ScottCM

Good luck to Shaper and EmJay (And anyone else partaking) for EL IM70.3 this weekend. 

We want race reports next week!!!

Yeah, good luck for that. Having suffered through the running leg of a duathlon and sworn never, ever and ever again, I have nothing but admiration for those of you that choose to compound that torture with a swim as well.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, good luck for that. Having suffered through the running leg of a duathlon and sworn never, ever and ever again, I have nothing but admiration for those of you that choose to compound that torture with a swim as well.

for me triathlons go like this-

Survive the swim as fast as you can so you don't have to actually swim as long, cos lets be real swimming sucks

Enjoy the cycle, well the first lap atleast, try not to fall aslepp on the 2nd and third laps.

Thens its a case of, ****yeah time run b**ches...

Try a tri!

"Double run" duathlons hurt way more than "just" running once ????

Try a tri!

"Double run" duathlons hurt way more than "just" running once ????

I'd long dreamed about doing a triathlon one day. Then I did the second run on that duathlon. I was looking at my watch every 100m to see when it would end.

I'd long dreamed about doing a triathlon one day. Then I did the second run on that duathlon. I was looking at my watch every 100m to see when it would end.

Duathlons are also sometimes called try-athlons:  Run- cycle-crawl

Duathlons are also sometimes called try-athlons:  Run- cycle-crawl

"baby steps" - when you get off the bike for the second run and your stride length is 5mm!

Yeah so I *was* training for the Addo 100 Miler that is 36 days away.

2 weekends ago we're camping at Tsitsikamma - I decide to go try see how fast I can get to the Waterfall and back, so I nail it. The Otter is a coastal trail so very rocky. About half a kilo before the waterfall, I violently roll my LEFT ankle on slanted rocks, and I mean badly. I sit there for a few minutes, pain, but manage to get up and "walk it off". Turn around back to camp, or soldier on? I didn't turn around.

Got to waterfall, took a quick photo, and started the run back. Was actually able to run ok, hopping from rock to rock where needed but just a bit more cautious this time because the ankle wasn't feeling lekker. When the route became more open near the end I could nail it, even managed to get a time of 57 minutes I think, Strava Top 10, chuffed. If not for the ankle it might have been 5 minutes or so faster.

Walk back to camp, ankle a bit sore, but all good. Swam a few times during the day and the cold temps helped the ankle. That afternoon my 3 year old daughter INSISTS on "trappies klim", she wants to go walk the 1mb Loerie trail, so off I have to go. Walking semi ok. I even carry her down the steep and high stairs on the other side, so its my body weight plus her 25kg. As we exit onto the tar road, the coldness of the swimming has worn off and the ankle is hurting. Walking back to camp with her and my dad, each step gets more and more painful. I eventually can't put any weight on the ankle. My dad and my daughter go up ahead to fetch the car to come pick me up.

Get back to camp, PAIN.

Wife loads me into the car, and we drive through to MediClinic Plett. Long story short, I walk out of there with a leg in a plastercast, on crutches. Doctor can't really dx anything, so just wraps it up till we're back in PE.

Few days later we're back in PE, and I'm sitting in the ortho's office. Longer story short, xrays looked like possible ligament OFF plus ankle fracture. "Better" doctor looks at images, no fracture and partial tear of one ligament with another overstretched. 2 weeks moonboot non weight baring, 2 weeks without boot, light weight baring. Foot night and blue from blood pooling on the outside. Even got bruising halfway up my leg for some reason, think I did a number on the entire lower leg.

Today is moonboot week 1 done. 

Now appreciate this. On this past Sunday, I'm crutching around the house as I have to, you put your crutches down infront of you, and you swing your legs through, "landing" on your good leg, then repeat.

There was a cushion or a heap of towels on the floor as I was trying to crutch past, so I had to narrow my crutch's position to make it past. On the "swing through" of the legs, I catch my RIGHT foot's pinky toe on the crutch, bending it 90 degrees away from the foot to the side, bang. Broken. Admittedly, I haven't had a doctor look at the toe, but I Googled plenty and it looks exactly like every other broken toe images I could find. Swollen, a bit red with lots of blue and purple. And DO NOT try to touch it.

So now I got a left leg in a moon boot, and a right foot with a 99% probability broken toe. 

And Addo is 36 days away. Addo will be 2 weeks away by the time I'm supposed to be able to walk normal again. 

I am not withdrawing.

Edited by TheJ

2 weekends ago we're camping at Tsitsikamma - I decide to go try see how fast I can get to the Waterfall and back, so I nail it. The Otter is a coastal trail so very rocky. About half a kilo before the waterfall, I violently roll my LEFT ankle on slanted rocks, and I mean badly. I sit there for a few minutes, pain, but manage to get up and "walk it off". Turn around back to camp, or soldier on? I didn't turn around.

