ScottCM

180km taper week. Insane.

And he doesn't have a rest day. His rest day is to only run once a day...

Edited by Hacc

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When do you start on Saturday? I'm heading back up from Hilton on Saturday morning and can detour around Harrismith through Bergville instead to drop off a pack. I've got an Osprey Dura 1.5 pack with me that you're welcome to use if the race isn't starting out at sparrows on that morning.

Thanks Barry, incredibly generous offer... we're on top of things though - I do have another Inov8 pack I'm going to use and my wife is going to use my CamelBak Marathoner pack so we should be sorted. Condition look like being wet in the Berg this weekend so having more packing space is probably a good thing. It's sure going to be an adventure any which way, we've clearly bitten off a bit more than we're ready for, but hey... we won't forget it I reckon.

And such a beautiful part of the world to spend some long hours inĀ  :thumbup:

That FNB 10k through Joburg CBD was awesome by the way - very slick race... ran with my wife and had a lekker jol... see there are Cape Town and Durban versions too, would recommend them thoroughly, even if it us just 10kms, it's the kind of morning you remember above othersĀ  :thumbup:

Ā 

Did it too. Was a lot of fun. Also set new 5km and 10km PBs.Ā 

Ā 

Anyone can recommend some shorter road races? Can't seem to find anything for this year.Ā 

Im on 915km's with my Nike Pegasus 33's. Stretched them a bit because running shoes aren't cheap now.....

Ā 

Go have a look at the Nike Factory Stores. Picked up some 33's a few weeks back for R770 after they had a 30% off sale .

Edited by Khronis

Very interesting article Haac. I love him because he is so simple in his approach. You see the importance of fartleks and the odd speed session.. Even though he doesn't do much of that. What interested me is the reference to 5 5:15 tempo 40km runs... But then right at the end they threw in that some of the tempo runs were 2:13 hours for that same 40km "tempo" run!

Very interesting article Haac. I love him because he is so simple in his approach. You see the importance of fartleks and the odd speed session.. Even though he doesn't do much of that. What interested me is the reference to 5 5:15 tempo 40km runs... But then right at the end they threw in that some of the tempo runs were 2:13 hours for that same 40km "tempo" run!

I enjoyed watching him run on Sunday. He makes it looks so effortless. He has only lost one marathon in his running career!Ā  He was smiling most of the way and he even helped the novice Adola running with him, explaining the blue line to him. The commentators mentioned he is quite rich but he is very humble and heĀ helps with most of the chores at the running training camps they have.

Edited by Hacc

Decided to run my first half marathon yesterday. Quite a flat route. Harder than I thought but made it home in 2 hours 30 minutes.

Now the bug has bitten. I want to do another one but train properly for it.

Anyone got a half marathon training program I can follow or know where I can find one please

On my morning run my left knee started to pain just after 7km and at 9km I had to call it. The pain was just below the patella on the left. If I walk for 100m I could run for 300m and then have to wak again. I took it really easy week with only 9km. Was planning a 32km with the club. My runs on the weekend is between 15-24km.

Ā 

Any suggestion?

On my morning run my left knee started to pain just after 7km and at 9km I had to call it. The pain was just below the patella on the left. If I walk for 100m I could run for 300m and then have to wak again. I took it really easy week with only 9km. Was planning a 32km with the club. My runs on the weekend is between 15-24km.

Any suggestion?

Not a lot to go on but here goes:

1: have a good look at your shoes; do they still absorb shock in heel & forefoot? Are they excessively worn? Are they both worn the same?

2: have you increased running distance/duration/frequency/speed recently (last month/3 weeks)?

3: have you changed running surface recently (road to trail/ trail to road/ etc)?

Ā 

I would suggest some exercises to strengthen your quads & hip flexors done regularly but not to exhaustion, and do shorter runs on level grass or jeep tracks for a week to 10 days. Mostly suspect worn shoes, or new shoes with excessive motion-control.

Ā 

hope this helps

Edited by amr63

Decided to run my first half marathon yesterday. Quite a flat route. Harder than I thought but made it home in 2 hours 30 minutes.

Now the bug has bitten. I want to do another one but train properly for it.

Anyone got a half marathon training program I can follow or know where I can find one please

If you want a well designed training plan it's difficult to beat Jack Daniels Running Formula.

On the other hand (Darren), if you prefer the simple method, just work steadily up to an hour of running per day at a comfortable to steady pace 6 days a week, with a race after 6-weeks.

Ā 

hope this helps.