ScottCM

Agree with Pulse on all of this... Rehidrat I think is far better at replenishing electrolytes than tablets. You don't per chance supplement with creatine at all? Know a few people who've struggled with cramps as a result of using it to aid recovery.

Good luck, don't leave this long in case it's something more serious. And yes, training hard and not eating great is also not the best idea - but you knew that already  :D

Definitely not Creatine, I use a multi vit, Vit C, Glutamine for recovery after a strenuous training session, that's it. 

I do take rehydrate during an event, will take some over the next few days, can't do any harm.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys and Gals, maybe someone here has some insight to help me out.

So as mentioned in my IM70.3 post i cramped really early in the swim and struggled through to the end. initially i thought maybe it was the saltiness from the ocean or i just went out to fast or bad tapering or even poor diet the two weeks preceding the event. All which happened.

Now after reflecting a bit further, i can recall the 3 weeks leading up i was cramping during the day and evening while not training, in my legs, feet, hands, neck. Now two weeks post IM70.3 i'm still getting cramps even in my feet, although i haven't done anything except a 5km fun run/walk with a first timer (To get them into the sport - Run/Walk for Bibles on Sat) so it was very slow.  

I eat a chewable calcium and a replenish K (Potassium) tablet every night. Am i right in thinking this could be a non-event related issue? If so, Any idea what could be causing the cramps?

I'm not that kind of Doctor, but perhaps question what 'changed' between no-cramps and cramps? eg diet, supplements, training program, new mattress, pillows, new car etc etc. List them all, however absurd they may appear, and then systematically go through the list and query whether each line item has any significance or otherwise to create a list of hot-items and then change back and re-assess. 

I'm not that kind of Doctor, but perhaps question what 'changed' between no-cramps and cramps? eg diet, supplements, training program, new mattress, pillows, new car etc etc. List them all, however absurd they may appear, and then systematically go through the list and query whether each line item has any significance or otherwise to create a list of hot-items and then change back and re-assess. 

In theory that would be great, unfortunately the position i find myself in, all the big changes that have happened recently can't be unchanged so will have to hope it's the electrolytes deficiency that is the cause as that can easily be fixed 

Edited by ScottC-M

Hey guys and Gals, maybe someone here has some insight to help me out.

So as mentioned in my IM70.3 post i cramped really early in the swim and struggled through to the end. initially i thought maybe it was the saltiness from the ocean or i just went out to fast or bad tapering or even poor diet the two weeks preceding the event. All which happened.

Now after reflecting a bit further, i can recall the 3 weeks leading up i was cramping during the day and evening while not training, in my legs, feet, hands, neck. Now two weeks post IM70.3 i'm still getting cramps even in my feet, although i haven't done anything except a 5km fun run/walk with a first timer (To get them into the sport - Run/Walk for Bibles on Sat) so it was very slow.  

I eat a chewable calcium and a replenish K (Potassium) tablet every night. Am i right in thinking this could be a non-event related issue? If so, Any idea what could be causing the cramps?

I used to cramp really badly in my hip flexors, hammies and calves when I started running. I found stretching really helped, as has been said above here its not always nutrition thats the cause. Your situation sounds very interesting though, and frustrating. My first impression was that there is some compound or nutrient missing from your day-to-day. This shouldn't be happening to you all the time, must be awful. I hope you find the cause soon.

In theory that would be great, unfortunately the position i find myself in, all the big changes that have happened recently can't be unchanged so will have to hope it's the electrolytes deficiency that is the cause as that can easily be fixed 

Ah, true. Well in which case, perhaps cutting yourself some slack, and enjoying whatever your body offers you in the interim, is the best solve on offer? Good luck.

Have you tried Slow Mag? Maybe try the Rehidrate first for a couple of days and then if the problem persists then try Slow Mag fizzy in the evenings. I have restless legs and it really helps. Slow Mag also helped me when I started cramping at OMTOM. I took a fizzy 20km from the finish when nothing else seems to help.

I had an interesting discussion last night with one of my cycling mates. He did the Jhb to Free State Dash the past weekend and he reckons stress messes up your race. Before a race, you normally work harder to crunch in all the work before you take leave for a race. Out of personal experience, I am convinced stress affects your performance. Sometimes the only option is to take a break and rest. Sort out your life/ work. LISTEN to your body.

Have you tried Slow Mag? Maybe try the Rehidrate first for a couple of days and then if the problem persists then try Slow Mag fizzy in the evenings. I have restless legs and it really helps. Slow Mag also helped me when I started cramping at OMTOM. I took a fizzy 20km from the finish when nothing else seems to help.

I had an interesting discussion last night with one of my cycling mates. He did the Jhb to Free State Dash the past weekend and he reckons stress messes up your race. Before a race, you normally work harder to crunch in all the work before you take leave for a race. Out of personal experience, I am convinced stress affects your performance. Sometimes the only option is to take a break and rest. Sort out your life/ work. LISTEN to your body.

That mean you don't want me to come do your clubs  race on Sunday?

ha ha, thanks for the feedback though. will keep the Slow Mag as i reminder and actually try it a bit.

That mean you don't want me to come do your clubs  race on Sunday?

ha ha, thanks for the feedback though. will keep the Slow Mag as i reminder and actually try it a bit.

If your body is telling you to rest then you can miss a 10km run  ^_^

Try the Rehidrate and then make a decision on Saturday. There are lots of races still coming this year.

Looking at the budget and making a few calculations for entries, travel and accommodation coming up, there is only one conclusion..    These races, specifically Omtom and Comrades, costs a heck of a lot of money....  

Looking at the budget and making a few calculations for entries, travel and accommodation coming up, there is only one conclusion..    These races, specifically Omtom and Comrades, costs a heck of a lot of money....  

Travel is expensive... the races are the cheap part. Except OMTOM of course which is somehow twice the price of everything else. But that's another debate entirely...

Travel is expensive... the races are the cheap part. Except OMTOM of course which is somehow twice the price of everything else. But that's another debate entirely...

Never ever look at the price of some trail runs. Crazy... and there you're more often than not self-sustained.

Agreed, the logistics for should tropical fruit and fan collide is more complex, but still... 

So is anyone on here looking at running Karkloof 100?

Any ideas if it is worth having pacers?

Support crews?

multiple shoes or just HTFU and run...

R420?    It's the same as Comrades.   Yeah, the entries are nothing, especially since you get shirts for starters as well.   Except trail races, their entries are ludicrous...    

Accomodation and the travelling to omtom and comrades specifically are the heavy factors in my budget for them.

If I make a calc of all the races per year and save that monthly, it is a pretty scary amount...    

Investment in health and memories hey...

You lucky you don't do any of the ironman events!!.... neither the races or travel/acomm are cheap !!

Thankfully comrades is only entrance fee and omtom is only entry and air tickets because my brother is in cape town.. But still adds up.

Running shoes on the other hand end up costing close to 400 bucks a month!

Thankfully comrades is only entrance fee and omtom is only entry and air tickets because my brother is in cape town.. But still adds up.

Running shoes on the other hand end up costing close to 400 bucks a month!

I wish,

2 pairs of trail shoes for EA was R7K...