Got to waterfall, took a quick photo, and started the run back. Was actually able to run ok, hopping from rock to rock where needed but just a bit more cautious this time because the ankle wasn't feeling lekker. When the route became more open near the end I could nail it, even managed to get a time of 57 minutes I think, Strava Top 10, chuffed. If not for the ankle it might have been 5 minutes or so faster.

Walk back to camp, ankle a bit sore, but all good. Swam a few times during the day and the cold temps helped the ankle. That afternoon my 3 year old daughter INSISTS on "trappies klim", she wants to go walk the 1mb Loerie trail, so off I have to go. Walking semi ok. I even carry her down the steep and high stairs on the other side, so its my body weight plus her 25kg. As we exit onto the tar road, the coldness of the swimming has worn off and the ankle is hurting. Walking back to camp with her and my dad, each step gets more and more painful. I eventually can't put any weight on the ankle. My dad and my daughter go up ahead to fetch the car to come pick me up.

Get back to camp, PAIN.

Wife loads me into the car, and we drive through to MediClinic Plett. Long story short, I walk out of there with a leg in a plastercast, on crutches. Doctor can't really dx anything, so just wraps it up till we're back in PE.

Few days later we're back in PE, and I'm sitting in the ortho's office. Longer story short, xrays looked like possible ligament OFF plus ankle fracture. "Better" doctor looks at images, no fracture and partial tear of one ligament with another overstretched. 2 weeks moonboot non weight baring, 2 weeks without boot, light weight baring. Foot night and blue from blood pooling on the outside. Even got bruising halfway up my leg for some reason, think I did a number on the entire lower leg.

Now appreciate this. On this past Sunday, I'm crutching around the house as I have to, you put your crutches down infront of you, and you swing your legs through, "landing" on your good leg, then repeat.

There was a cushion or a heap of towels on the floor as I was trying to crutch past, so I had to narrow my crutch's position to make it past. On the "swing through" of the legs, I catch my RIGHT foot's pinky toe on the crutch, bending it 90 degrees away from the foot to the side, bang. Broken. Admittedly, I haven't had a doctor look at the toe, but I Googled plenty and it looks exactly like every other broken toe images I could find. Swollen, a bit red with lots of blue and purple. And DO NOT try to touch it.

So now I got a left leg in a moon boot, and a right foot with a 99% probability broken toe. 

And Addo is 36 days away. Addo will be 2 weeks away by the time I'm supposed to be able to walk normal again. 

I am not withdrawing.

Dude, you need to check yourself before you wreck yourself! But seriously, that's really unlucky. I hope you heal up and, who knows, maybe the rest will actually work out? I remember that Charne Bosman lost something like three or four weeks of training before Comrades due to a broken toe and she ended up winning it. Either way, kudos for soldiering on.

Get back to camp, PAIN.

I am not withdrawing.

That just sucks!

Dude, you need to check yourself before you wreck yourself! But seriously, that's really unlucky. I hope you heal up and, who knows, maybe the rest will actually work out? I remember that Charne Bosman lost something like three or four weeks of training before Comrades due to a broken toe and she ended up winning it. Either way, kudos for soldiering on.

Agreed - if it's just going to hurt like a mofo but you can soldier on through it then do it. If you risk injury that will put you out for way longer then pull the plug and fight another day.

Agreed - if it's just going to hurt like a mofo but you can soldier on through it then do it. If you risk injury that will put you out for way longer then pull the plug and fight another day.

I am way to hard headed to quit or give up.

I'm drawing motivation from the injuries now, now I have something to prove.

I am way to hard headed to quit or give up.

I'm drawing motivation from the injuries now, now I have something to prove.

Do it!!!!!!

Nothing like adversity to make the finish more satisfying.

Get back to camp, PAIN.

I am not withdrawing.

Didn't you get sick just before last year's race?? Seems to me this race is your bogeyman...

Didn't you get sick just before last year's race?? Seems to me this race is your bogeyman...

Getting sick is part of my life. A sick person looks my way and I'm sick.

But no, went into the 2017 event fine in terms of health. Nutrition started going bad real soon and was puking from about 20km in. Bad news if you have 140km to go. It was RIDICULOUSLY warm, around 50 degrees, during the event. I couldn't really keep food or drinks down, even my plain water started tasting like warm bath water. Eventually at 102km the next day, the medic pulled me off the route. Fit enough, no doubt. Let down by nutrition (no petrol reaches the stomach, nothing reaches the legs), and the heat.

Really hoping this year its cooler and going to try TailWind sports drink.

Finished the event fine in 2016 on pure water, honey, and a few snacks along the route.