ScottCM

Best not to get into that habit of taking anti inflammatory for no reason

Rather drink some chocolate milk  :thumbup:

This ^^^^^^

Also to all the guys taking special supplements, herbal remedies, traumeel, herbalife type stuff and other alternative medicine advertised as giving you the cutting edge...

If it worked as well as they claim, WADA would have banned it long ago...

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So after a terrible taper week and a 2am wake up this morning my first marathon is done and dusted. My initial plan was a 4h15, but I got persuaded to join the 4h20 bus. Because my furthest run before today was only 30km, I think it was a wise decision. The initial easy pace saved my legs, and I managed to leave them at 32km and run equal splits for a 4h14. During December I was worried that my training is not on track, but Im happy after today. So Comrades qualifying is done and the real miles can start.

Well done, solid result and obviously your training was perfect for 4h15, 

Well done Mudsimus! That is an awesome feeling to complete your first marathon - and to do it in your target time, so much better!  :thumbup:

As for the anti inflammatories - not the best idea. You use that only if you are really requiring it to heal an injury. If you really need them, you should be running because you are injured. And running with them stuffs up kidneys if you're not taking on enough water, plus you can worsen whatever niggle you're trying to heal, because you're oblivious to the pain and damage you're causing. 

For most of my runs I only take water, some long mountain session a far bar or gel just to refuel a bit. And after a really hard/long session a choc milk. (And a beer!) 

As for progress, my foot is starting to come along nicely and did a slightly longer run for the first time in ages. Darn, it is amazing how quick you "unlearn" to run - I ran really slowly yesterday and it was still a struggle to just get to 17 k's! Been used to just running  slow 10's (feedback and rehab) and cycling for a couple of months now. But at least things are starting to look up! 

Congrats with the running this weekend. 

I had a nice 10km trail run  Saturday morning.

BUT  there after  not such a good revelation.

Ran into a Running problem.  :thumbdown:  

Been having discomfort under my heels since about Xmas. 

Thought I'm just a "poefter" and I must just HTFU. 

Saturday after the run I sat down and did the Internet self diagnosis thing. 

Seems if I have a classic textbook Plantar Fasciitis  

Classic case of just to much to soon. 

Asked some advice form doctor and physio friends. 

So rest and stretching seems to  be way to go. 

Does not feel if I need to go the medication route. 

Questions I need to know. 

How long must I be off running? 

When will I know it is safe to start again?

How should I restart once I do?  Like back to 2-km runs or what?

Any input form you guys would be good. 

Especially regarding getting back to running.

I think my bikes will like this.  :devil:

PS:

Having a job where I stand all day does not help, so now I'm wearing my Croccs.

It is the softest shoes I have.  

Edited by IH8MUD

IH8MUD- Rather go see a doc, self diagnosis is like masturbation, in the end you may just be f&cking yourself, see a doc and get examined and a proper diagnosis...

As for having to work on your feet in the mean time, maybe a pair of Hoka One Ones for work, a few of the surveyors in the office are now also wearing them on non PPE sites.

just to break away from all the qualifying and comrades talk...It is very odd to not be pounding the tar every day, and extremely difficult to be doing it intermittently without a goal to aim for...but I am persevering. What I am enjoying is exploring new areas and routes in my area. Because we are away from the city all roads lead to a run through the country.

Time for me to set myself a goal though. Marathon season starts in April....its been a while since I trained only for a marathon (read never) and not just used a marathon as a training run!

Oh yes I made the top 10!!!

The scoreboard was downloaded prematurely last night, my late 18:00 run puts me at 56km and in at number 9.........

Who runs at 18:00 on a Sunday anyway  :whistling:

It is so hot in Pretoria at the moment that running any earlier will turn you into biltong.  Anyway it was my wife's 2.9km daily run....

Yoh, the testosterone is flowing on this thread... Some serious kms for the top 3 places.

I guess there is nothing wrong will a little competition...it will keep us motivated. 

Had a k@k training week last week. Hopefully will sort out my issues this week and my training can continue.

Who is qualifying this coming weekend? It is Ottosdal on Saturday and Johnson Crane on Sunday. 

Will be suffering on the bike on Saturday morning for 84km and running the 21km the evening at Ottosdal. Actually looking forward to some cycling, even though I know it is going to be a tough last 20kms. 

It is so hot in Pretoria at the moment that running any earlier will turn you into biltong.  Anyway it was my wife's 2.9km daily run....

I know what you mean, I was supposed to do a high tempo 5km run last night but the temptation of beer and the swimming pool won   :ph34r:

Edited by Mr Winter

Will be suffering on the bike on Saturday morning for 84km and running the 21km the evening at Ottosdal. Actually looking forward to some cycling, even though I know it is going to be a tough last 20kms. 

Nou toe nou...      We are registered for the 42, but will downscale to the Ottosdal 21 as well, due to December training and ITB issues that had other plans.   Looking forward to a very lekker camping weekend again.