ScottCM

I ran about 100km with the Hoka's. I must say they are much more comfortable than the Asics Nimbus. They feel lighter and with way better cushioning. They also feel wider. The Asics Nimbus is generally a heavier shoe.

I enjoyed the Hoka's until I started feeling a niggle in my inner left calf. It was painful after about 5km and it happen often with the Hoka's.

I went back to my Asics and the problem went away. I see the heel-to-toe drop on the Hoka's is 9.6mm and for the Asics Nimbus 18 it is 11.7mm. I am not sure if this caused the calf problem.

I probably should have tried it out for a bit longer but I was scared of causing a serious injury before the January season started.

Try a small 3mm heel raiser under the insoles of your hoka’s

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason Im asking is because of the drop, and I have it at 5mm?

You are absolutely correct. Not sure where I found 9.6mm.

Hoka One One Clifton 3 Heel to Toe Drop: 5mm  (Hoka's website)

Asics Nimbus Heel to Toe Drop: 13mm (Runners choice website)

Try a small 3mm heel raiser under the insoles of your hoka’s

Thanks, didn't even think about it. I will give it a try. I really like the cushioning of the Hoka's

I ran about 100km with the Hoka's. I must say they are much more comfortable than the Asics Nimbus. They feel lighter and with way better cushioning. They also feel wider. The Asics Nimbus is generally a heavier shoe.

I enjoyed the Hoka's until I started feeling a niggle in my inner left calf. It was painful after about 5km and it happen often with the Hoka's. 

I went back to my Asics and the problem went away. I see the heel-to-toe drop on the Hoka's is 9.6mm and for the Asics Nimbus 18 it is 11.7mm. I am not sure if this caused the calf problem.

I probably should have tried it out for a bit longer but I was scared of causing a serious injury before the January season started.

Yeah, as Mudsimus pointed out, 7mm is a big difference in drop, your calves and achilles are going to take a while to adjust to that. But ja, I also think the Hoka is what the Nimbus should have become.

Yeah, as Mudsimus pointed out, 7mm is a big difference in drop, your calves and achilles are going to take a while to adjust to that. But ja, I also think the Hoka is what the Nimbus should have become.

I tried on a pair, and the drop is immediately noticeable. Definitely wont try them now and risk injury.

Anyone interested in buying a used (basically brand new) pair of Brooks Ghost 10 (UK10) ? I bought them for R 2600 from Sportsmans but they were the wrong size. 

Make me an offer if you interested and I will send you pics of them. They rated highly on all the running websites. https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2017/07/brooks-ghost-10-review/

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/100400585/Brooks-Ghost-10-Shoes-Cushion-Running-Shoes-Blue-Red-AW17-1102571D411UK-7-3.jpg?w=2000&h=2000&a=7

Edited by Gringo

Quick question.

Up until recently I have only done some running here and there, deciding on the day whether or not I'm gonna go for a run (still new to running).

However, this week I started a structured training program. Mon/Wed/Fri is reserved for strength training and Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun are reserved for cardio, which mainly is running with some MTBing included. (I am not following a 10km/21km/42km 'plan)

My question is regarding the strength training. Should I be including a leg work out? (Squats, Leg press etc). Currently my strength days focus on upper body strength and core workouts.

I picked up a piriformus muscle strain through running last year.

After giving the muscle time to heal over two months it is now under under strength training 3x week - squats, lunges, kettle bell stuff etc. Having core strength which extends to your hips and up your back and abs muscles is only good for you.

There is no need to be lifting heavy, light to moderate weight for your liking should do and single leg work like lunges are really good for running. 

Hacc, that is a significant difference. Just transition gradually - and most likely only after your big race for the season.

I went from 8-10 mm to zero drop without issues, but gradually. And now I jump around between low-drop shoes and since I rotate so frequently, my calves are happy. Generally between 0 and 6. Somehow 4 seems to be the sweet spot, but that may just be because my preferred brand (currently) has a 4 drop.  :whistling:  

I try and alternate between various shoes in a week - anything from 0 drop to about 10mm.

Once you are used to it, the calves etc adapts quickly.

I try and alternate between various shoes in a week - anything from 0 drop to about 10mm.

Once you are used to it, the calves etc adapts quickly.

this^^^

Find it also prevents injury by using different shoes.

That being said when it comes to the big events(anything over 50km) I will always run in something 4-8mm drop, think going extreme in either direction for a big event is not ideal so stick with a happy medium for the big runs.

Having said all of that I am doing more and more KM in the Hoka's, just so lovely and cushioned, feet and knees feel so happy after big runs

this^^^

Find it also prevents injury by using different shoes.

That being said when it comes to the big events(anything over 50km) I will always run in something 4-8mm drop, think going extreme in either direction for a big event is not ideal so stick with a happy medium for the big runs.

Having said all of that I am doing more and more KM in the Hoka's, just so lovely and cushioned, feet and knees feel so happy after big runs

Agree. I also try and do my longer runs in shoes with a modest drop, but I make sure that I do alternate between shoes in a week, even if it is a long week.

Agree. I also try and do my longer runs in shoes with a modest drop, but I make sure that I do alternate between shoes in a week, even if it is a long week.

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely start to alternate between shoes to get use to the low drop.

Edited by Hacc

You guys can thank me for the rain these last few days... 5am the last two days I've been up, all prepped, good nights sleep, about to head out and the rains have come pouring down. 

Maybe I should pop down to Cape Town for the week.

Will try again this evening  :blush:

You guys can thank me for the rain these last few days... 5am the last two days I've been up, all prepped, good nights sleep, about to head out and the rains have come pouring down. 

Maybe I should pop down to Cape Town for the week.

Will try again this evening  :blush:

Don't try and steal my thunder, Andrew. On Monday night I made a good attempt to corral my biggest crowd yet for the Tuesday morning Café Races and had 10 confirmations. Cue a maelstrom 30 minutes before the start and zero arrivals :(