ScottCM

This is the sad dilemma, to be good at something you have to concentrate specifically on that something.

I can live with it for now - being fit enough to keep up.

Race (Wheel suck) in A, or help pace in B/C

And run 3 times a week

Good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nervous definitely, specially after I saw on the website that you will not be allowed to start the second half after 8:30.

"Marathon runners will not be permitted to start second lap of 42.2 km distance after 08h30."

Start is 6:00 to 6:10 and I wanted to start after the initial rush. Which then means if I am aiming for a 5 hour run I will most likely be at half way around 8:30. I don't want to cut it to close so I guess I will have to start as close to 6 as I can.

Good Luck Carpet!

Try relax and not stress to much on half way, stick to your pace and save some vooma for those last 10 km's.

Talking about mileage.    You lot are falling behind, you will have to up the schedule!

Talking about mileage.    You lot are falling behind, you will have to up the schedule!

To put things in perspective, the top 100 miler guys are running more and with more elevation-

Jim Walsmley has run over 34676m elevation gain over 865km in 2018, compared to the 840km with 11000m and Jim has done 5 less runs. the mileage is ridiculous actually

To put things in perspective

Some more perspective.  Shaun is 56 years old.   :wacko:

Edited by Jackes

Good luck to all running races this weekend! 

Carpet enjoy your first marathon. Don't stress too much about the time, enjoy the first one. 

I remember with my first marathon there were lots of experienced runners that helped me along the way. Don't count the kilometers. I count the number of water tables.... which is roughly 12 on a marathon... it just feels better counting to 12 instead of 42... Have a blast!!

Carpet, enjoy - it is a great experience! Know it's going to hurt a bit for the last 7 or so. Don't go out hard and enjoy the vibe rather than worrying about results. The only result that counts is crossing the finish line. 

Agree with Hacc - run from water table to water table. At the next table you are (roughly) 3k's further. And work it into even greater chunks by thinking you'll drink your first bit of gel at table x, then then next at table y... or drink water until table x and then a coke/powerade/whatever is available.

I need some advice from the experienced runners please?

I have bagged 2x IMSA marathons, which in my mind doesn't count as it was 5h40 walks, and 1x real marathon (Kaapsehoop). As part of my prep for IMSA and OMTOM this year, I want to do the flat Diamnd marathon tomorrow. Quite looking forward to this one

After a 5hr bike last weekend followed by a 2hr 21k at deloittes, I feel a little bruised with some niggles in the lower legs, but only when I run. Tiredness is gone at least. Average mileage is about 40k -45k per week. 

Am I chickening out if I don't do the 42k tomorrow, or should I just go for it and bag another sub 5hr run. 

Would appreciate some advice from you guys.

I need some advice from the experienced runners please?

I have bagged 2x IMSA marathons, which in my mind doesn't count as it was 5h40 walks, and 1x real marathon (Kaapsehoop). As part of my prep for IMSA and OMTOM this year, I want to do the flat Diamnd marathon tomorrow. Quite looking forward to this one

After a 5hr bike last weekend followed by a 2hr 21k at deloittes, I feel a little bruised with some niggles in the lower legs, but only when I run. Tiredness is gone at least. Average mileage is about 40k -45k per week.

Am I chickening out if I don't do the 42k tomorrow, or should I just go for it and bag another sub 5hr run.

Would appreciate some advice from you guys.

With 40 -50 percweek you have the miles

But Listen to your body, I think you know what it’s saying