ScottCM

For my first Comrades, I got a substitute. Only decided after OMTOM I guess I can give it a try. There will definitely be lots of entries available in the substitution period.

Yup, ScottC-M very kindly transferred his entry so that my wife and I could run our first Comrades together this year. But I did see quite a few popping up on the Facebook groups and various forums when the window opened. I have a hunch there will be even more this year.

Edited by Barry Stuart

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After not running for about 7 years I entered as well today.

Now the hard work starts

10 kg minimum to lose

Fitness level basically 0.

Here goes ....

You got enough time.... Just be very cautious of going from zero to hero... Take it very slowly.. aim for a qualifier in march and try to only ramp up mileage by 10%... Especially since your beans won't be used to the pounding

You got enough time.... Just be very cautious of going from zero to hero... Take it very slowly.. aim for a qualifier in march and try to only ramp up mileage by 10%... Especially since your beans won't be used to the pounding

Thanks Stretch. I take this one slow and try for that elusive BR when I turn 40 in 2019 Edited by Jaws677

I did a 24 km run last weekend 2hours and 50 min with the club. The pace was a bit higher than I expected (6.10 to 6.20) and struggled the last 3km. I normally run between 18km to 21km on the weekend with 21km at 2 hours 23min.

I entered for the kaapsehoop 42km thinking if I qualify its a bonus if I don't I gain experience. Planning a pace of 6.45pkm

great read this. column 2 ism missing the start of the sentence which is "Unbeknown to me, my 2 friends had withdrawn from the race, they were..."

My friends dad who sadly passed away this last week...but a legend he was with a best comrades position of 69....the position this story is about!

02-06-witness-compl-comrades.compressed.pdf

Karkloof 100

Leading up to the race it was a bit touch and go, about 8 weeks ago I had bad runners knee after a 30km training run which lead to me not running at all for 2 weeks. It was a tough call but in the end a good one, rather slightly under trained but in 100% health than trained but starting with a dodge knee. So I spent 2 weeks with legs up, icing knee and resting and if worked.

2 weekends back was the kinetic full moon 120km adventure race which was my final tester to see if I should still race karkloof or not. Came through that race feeling strong with no pain at all so I decided that I was good to go for Karkloof.

Leading up to the race prep was good and the mrs and I were very sharply organised in terms of plans and set up for seconding, for a race like this where you can be seconded it really can make a massive difference having your seconds on point and can really make or break it.

I did not have any pacers and next year(sh!t  not even 2 days later and thoughts of next year are arising) I will have pacers for the return leg, especially for certain sections.

THe weather on Friday at registration was well over 30 deg but thankfully the cold front moved in and it was cool and comfortable by start time at 10pm with rain expected within hours. Being the masochist that I am I actually was hoping for miserable and rainy conditions, especially for the next day, it also helps us gingers not get raped by the sun. And boy did we get those conditions...

The race itself was very well organised, I liked how it was relaxed, there was little compulsory kit but they did recomend extra stuff, some guys carried too little, some carried far to much but that is seen at every race. The organisers were approachable and it had a very welcoming communal feel to it, the organisers did an amazing job.

At 10pm we were off, 2 guys went off very hard early on, I sat in chase pack for the first 35km and then realised I was running above my pace so let them go and settled in to my own race from there. I battled with nausea for the first 60 odd km, but then started eating more cleverly and slowing right down for 5mins, eating and then getting going again which helped, also paused properly at aid stations to eat. 

I did get fairly cold coming into Mbona aid station but recovered from there, reached the turning point at Benvie in good time and took a long recovery break to eat and refuel even more but lost a few positions doing that. At that stage I realised I had totally underestimated the distance and gave up on results and just wanted to finish.

Early on the return leg I watched a friend pull out due to an achilles issue and then on the way into my the 2nd aid station on the way back my right foot felt like it was falling apart and felt like the arch was collapsing. I limped into the aid station, got the medics to tape it up as best possible and I put on the most supportive shoes I had. I managed to grind through the next few legs slowly till I reached the last aid station feeling ok. The last leg was tough though, in the dark the mist was thick and I was battling to spot the trail markers, so got lost a few times and lost a lot of time untill I hit the WESSA trail eventually, the last 8km were a slow painful slog to the end.

All in all it was a great event and I learnt a lot, relied on a lot of AR experience which got me through a few lowpoints. My 2nd was on point and really made the race a lot easier.

