ScottCM

Speedy recovery Mudsimus! Agree with the rest - do some cross training and bank on your base. It won't disappear overnight. 

And maybe go into the it with Andrew's strategy?!  :whistling: That is if and only if healed. No use buggering up the entire rest of the year potentially for one run. I know it's a special one for those doing it, but still. Longterm is much more important.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a miracle happens and I can run beginning of April I’ll be there. Will just write of March as a rest month

I took off almost 3 weeks in March last year due to a injury and getting sick. I don't think it effected my race day in the end. I probably benefited from the forced rest, I had 70k, 35k and 39k weeks. the 70 was only becasue it included vaal. 

You will be good. 

The Saucony Kinvara 8 has been added to www.sportsclearance.co.za site and currently retailing for 1700. I have received 1 discount voucher / Coupon code of R400 (valid until tomorrow night).

This brings the price down to R1300 which is a steal.

Since I can only shoe boost in May and my current shoes are completely finished...

I am very tempted to get a pair

https://www.sportsclearance.co.za/collections/mens-road/products/kinvara-8-mens-1?variant=7142162071603

:wacko: nothing available in my size.

If anyone wants the discount code...send me a PM

Edited by Carpet

If a miracle happens and I can run beginning of April I’ll be there. Will just write of March as a rest month[emoji1]

Good luck with the rest and recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CONGRATS FROSTY!!!  Well done on a well-executed plan. I like the 21km distance, you don't feel buggered afterward. I also said I will never go further than a 21... My first 21km was Om Die Dam. I remember I drove passed the 50km runners after I finished and I thought to myself what is wrong with these people? I am doing my 5th ODD Ultra this weekend, so be careful of the ultra/marathon bug that might just bite you.

Yesterday I went to a biokinetikist that specializes in running injuries to get to the bottom of my Achilles injury. He diagnosed me with a small partial tear in the Achilles. According to him its not related to running form or over training but due to physical trauma. I have no idea how that happened. Anyway that looks like the end of Comrades. Two weeks of no running and then further evaluation. Will try to get back onto the bike now, for what its worth.

This really sucks Mudsimus!! Good luck with the recovery, I hope you will be ready by the 10th of June. If not, then there is another Comrades next year. Rather get your injury sorted, else you might just prolong it. 

Om Die Dam weather, nice and cool with some drops perhaps:

https://www.yr.no/place/South_Africa/North-West/Hartbeespoortdam/hour_by_hour.html

Looks like it is going to be a wet one... It will be my first cool ODD. I am looking forward to the reverse route, I wasn't looking forward to the old Pelindaba stretch and the last 8km after Jasmyn. I think the reverse route will still be tough.

Good luck to all running ODD tomorrow. I am taking it easy tomorrow, trying to keep the nauseous feeling under control. ODD is just a mental run for me. If I can survive it then I know I will be ok at OMTOM and Comrades.

Have a good running weekend!

Good luck with the rest and recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I posted about my Achilles acting up I knew something was up, but I still tried running on and off up until this week. Really stupid move. Why cant we just stop running when we are injured ????. I definitely made it worse, but atleast I went from denial to acceptance. I’ll just let it heal properly.

CONGRATS FROSTY!!!  Well done on a well-executed plan. I like the 21km distance, you don't feel buggered afterward. I also said I will never go further than a 21... My first 21km was Om Die Dam. I remember I drove passed the 50km runners after I finished and I thought to myself what is wrong with these people? I am doing my 5th ODD Ultra this weekend, so be careful of the ultra/marathon bug that might just bite you.

I've learnt over the years to refrain from saying "never", which is why I'm saying that I have no ambition/desire to run further than 21Km. Never is a long time.

For me, the next goal is the 15Km Colgate run in May, umm, actually the Lumo Nite run 8.5Km next month (PWC Bike park).

f3e10e90a8a15ba09ab7c0d8c8c18d99.jpg

I had a great run at ODD yesterday .

