ScottCM

Could have tweaked something playing squash which flared up whilst running.

Squash can be pretty hectic on the legs if you don't play regularly!

I played a game of squash yesterday, first time in probably a year. My glutes and quads are so sore it’s unbelievable, definitely a great workout.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played a game of squash yesterday, first time in probably a year. My glutes and quads are so sore it’s unbelievable, definitely a great workout.

Know the feeling!! Squash is a serious workout...

I have come to the conclusion that consistency is the overriding factor in building fitness/health; frequent short runs are better than a few long runs. Our national obsession with ultra-distance constantly tugs us into running/riding long, before we’re really ready.

Edited by amr63

I have come to the conclusion that consistency is the overriding factor in building fitness/health; frequent short runs are better than a few long runs. Our national obsession with ultra-distance constantly tugs us into running/riding long before we’re really ready.

Agreed!

Human nature to push our boundaries plus “peer pressure” which both tend to overrule sensible long term thought.

That is absolutely true. First get a good base to work from, then all the other things will fall in place.

My setup is pretty good I'm sure, been dialled in on my Mtb for years... what might be more of an issue is just me not being used to riding anymore - basically only been doing 2/3 rides a year for the last 3 years - so it might be a shock to the system when I do, causing some minor issues which then blow up when go for a run after...

I guess just like we have to respect building up our running, me just doing long rides on a whim might also not be very productive

My wife has suffered the exact same calf issue many times over the years, always a few days to weeks after some cycling. She is your typical annual cyclist who only cycles a few times a year and in hindsight I think because she is already running fit she does to much to soon on the bike. It then catches up to her and while running her calf becomes very painful, even to touch.

Traditionally she has always had tight Achilles and I think the ankling action (foot does not stay flat during each 360 deg of pedal stroke) works the calves and Achilles in a different way to running, so the running fitness does not help.

Foam rolling on the calf area before and after running has helped, as well as doing calf extension exercises.

Good luck, hope you come right quickly

Jaws, FWIW, the race predictor is semi useless. It does not take anything into account (such as age, etc) other than VO2Max you are currently on. So my predictor and somebody half my age with the same VO2Max will be exactly the same. 

Good luck for the marathon!

Jaws, FWIW, the race predictor is semi useless. It does not take anything into account (such as age, etc) other than VO2Max you are currently on. So my predictor and somebody half my age with the same VO2Max will be exactly the same.

Good luck for the marathon!

Thanks Seabee

Aimed for sub 4. Finished in 3h58m

I had a long talk with myself from 36km. I totally forgot about the pain

Picked up a calf injury on my run Weds... my post ride running injury issue continues. This is why I pretty much stopped riding as this is probably the 5th time my calf has packed up going for a run after a ride...

I was sure to have a proper stretch after my ride on Sunday and was having a great run until this shot out of nowhere and I ended up limping home. Could barely walk yesterday despite lots of ice, it's a bit better today at least, but no Johnsons Crane for me Sunday.

Anybody else struggled with this? I know the two sports counter each other to a point, but this is getting a bit ridiculous. I really want to get back into my riding, but can't afford to lose training time. I train too little as it is already

Any thoughts? Seeing my physio Monday and then will most likely will book in to see my Bio and try get some further insight from her

Bloody frustrating :mellow:

O no Andrew, sorry to hear about your injury. Hope it gets sorted out soon. I guess you don't have a choice but to stay off the bike before Comrades.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

O no Andrew, sorry to hear about your injury. Hope it gets sorted out soon. I guess you don't have a choice but to stay off the bike before Comrades.

Or he could sell his entry to me should I qualify

Sneaky sneaky

Or he could sell his entry to me should I qualify

Sneaky sneaky

You don't have to wait for Andrew. There are plenty of substitutes available once substitutions open.. I guess you have been thinking about it then???

Our Akasia marathon went according to plan. I ended up with 3h52 and my wife about 2min behind me. We ran together up to 34km, at which time she told me to go ahead and run my own race. We had rain from about 23km onwards, of which the first 1hr was really hard rain.

So somehow I feel we were really lucky and fortunate. The 5:30 start and rain definitely helped. Looking back at our training the past 4 weeks we shouldn't have been so fortune. My log for the past 4 weeks were 60km; 60km; 41km and 26km. My wife's log for the past 4 weeks were 46km; 50km; 36km and 26km. We were definitely not over-trained going into te race. Added to that we both had some injury concens. So I'm very glad we got our qualifier out the way without any major hiccups.

You don't have to wait for Andrew. There are plenty of substitutes available once substitutions open.. I guess you have been thinking about it then???

It is actually on the calendar for next year.

Will see how my first marathon goes and then make a decision.

Our Akasia marathon went according to plan. I ended up with 3h52 and my wife about 2min behind me. We ran together up to 34km, at which time she told me to go ahead and run my own race. We had rain from about 23km onwards, of which the first 1hr was really hard rain.

So somehow I feel we were really lucky and fortunate. The 5:30 start and rain definitely helped. Looking back at our training the past 4 weeks we shouldn't have been so fortune. My log for the past 4 weeks were 60km; 60km; 41km and 26km. My wife's log for the past 4 weeks were 46km; 50km; 36km and 26km. We were definitely not over-trained going into te race. Added to that we both had some injury concens. So I'm very glad we got our qualifier out the way without any major hiccups.

Well done to both of you !! ????????

It is actually on the calendar for next year.

Will see how my first marathon goes and then make a decision.

Definitely no need to rush it... it's not going anywhere! And when you get that qualifier out the way and make a call, entries are pretty easy to find should you want to. Especially this year I reckon as a lot of people pulled the trigger that will most likely not be lining up at PMB in June. Ultras are not everyones cup of tea.

Where the rest of the race reports guys n girls?

Barry I see your Johnsons went nicely - how did the pacing plan work for Comrades?