ScottCM

I have only ever run marathons while training for comrades.. But I would normally just do my normal training till the Tuesday.. Then take wed Thurs Fri off with a very slow 30 min on Saturday with some strides thrown in to those 30 min. Did the same before 2 oceans too

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I put in a long run tomorrow I can make it to the top 3 for the last week of 2017 on the HUB Strava group.be5ea8bc7b6dcf31eaeb985bf6cd8d2c.jpg

If I put in a long run tomorrow I can make it to the top 3 for the last week of 2017 on the HUB Strava group.be5ea8bc7b6dcf31eaeb985bf6cd8d2c.jpg

If I knew it was a competition I would have not rested up for new year..........

Crap... I should not have had a hangover on the 31st... Could have been in the top 3.

Happy 2018 everyone!! May it be your best running year to date.

I got a reminder that it is Varsity Kudus on Sunday.. Ugh, feel 3kgs heavier even with all the training while on holiday.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Crap... I should not have had a hangover on the 31st... Could have been in the top 3.

Happy 2018 everyone!! May it be your best running year to date.

I got a reminder that it is Varsity Kudus on Sunday.. Ugh, feel 3kgs heavier even with all the training while on holiday.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My 2018 started where it left off in 2017 - still injured. Achilles Tendonitis. Running any significant mileage is a real struggle at the moment. 

I will at least be well rested should I get to OMTOM.

So I've started my 2018 off with two new presents for myself. My first pair of trail shoes (Asics Gecko XT - picked them up for R1599 at Randburg Runner) and a hint of ITB. Meaning I can't test my first pair of trail shoes.

Was hoping to do Varsity Kudus this weekend but I think I'm going to err on the side of caution and spend the week stretching it out instead. Anybody else planning on the 15km this weekend?

And for Mudsimus, there's a great saying about Comrades which probably applies to marathons somewhat. Rather arrive at the start line overweight and undertrained than underweight and overtrained. In other words, err on the side of rest and too much tapering than arriving with low energy and dead legs.

post-63043-0-96174200-1515052216_thumb.jpg

Of course its a competition, no better motivation than strava!

so are we going to post a weekly leader board every Monday?

It might be interesting to see the comments and totals, as the various races and targets come and go.

I can see the comrades runners peaking at 150km a week come May, the trail OMTOM guys looking at 120km come March and the trail runners' totals ebbing and flowing as the multistage races flow in after Rhodes.....

Edited by Paddaman

And for Mudsimus, there's a great saying about Comrades which probably applies to marathons somewhat. Rather arrive at the start line overweight and undertrained than underweight and overtrained. In other words, err on the side of rest and too much tapering than arriving with low energy and dead legs.

IMG_1995.jpg

At 70kg and 1.86m Im already underweight, I have to eat like a pig to keep it there, especially now with all the running????

I did more running that I intended for December. Will ease into my marathon and then reset going into the rest of the year. Im really feeling good at the moment and its hard to hold back. Will have to force myself to cut back for the next two weeks.

At 70kg and 1.86m Im already underweight, I have to eat like a pig to keep it there, especially now with all the running

I did more running that I intended for December. Will ease into my marathon and then reset going into the rest of the year. Im really feeling good at the moment and its hard to hold back. Will have to force myself to cut back for the next two weeks.

An interesting comment hidden in the pages of Noakes' and Williamson's books, is about the use of creatine as a weight gaining option.  Runners have generally avoiding using creatine as it tends to bulk up muscle mass if used in large doses.  (ie like the body builders). Athletes have reported up to 2kg weight gain on a 7 day (20gram: 5g x 4 dose per day) cycle.  However, if power athletes are to be believed than the strength gains are worth it.

Noakes is skeptical that the power gains justify the weight gains for endurance runners.  Williamson however, (always trying new ideas, and experimenting) found that by reducing the dosages to 2 grams a day over a 30 day cycle, endurance athletes can gain power advantages with minimal weight gain.  At 2 grams a day, you are just topping up the body's reserves, rather than overhauling the system (the body may stop producing creatine naturally at 1 gram a day, if you dose at 20g a day).

Just a thought regarding trying to gaining weight,rather than losing it.

An interesting comment hidden in the pages of Noakes' and Williamson's books, is about the use of creatine as a weight gaining option.  Runners have generally avoiding using creatine as it tends to bulk up muscle mass if used in large doses.  (ie like the body builders). Athletes have reported up to 2kg weight gain on a 7 day (20gram: 5g x 4 dose per day) cycle.  However, if power athletes are to be believed than the strength gains are worth it.

Noakes is skeptical that the power gains justify the weight gains for endurance runners.  Williamson however, (always trying new ideas, and experimenting) found that by reducing the dosages to 2 grams a day over a 30 day cycle, endurance athletes can gain power advantages with minimal weight gain.  At 2 grams a day, you are just topping up the body's reserves, rather than overhauling the system (the body may stop producing creatine naturally at 1 gram a day, if you dose at 20g a day).

Just a thought regarding trying to gaining weight,rather than losing it.

Creatine is also known to cause cramping in some people, so while its worth experimenting with it...do it looong before your big event

is about the use of creatine as a weight gaining option. 

An excuse to eat more biltong   :clap: ;) 

http://biltongtraders.co.za/blog/the-health-benefits-of-biltong-for-athletes-20150807/

One of the best health benefits of biltong is the high natural creatine content. Body builders and professional athletes that need to bulk up on muscle will know the importance of this organic acid that feeds energy to the body’s cells.

Creatine is also known to cause cramping in some people, so while its worth experimenting with it...do it looong before your big event

Creatine absorbs a lot of water (which is part of the weight gain).  So creatine without drinking lots of water will result in cramping.

If you drink lots of water remember to dose up on magnesium and zinc to prevent mineral lose (and the resulting cramping).....

It is worth experimenting long before a big event.  Creatine may/ may not help your training and recovery from training.  But probably is the wrong thing to use to quick fix for a race.

Also caffeine cancels out its effects....

At 70kg and 1.86m Im already underweight, I have to eat like a pig to keep it there, especially now with all the running

Jeepers, Muds, get that tapeworm checked out! I'm 1.79m and after Christmas I'm probably around 75kg again

If you're sitting at that weight naturally then nothing wrong, I think. The premise was probably meant for people that are trying to out-train the Comrades and calorie count their way to the start line.