn't have many light poles and isn't very linear

Yes you can, then the following week, 2min off 2min on, the week after 2min off 3 min on and keep building distance/time every week.  As dave303e said, lots of free online download pdf's for couch to 5km that you can follow.

When you run, run at a pace you could have a normal conversation and not out of breath huffing.  

2 minutes ago, shaper said:

Yes you can, then the following week, 2min off 2min on, the week after 2min off 3 min on and keep building distance/time every week.  As dave303e said, lots of free online download pdf's for couch to 5km that you can follow.

When you run, run at a pace you could have a normal conversation and not out of breath huffing.  

thank you. sounds simple enough and obviously not everyday

6 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Soooooo….. which club colours will you be striding out in…..ie which club did you join?

The south peninsula jail outfit!

• 2 weeks later...

No, saw a few friends had PB's, looked like ok conditions except for a headwind later in the race.

How is everyone's training going? 

I am in the last tough week before a longer taper into my first marathon. Been enjoying the lower training load being focused on running only. Still looking forward to the taper though.

picked up a bit of plantar fascittis while on a run yesterday, first time ever. Felt a bit of pain and thought i could run through it, 500 metres later end of run. hobbled home and hobbling around treating it with ice etc. First time ever and has come at a very bad time. 

Internet wisdom says 1 to 3 weeks recovery which i can ill afford right now but is what it is.  For those that have had this , what is the general time down? 

40 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

picked up a bit of plantar fascittis while on a run yesterday, first time ever. Felt a bit of pain and thought i could run through it, 500 metres later end of run. hobbled home and hobbling around treating it with ice etc. First time ever and has come at a very bad time. 

Internet wisdom says 1 to 3 weeks recovery which i can ill afford right now but is what it is.  For those that have had this , what is the general time down? 

Adjust your thinking. This needs time . I disregarded that advice and ended up having ops on both feet .

45 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

I was going to say, not me, but my old running partner developed it and missed 3 months and still wasn't right after trying to come back too early too many times.

My advice would be to get to a professional who can have a proper look and give you the right rehab. 

Sorry, that sucks!

21 hours ago, dave303e said:

No, saw a few friends had PB's, looked like ok conditions except for a headwind later in the race.

How is everyone's training going? 

I am in the last tough week before a longer taper into my first marathon. Been enjoying the lower training load being focused on running only. Still looking forward to the taper though.

training is behind schedule!

but there is time!

1 hour ago, IceCreamMan said:

Mine comes and goes, currently the first 20 odd steps  int the morning are hell and then they warm up and I don't feel it the rest of the day. Rest, Ice, stretching and rolling on a massage ball are my go to remedies. Also check shoe mileage, I was lazy and let 2 pairs click through 1000km and boom, issues.

But take it easy, if you ease up on it early enough you can manage it.

Also carbon plated super shoes, put them away at the first sign of plantar fasciitis in my opinion. Not sure the medical research on it, but I seem to get it easier when I am doing lots in super shoes

6 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Also carbon plated super shoes, put them away at the first sign of plantar fasciitis in my opinion. Not sure the medical research on it, but I seem to get it easier when I am doing lots in super shoes

oh sheeeet, are we doing carbon supershoes already? i'm waiting for the mr price version still

9 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

oh sheeeet, are we doing carbon supershoes already? i'm waiting for the mr price version still

I got a pair when chasing a 10km pb a few years ago, firm believer since then. I don't plan on running lots of marathons so I want to give the few that I do a good chance as ever.

Not in the mood to train but I am training. Seems like I'm currently in the 'train smarter, not harder' group. Last race I tried was a marathon. Fortunately, it was a double lap, so I just went for the HM. Will be trying my luck again at the Cape Gate Vaal Marathon. Thereafter, I will be winding down a bit due to Ramadhan and the mileage will be high but due to short runs not LSD runs. Prepping for Comrades seems a bit tricky at the moment but I'm sure that I'll be ok.

Speedy recovery to those experiencing a few niggles.