Feeling of accomplishment is through the roof on this one, really is something to do if you are a runner.

Hurt factor is big, legs and feet are wrecked but small price to pay.

lessons for future- 100miles is a long way, prepare more...

Well done to the organisers and other competitors, only about helf the field reached the finish line.

Karkloof 100

Leading up to the race it was a bit touch and go, about 8 weeks ago I had bad runners knee after a 30km training run which lead to me not running at all for 2 weeks. It was a tough call but in the end a good one, rather slightly under trained but in 100% health than trained but starting with a dodge knee. So I spent 2 weeks with legs up, icing knee and resting and if worked.

2 weekends back was the kinetic full moon 120km adventure race which was my final tester to see if I should still race karkloof or not. Came through that race feeling strong with no pain at all so I decided that I was good to go for Karkloof.

Leading up to the race prep was good and the mrs and I were very sharply organised in terms of plans and set up for seconding, for a race like this where you can be seconded it really can make a massive difference having your seconds on point and can really make or break it.

I did not have any pacers and next year(****  not even 2 days later and thoughts of next year are arising) I will have pacers for the return leg, especially for certain sections.

THe weather on Friday at registration was well over 30 deg but thankfully the cold front moved in and it was cool and comfortable by start time at 10pm with rain expected within hours. Being the masochist that I am I actually was hoping for miserable and rainy conditions, especially for the next day, it also helps us gingers not get raped by the sun. And boy did we get those conditions...

The race itself was very well organised, I liked how it was relaxed, there was little compulsory kit but they did recomend extra stuff, some guys carried too little, some carried far to much but that is seen at every race. The organisers were approachable and it had a very welcoming communal feel to it, the organisers did an amazing job.

At 10pm we were off, 2 guys went off very hard early on, I sat in chase pack for the first 35km and then realised I was running above my pace so let them go and settled in to my own race from there. I battled with nausea for the first 60 odd km, but then started eating more cleverly and slowing right down for 5mins, eating and then getting going again which helped, also paused properly at aid stations to eat. 

I did get fairly cold coming into Mbona aid station but recovered from there, reached the turning point at Benvie in good time and took a long recovery break to eat and refuel even more but lost a few positions doing that. At that stage I realised I had totally underestimated the distance and gave up on results and just wanted to finish.

Early on the return leg I watched a friend pull out due to an achilles issue and then on the way into my the 2nd aid station on the way back my right foot felt like it was falling apart and felt like the arch was collapsing. I limped into the aid station, got the medics to tape it up as best possible and I put on the most supportive shoes I had. I managed to grind through the next few legs slowly till I reached the last aid station feeling ok. The last leg was tough though, in the dark the mist was thick and I was battling to spot the trail markers, so got lost a few times and lost a lot of time untill I hit the WESSA trail eventually, the last 8km were a slow painful slog to the end.

All in all it was a great event and I learnt a lot, relied on a lot of AR experience which got me through a few lowpoints. My 2nd was on point and really made the race a lot easier.

Feeling of accomplishment is through the roof on this one, really is something to do if you are a runner.

Hurt factor is big, legs and feet are wrecked but small price to pay.

lessons for future- 100miles is a long way, prepare more...

Well done to the organisers and other competitors, only about helf the field reached the finish line.

Wow, Well Done. That is one tough Race. Also a race that Is on my bucket list.

Edited by Lexx

Well After about 10 days of no running because of Influenza, I ran a 13km on Saturday afternoon. Lungs were burning and legs were tired. But I was happy to just run again.

I am one week into my complete liver detox (No caffeine, no alcohol, no wheat, no sugar). The weekend before the long weekend I thought I am going to die... literally. I had all the detox symptoms - body aches, headaches, fever, and after a couple of days, I had a full-blown cold. The doctor recommended no medication, no vitamins. So I went completely cold turkey. I went for a 36km ride on Sunday, lungs burning and feeling a bit dizzy, but I survived. Yesterday I went for an 8km run, lungs still not very happy with me. The good news is that I didn't feel nauseous at all! The detox is for a month.... I truly miss my coffee :(

Now to get the fitness levels up again for Satellite Classic, 94.7 and my favorite... Tough One.

Still struggling with ITB injury (although feels like it is improving), so stayed off the running. 106km cycle Saturday, 85km cycle Sunday, 2km swim Monday.

Will try a 30-40min light run on the treadmill this evening to see how the ITB feels as am possibly running Irene Village 21km this Saturday.