We had the best running weather which definitely helped a lot. I took it as a training run as I didn't want to risk an injury at this stage. The plan was for 6min/km so 5hours.

I finished in 5:05 the last 3km caught me a bit off guard.

I chuked a mattres and bedding into the back of my bakkie and left Johannesburg at 2:00. I was probably the third car at parking . I then slept until 5:00

Due to the traffic the start of the race was delayed with 30min which was not that bad because of the cloudy weather.

I will definitely be back next year.

Edited by Jaws677

Ran a PW at ODD. Felt nauseous from the start and it didn't get much better. Was contemplating to just run the 21km and it took a lot of will power to convince myself to continue.

We couldn't have asked for better weather. The traffic getting to the venue was a complete disaster. How on earth do you close one road to the venue at 3:30 already and expect 20 000 runners to use one single entrance. Some of the runners had to park 5km away and after finishing had to walk back to their cars. Luckily we also left early and we slept in the parking until 5.

I think the reverse route is easier. Maybe the cooler weather played a roll. I walked quite a bit on the uphills. I caught an unofficial bus when we turned right into the Pelindaba section. For the first time ever a bus helped me. We ran the whole Pelindaba section and only stopped at one water point. After we turned right toward Lakelands I felt better and decide to go on my own and not run with the bus. I caught a 70 year old with 5 km to go and his battery died. I helped him to the finish mat and he ran a PB! We made sub 6 with one minute to spare.

I don't know if I will do this race if there is no road closure. I felt very unsafe on the road today with traffic coming from all directions. At some parts there were cars on the left and right side of the runners. It was so dangerous with rain as well.

I am glad I continued as this is time on the legs and mentally I needed this. I am taking it easy for the next 2 weeks until our fun run in Cape Town.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by Hacc

Had a disastrous ODD, staying 8.5km's from the start we still only parked 3km's from the start at 6am after 2 hours of enjoying man kind at his absolute selfish best in what can only be described as a world class cluster f*#$. Surprised there weren't any deaths from road rage frankly... can't believe how self entitled my fellow humans generally are.

We got to the start around 6:20, but I already wasn't feeling great, with a very tight/cramping stomach. Weather was great, absolutely perfect frankly, so was amped to head out and enjoy getting Saartjies out the way nice and early. Ran with the wife and some club mates early on and all seemed in order apart from my iffy feeling stomach. Got over Saartjies quite easily (it's a whole lot easier at 15kms versus 35km's, but that was when things rapidly unravelled. At the bottom of the hill I suddenly had to make haste for the bushes and emptied out what felt like half a swimming pool - it was almost as though my body had not absorbed any of the fluid I had drunk that morning. Feeling a little better I carried on after a quick rehidrat, only to repeat the process about 5km's further on. Feeling very weak then, I sat down on a roadside fence and took a few moments to catch my breath and think this through. I pushed on again, hoping to carch a third wind, but only found myself feeling very weak and drained, so at the next water point I called it a day. Yis it's *** bailing, but with Oceans in two weeks I decided that trashing my body was maybe not the smartest idea.

Must say I am not too sure I will be back, the logistics were a disaster, the traffic management equally bad - seriously not cool running down a main road with cars & trucks driving either side of you in pouring rain - wouldn't be remotely surprised if someone didn't get hit

Well done to those that ran, the new route certainly felt a bit easier for the first half+ I ran and most of my club mates felt the same. Might be a nice option to rotate things - but that's if I ever go back again...

I think you made the right call stopping Andrew. The last 10km were tough. Was it just me or did some of the the water sachets tastes funny? It is truly just a miracle that no runner were hit by a car / truck yesterday... I will send my complaints email to the organizers tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hey guys I'm struggling to find decent accommodation in Pietermaritzburg between the 8th and the 10th of June. 

Does anyone know of any well priced accommodation that I can look into. I'm looking for 6 people?