ScottCM

Life expectancy of running shoes are generally around the 800-900km mark, unless you use them for other daily activities or gym stuff as well

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What glasses do you run with?

I use Rudy Project Agon Impact X Photochromic

http://www.rudyproject.co.za/agon.html#SP297306-NNG2

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

I really enjoy them because of the thin arms that are slightly curved. Even though i don't have a  round face, its allows you to easily put them back on over your helmet straps while riding. Then lenses are wide enough to block wind and the narrow arms allow for plenty cooling as not to fog up. 

On the run i don't notice them on my face, even when needing to wipe sweat from my brow it can easily be done without have to remove them.

I was always an Oakley fan but after i bought these i wont go back.

BUT, there is a reason there are so many variety's on the market, not everyone likes the same things. Best bet is to fit them on and them make a decision.

Because Glasses are a 5 - 10year investment at modern day prices, I intentionally went for a 5km run to the mall and was all hot and bothered by the time i entered the store to fit them so i could get a sense of how they would fit and whether or not they would bug my in the heat of the moment. Disclaimer: I did get plenty funny looks though.  

More discussions on the sunglass topic round page 382

Thanks for all the shoe mileage posts.

I have done about 400km on my Kinvara's now but have done quiet a bit of off road running with them and cannot see them lasting another 400km. 

I have done about 400km on my Kinvara's now but have done quiet a bit of off road running with them and cannot see them lasting another 400km. 

I used to get about 700km on Kinvaras. By then there was less outsole left than Nike Free; less cushioning left than Vivobarefoot; and less upper left than LUNA Sandals. 

Kinvaras don't last all that long. I shocked the sales guy when I got my Freedoms to replace Kinvaras when I said I got about 700 out of it. But by then it was in about the same condition as Cobus described! And I got some pains on every run, so it was time.

Kinvaras don't last all that long. I shocked the sales guy when I got my Freedoms to replace Kinvaras when I said I got about 700 out of it. But by then it was in about the same condition as Cobus described! And I got some pains on every run, so it was time.

How do you find the freedoms? I fitted them the other day and they feel very nice. But R2900 is more than what I want to spend on shoes.

How do you find the freedoms? I fitted them the other day and they feel very nice. But R2900 is more than what I want to spend on shoes.

Really like them! They do fit a bit different to the Kinvara. But they just want to take off! Thusfar I am even contemplating them for longer runs. Think longest I've done was a half, but they're "advertised" for longer runs and my feet was still really very happy after the half. 

They do feel a bit more direct underfoot for me. So as such, I won't describe them as highly cushioned. But strangely comfortable - maybe it just suits my style. Then again, Kinvara almost similar.

I justified the price by utilising Vitality Shoe booster...  :whistling:  Otherwise I agree. I buy all my other shoes (except Altra's, which never are) on special. 

If you are not in a desperate rush for them, wait until early Jan.  Sportsmans always have a "Yellow Ticket" sale then and most running shoes are at half price.  For me am not fussed if is last years model that get a yellow ticket

Really like them! They do fit a bit different to the Kinvara. But they just want to take off! Thusfar I am even contemplating them for longer runs. Think longest I've done was a half, but they're "advertised" for longer runs and my feet was still really very happy after the half.

They do feel a bit more direct underfoot for me. So as such, I won't describe them as highly cushioned. But strangely comfortable - maybe it just suits my style. Then again, Kinvara almost similar.

I justified the price by utilising Vitality Shoe booster... :whistling: Otherwise I agree. I buy all my other shoes (except Altra's, which never are) on special.

I got the kinvaras with the shoe booster and still have a long way to go before I can boost again.

At the moment I only have this one pair of running shoes. So I am looking to get something as a second pair that will be more durable. But still cannot decide if I should get a trail running shoe or a high mileage road shoe.

Get both! You know you want to...  ;)

Depends on how much trail you run and how tech the trail is. Since you are used to running low drop shoes, maybe keep an eye out for specials on the Inov-8's? Also as mentioned above, I do most of my shopping at yellow ticket sales. Really could not be bothered whether it's a season or two ago's shoe. And -since it seems you're also a Saucony fan- actually got my Peregrines there at a really nice price. Likewise for road I got a set of FF Zante for under 1k and can save training mileage on the Freedoms. 

I road run on Nike Pegasus, got 866km from the last pair, but changed the insoles once, 1011km on the pair before them.

Lots of good indicators from all. I pushed a pair of NB Leadville's to 1 300km thinking I did well.

It caused me an injury which I'm really battling to get to clear. I only realised how shot the shoes were when I put the new pair on. After doing a lot of reading it appears that the manufacturers want you to change at 600 - 800km's. I believe from my experience that that is the magic number.

Get both! You know you want to...  ;)

Depends on how much trail you run and how tech the trail is. Since you are used to running low drop shoes, maybe keep an eye out for specials on the Inov-8's? Also as mentioned above, I do most of my shopping at yellow ticket sales. Really could not be bothered whether it's a season or two ago's shoe. And -since it seems you're also a Saucony fan- actually got my Peregrines there at a really nice price. Likewise for road I got a set of FF Zante for under 1k and can save training mileage on the Freedoms. 

Oh yes I do want both.

The peregrines has my name all over them.

Let me think about it.

wait thinking part is over now.

This will be the to me from me chrismas present.

I road run on Nike Pegasus, got 866km from the last pair, but changed the insoles once, 1011km on the pair before them.

I rotate between two pairs of Pegasus and a pair of Vomeros. So far it looks like they will last much longer than any of my other shoes.

On a pair of NB980s I got exactly 199km before they were toast. The NB rep blamed it on an aggressive toe off????

On my Salomon trail shoes I get just under 500km. They still look fine but after that they just kill my feet.

Edited by Mudsimus